Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile US stereotypes of the French - per Lambert Wilson

This post is somewhat off-topic for this thread, but I hope it might prove useful, and not too discouraging, for our French friends who aspire to work in America.

I reference a US radio interview of the French actor Lambert Wilson, lately of the new French film Des hommes et des dieux. The interesting part is the fifth and sixth minutes of the audio file here.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..."

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/49q59A8OhM8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 AM

LE_LOUP_DES_STEPPES is on a distinguished road

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6PDmZnG8KsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8QOxKCKC09A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

I honestly hope Alizee never makes an album to specifically target the huge English-speaking market. I know some international artists sing in English as opposed to their native language for this purpose, but it would be a mistake unless those songs are originally English songs. For example, Alizee's cover version of La Isla Bonita is perfect, but the English version of Jen ai' Marre is butchered to appeal to an English-speaking audience.

I remember Alizee addressing the subject of singing in English. She said she was trying to learn English because it was ridiculous singing in a language she didn't even understand because she couldn't put her emotions and inflection in words she didn't know. I agree. So Alizee, keep singing in French. We love your voice even though we don't know what you're saying.

As for songs with French lyrics succeeding in the English-speaking market, the only non-English song (much less French) that I can even think of was Nena's German 99 Luftballoons (which they later butchered to make an English version). I'm pretty sure Alizee would have succeeded in the U.S. with Jen ai' Marre, Moi Lolita, and a few other songs in their original French versions.

Blondie sang their hit Sunday Girl in French. I wonder if this song sounds butchered in French:

I like both English and French versions.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Maquis View Post
Here is some of Yelle's new stuff, even Katy Perry Tweeted this song it to all her millions of followers:
She's also supporting Katy Perry on her tour in the UK... I think that if Alizée had someone really established in the music industry promote her then it would do wonders for her international career in English speaking countries. I know a British singer who's relatively well-known in the UK (and USA I think?) called Marina and the Diamonds who has said on several occasions that she's an Alizée fan in interviews and tweeted the Moi... Lolita music video to her 70 000 odd followers.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Alizée alone among singers transcends being French?

On 09/03/2011, 20:28 an anonymous person writes about Alizée here:

Je n'aurais jamais cru qu'une chanteuse française soit aussi bien connu à l'étranger.
tous ses clips sur Youtube, même en français, sont commentés en anglais, en russe, en chinois, en espagnol, cyrillique..., c'est incroyable et pas de français.

Rien à voir avec les clips de Nolwenn, Jenifer,Mylène, ou tout autre...
assez étonnant.

In English:

I never thought that a French singer would be as well known abroad.
all her videos on Youtube, even in French, are commented in English, Russian, Chinese, Spanish, Cyrillic..., it is incredible and no French.

Nothing like this is seen with the videos of Nolwenn, Jenifer, Mylène, or anyone else ...
pretty astonishing.

<hr>
Motus et bouche qui n'dis pas
À maman que je suis un phénomène...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Hmm...thanks for pointing that out FanDe! Pretty nice comment to read
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

This is something that I hope Alizée takes under consideration in the future. I understand her desire to win over the French public again, but she definitely has potential in other countries as well. No doubt that is why she has included some English and Spanish in her last album. It's too bad we couldn't get "Limelight" played on the radio in the US. Hopefully, if she does another album, she will have an English song available in the English speaking world that has more mass appeal.

Tags
america, french, hits, lyrics, songs