Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did her new album fail?
Her clothing 0 0%
Deviation from mainstream pop 4 7.69%
Her long absense 1 1.92%
lack of sexiness 1 1.92%
lack of dance 2 3.85%
ineptitude of the record company 2 3.85%
Bad or lack of TV performances 0 0%
Bad producers 1 1.92%
Marriage 1 1.92%
Overall quality of album (I am sure no one is gonna vote for this) 3 5.77%
Bad single choice and music video 3 5.77%
Bad lyrics 1 1.92%
Separaation fro LB and MF 14 26.92%
Loss of her previous images 8 15.38%
Bad reviews 0 0%
Alizee's lack of experience (probably not true. I am sure no one is gonna vote for this either 0 0%
No international album 1 1.92%
Her overal looks 1 1.92%
Bad interviews 0 0%
....other 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

INDUSTRIAL is on a distinguished road
Default Why do you think Psychedelices became a watershed?

Watershed might be a too extreme word to use, yet her new album is a failure.
Some of you guys (especially Radio) might want to kill me for saying that her album is a failure. But let us face the fact. Its been a month since releasing and the album only sold about 33,000 copies (RMJ). Maybe, her album is just underdoing a cunctation. Maybe the failure is just my crotchet. This is really disappointing. It will probably gain silver recognition (50,000) but not gold (75,000). No one can be sure. With second album, she can bring a beautiful dance and pwn everybody wither her beauty and reach platinum.

Until now, her album was unsuccessful. So I just want to ask you why her album is not successful, and how it can be changed.
Some people might find my post mordant, but I think it is fair.

Okay here is my opinion.
First, her overall look. She is definitely looks changed from her flirt Lolita or JEAM image. And some of these changes might have bad effects. First, her hairstyle. I do not mind her coiffure; I actually like it. However, I it hated by many of her fans. Also, I think she should wear high heels, since she is small. Some of her stockings with colors make her look childish (my opinion, do not jump on me for this). I do not think her tatoo played an important since it is France where people are very open about those things.

Next, her marriage. I am not going into issue of Jeremy, but overall effects of marriage. First, since she is married, she cannot expose more of her skin and sing flirty songs. I do not think Anny Lee is a big problem since Jeremy is there to take care of her. However, because she is married, she cannot have lolita image and some of male fans turned away and gave her up. The producers were not as good as MF or LB. Also, the music video concentrates too much on other girls, while not featuring Alizee enough.

Also, her TV performances were bad. There were no dancing like in the music video and she did not move around much. Also her clothing should have been more kingky, underlinging her sexiness. Her performances with noobs were simply nightmare, though Moi Lolita one was not that bad.

As for interviews, I think it is the record label's fault. She is really hermitlike and avoids being a centre of attention (though DJK needs more attention ^^ DJK I love you). Mylene protected her from having a lot of interviews and most of the interviews were short. By having a lot of interviews, she lost her mysterious yet a normal person image formed by Mylene. Also, by turning away from Mylene, she lost some of Mylene's fans.

Her long absense. It was not very long, but the important thing is not much is known about what happened during the three years. So people started to think Alizee is gone and turned away from her (not us). Also, she needs to release an international album with English lyrics to invade N. America, where money can be found.

Also, she needs to dance. Alizee is a dancer. Dance got most of male fans to admire Alizee. But in MJ, except in music video, she did not dance. Dance is what made JEAM and JPVA successful. Further, she might not have enough experience to do everything by herself, though I believe in her.

In addition, the songs. The songs are generally good. I like them. However, it lacks a popular theme - love. Indeed, there are some love involved, yet, compared to her previous albums it lacks. Love is what pretty much everyone (except me) can relate to and is very easy to romanticize. Also, her first single choice was bad. MJ is definitely the best song of the new album. However, it is too far from mainstream pop. Also, her lyric or MJ was simply horrible; I believe except some girls, no once connect to it. I feel thirty other people waiting to kill me.

Please stop reading this if you are already angry at me
After this, I cannot assure that anyone can control his or her temper.

Her songs lack connection to her previous two albums and what defines Alizee. Well, people like me (who should be honourably committing suicide rather than whining like this) expected Lolita or Gourmandises and are disappointed with her new album. Also, it is just a mixtuer of bunch of other styles and lacks her previous music styles (though some songs like Idealiser and L'effet still retains them).

This is my little opinion. I guess most of you are angry at me. I did not write this to anger you are to be rude, just to analyze her album and get your opinions.

The important thing is future. She should quickly move on to her second album, either 50/60, PLB, Decollage, or Lilly Town, and return with better music video and dance. And she should do more international promotions and make international albums. Maybe appearing in movies can be good. More photoshoots (important).

Psyche sold only about 33,000. Yet the future is not gloomy. She did a great job and she can do better.

I really hope this thread is not popular, so peope do not get mad at me.

Last edited by INDUSTRIAL; 01-05-2008 at 12:04 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 AM

suzybananasplit is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...well, I can say that I definitely like Alizee's new style. Theres a difference between between 18 and sexy and being 23 and sexy. She is a woman now, she has a child. To me, she wears very sexy clothes in her performances. They're grown up. Alizee was also gone for a couple years between Gourmandises and Mes Courant Electriques. So why would that make a difference now?

In my opinion...she probably isn't getting a good response because of all of it. People in general don't like change. They liked her in skimpy clothes being a tease. But shes a grown woman now. I would say more, but its late and I can't think very well. I will edit later.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDUSTRIAL View Post
Maybe the failure is just my crotchet.
Yes, I think that's the reality.

