Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-18-2020, 08:53 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
Why do english native speakers find ''I'm foamely ecstatic'' so fun?
"foamely ecstatic" doesn't irritate me or annoy me. It just sounds uninspiring-- "meh".

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 04-19-2020 at 04:32 AM..
Old 04-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Even in your phrases the adverbs make me genuinely smile.
But I think you are right: it's the combination of the words that is weird.

I guess I don't find it, as you said, irksome because I'm not used to the normality of the language. So, to me they are just invented words that sound nice (I mean, considering the very sound of the words) .
I guess I should rephrase what I said. It sounds irksome when we sit down and talk about it the lyrics. However listening to the song, it's easier to gloss over it and enjoy the melody and the vocals instead. That's usually what happens when one doesn't speak French but listens to Alizée anyway
Old 04-19-2020, 02:12 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

With "foamely ecstatic", I'm tempted to say it's corny, but I don't quite think it fits that definition but it invokes that type of reaction that a corny joke would bring.

It's kind of like if your boss tells you at 2 pm to get to work and you say you're 'two' tired to work or if you're watching a foot race and you start throwing eggs at someone going by. Somebody aks you what you are doing and you say "I'm trying to egg him on!". Those are the type of comments that if you were listening to them, would make you want to do a face palm and I think people would have the same reaction when hearing "foamely ecstatic".

All the great lyrics that come out of MF and for I'm fed up "foamely ecstatic" is the best she can do when she's apparently trying to get into the English speaking markets?

Other lines from her English songs that leave you wondering what is being said or just make you cringe at the way they are said?

"I’m fed up with creeps crying"
"Bathing caps and all critics"
"Give me two", Give me two what?
"Fried days of something that I lost"?
"Talking to the bees", ??????????
"If you're okey dokey"
"A light little stone"

There were so many lines in those 3 songs that you could maybe explain one by one, but when you're trying to win over an English speaking audience, they are going to start looking at each other and asking what the heck is she talking about?

Youpidou is one of my favorites if not my top favorite song of hers because I love the way she pronounces many of the English words and I love the music, but I hesitate to play it to people I know because I'm afraid they'll ask what the story is about where as with the French version, it's easily explainable.
I'm fed up, more or less the same thing, having lines that make you wonder who wrote this song?

I often sing the praises of Mylene Farmer and LB. I'm sure she uses sex to sell, but to achieve what she has achieved shows a tremendous amount of talent. As well as she puts together so many French songs using many double entendres, she can't put together an Englsih song with just an easy to understand story to it? Is it because her English is so poor, or maybe she quickly added these English lyrics to capitalize on the success of the French songs without giving them much thought?

I honestly feel a 14 year old girl could have done a better job with this.
But then we have Amelie and MF did such a good job with that. Why so? Maybe because of Youpidou, I'm fed up and I'm not twenty were MF songs and she could change them around any way she wanted, but Amelie was about a character in a movie and she needed to be true to the character?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:46 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

There is something I have always wondered about this episode.

This video is from the second week: Alizée decided to talk about her divorce. We know this part of the show was supposed to be indiscreet, but Alizée accepted to open the door of her fragility, so it's all good.

Now, what looks weird to me is that hug... I mean, is it sincere?
I'm sure Alizée used that opportunity to vent and Grégoire was the first that didn't want to see Alizée in tears. So, from this point of view, I think it was sincere and they both "needed" that hug for different reasons.
But how long had they know each other back then? For just 2 weeks?
So my doubts are: were they already so close to each other? Or was that hug forced by whoever managed the show?

As I said, I tend to think that it was real, but it seems weird to me if I think that they had known each other for only two weeks.
I know this may be a discussion about nothing, we don't read their minds, but I would like to know what you see behind that hug.

Edit:

(You will find the translation in the first comment of the video)

Last edited by Aragorn97; 04-21-2020 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-21-2020, 09:18 PM

I had all the shows of DALS translated, that is the parts wth Alizee in them of course. Here is the link to the video in my drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cPp...ew?usp=sharing

Seeing how it's a tv show and with the ratings it got in the previous three years a significant show at that I'd say, you would think they would have the participants, at least the "Stars" show up I'd say for a full week in advance to discuss the accomodations there, the make up artists, what was expected of them, etc. Whether or not she met Gregoire then is a good question.

On one hand, they might want them to meet earlier to make sure there were no personality conflicts, but then again, you'd want the freshness of when they did meet for the first time, so it's tough to say.

What happened at the moment you talked about bothered me at the time. To me it almost looked like Gregoire was trying to kiss her at a very vulnerable moment. In the end, it all worked out for the best so I tried not to dwell on it.

Was what happened scripted? I'd say not on her part but the show might have known she'd get emotional talking about the past and suggested how Greg should react. I'm sure they know well what would be good for ratings but who knows?

A moment like this certainly wasn't scripted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3t...ew?usp=sharing

Another good moment;

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 04-21-2020 at 10:10 PM..
Old 04-22-2020, 01:02 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now, what looks weird to me is that hug... I mean, is it sincere?

These "reality TV" shows are half-scripted. I'm 100% certain that the producers instructed Alizee and Greg to do this "Alizee-opens-up-about-her-divorce" scene. (I.e. the scene did not just happen spontaneously in front of the camera.)

Whether Alizee and Greg were specifically instructed to include a hug as part of the scene--- maybe, maybe not.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:07 AM

Well I'm fairly certain that Alizee knew they would go deeply into her private life. It was rumored that they had wanted her to be in the show in one of the prior years, but she turned them down because she's a private person and didn't want to reveal much about her life, but at this point, 2013, she very much needed something to put her back in the public's eye and so chose to be a part of the show.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post

Whether Alizee and Greg were specifically instructed to include a hug as part of the scene--- maybe, maybe not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

Was what happened scripted? I'd say not on her part but the show might have known she'd get emotional talking about the past and suggested how Greg should react. I'm sure they know well what would be good for ratings but who knows?
I wonder if she accepted that hug because it was fine for her or because she didn't want to seem rude before the cameras...
Or maybe, just the fact that she wanted to be in that show meant that she was ready to trust someone else again. And we know that Grégoire tried always to be careful and respectful. She might have noticed that.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 04-22-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Old 04-22-2020, 12:49 PM

I think at this early stage of the shows, she was uncomfortable with it, but looked upon it as a bit of acting and put up with it for the sake of the show.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Anyone know when this website was founded?

Tags
chronology, dates, events, misc., questions, timeline