We are past the age of high album sales. Also, it's too soon to judge success or failure yet. Remember, only one single has been released. You need to give it about six months and at least three single releases. I'm not "mad at you," but I think you're completely, totally wrong. And since you didn't have a "the album isn't a failure and I'm full of it" option, I can't vote in your poll.

Now, let me point out just a couple of specifics.

Quote:
First, since she is married, she cannot expose more of her skin and sing flirty songs.
This is nonsense. She IS exposing a lot of skin. She IS singing flirty songs. Really, there's only one thing she could do that's against the rules of their relationship (or at least I assume it is), and she wouldn't be doing that on stage anyway.

Don't assume that just because YOU'D have a problem with YOUR wife/girlfriend doing these things in a performance that Jérémy, who unlike you is in the business and understands how things work, is going to have the same attitude -- or that Alizée would put up with it for one second if he did.

Quote:
Her long absense.
Yes. This is the only thing you said that made any sense at all. That's why the momentum has to gather almost from scratch again, rather than being high from the start. But it's also why it's too soon to call the album a failure.

Quote:
Also, she needs to dance. Alizee is a dancer.
OK, I take it back; this also makes a little sense. I don't much like those couch performances of MJ. It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it works well. Hopefully we'll see more dancing on the other singles.

Quote:
Please stop reading this if you are already angry at me
As I said, I'm not angry with you. I just think you're wrong.

Quote:
Her songs lack connection to her previous two albums and what defines Alizee.
Of course they do. She's trying to redefine herself. Lack of connection to a previous definition is de rigeur.

Quote:
Well, people like me . . . expected Lolita or Gourmandises and are disappointed with her new album.
I can understand that, but quite honestly, it's your problem, not hers.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

I don't think you're right or wrong at this point, if that makes sense. It hasn't been a commercial success quite like Gourmandises or MCE were, but its very early in the game. We've only just hit a month, and a (horribly botched IMO) single release. People need to hear the songs, I think. With more performances, and another single released soon, I think the album has a good shot to sell moderately well.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Alizée Fanatic

ES3 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion her new album wasnt a failure. If it is sold out on Amazon it can't be doing too bad. You provide the statistics that she has only sold ~33k albums thus far, which is around 1000 albums a day. Psychedelices has a nice combination of different music styles, which I like. It includes some sad songs, rap, electro rock, pop, etc. She has gone through a lot of things while she took the 3 year break that could have influenced the album which could have "turned some off" to the musical variety that her new album brings. You also have to understand this is the way she wanted her new album as she stated in the FHM interview it portrays different styles from the different collaborators she collaborated with( Jean, Oxmo, Daniel, etc..) Being a huge fan i'm open to the variety of psychedelices. Decollage owns...

C'est Pas ma faute!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
idiot in love

HYBRIDMIDNIGHT is on a distinguished road

To be honest i dont thinnk it failed.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Her new album wasn't/isn't a failure, neither commercially nor artistically so this thread is pointless. I stopped reading after the first sentence, sorry.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 AM

JuanARG is on a distinguished road

To put this in perspective Psychédélices, a rapid comparison with his contemporary Jenifer Bartoli (Lunatique) and Lorie (2 Lor En Moi ? )
is necessary:

Charts in France and Sales numbers - Ifop :

Jenifer

04/11 - 10/11 1 32400 ex.
11/11 - 17/11 3 16110 ex.
18/11 - 24/11 7 10870 ex.
25/11 - 01/12 9 10478 ex.
02/12 - 08/12 12 12740 ex. Gold Disc +75000.
09/12 - 15/12 15 17449 ex.
16/12 - 22/12 11 27650 ex.
23/12 - 29/12 16 13928 ex.

Totally : 141.620 ex. 8 Weeks.

Lorie

25/11 - 01/12 7 12000 ex.
02/12 - 08/12 7 15400 ex.
09/12 - 15/12 16
16/12 - 22/12 23
23/12 - 29/12 30

Alizeé

02/12 - 08/12 16 11292 ex.
09/12 - 15/12 33 7701 ex.
16/12 - 22/12 52 7360 ex.
23/12 - 29/12 65 3649 ex.

Totally : 29.822 ex. 4 Weeks.

Merci ManulinA!!!!! from the AFC.
Alizée, une passion, un sentiment !!!!!!!!.

Last edited by JuanARG; 01-05-2008 at 12:53 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
485 Internet points!

Solaris is on a distinguished road

It failed? Under whose standards? I was under the impression that it made me happy, therefore it did not fail. Is that not what artists do? Bring happiness to their fans?

[9:59] [Solaris] here comes marik!
[Alizée Bar and Grill]: marik has entered at 9:59
[9:59] [Bill Seals] OH shite
[9:59] [Solaris] I TOLD YOU
[9:59] [Chommpers] mind powers
Old 01-05-2008, 01:29 AM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Unhappy It's Not Possible For Me To Vote With These Options

The only flaw in your poll I see is that there's no option for "I think it's a hit." No offense dude, I just don't go by CD sales to determine if I buy. Psych has been in my car stereo since 4 Dec.

Also, Alizee bit off more than what most young artists can do. She's gotten closer to practically doing everything herself to make this album, whereas, MF and LB programmed Lili at the age of 15.

Polls aren't easy to make if your POV is limited with options. I agree she's still young, inexperienced, and not releasing in USA. Deepwaters said it best, only one single has been released. For those of us that discovered her via internet, I think sales are decent with the above mentioned variables.

Alizee: Wowww!