Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
2bz

Dark Engine is on a distinguished road

Took her long enough. Seems like she picked up a few things from MF, disappearing for a few years then releasing new material. I dig the English as a French accent on a women drives me crazy, but the beat is a little odd. Guess we'll have to wait and see more.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Cool oh yah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Engine View Post
Took her long enough. Seems like she picked up a few things from MF, disappearing for a few years then releasing new material. I dig the English as a French accent on a women drives me crazy, but the beat is a little odd. Guess we'll have to wait and see more.
it is odd but so oldly-modern, and that's what she was shooting for. And I think it worked in this case. She had the nice electronic sound. O and I figured out that drowning yourself in it with headphones makes you love it so much more haha
Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
They are saying that "Les Collines (Never Leave You)" will be the first single to be available on Alizée's official YouTube page on Feb. 17.
Single on February 17 would be a fantastic present for my birthday. Exactly this day I'm turning 19

Btw. Les Collines means The Hills

What to Limelight, It's very electronic, but overall I like it! Though, I'd prefer the album to be more "voice showing", that we can hear, that what we love so much, Her Grace's lovely voice.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM
2bz

Dark Engine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroniu31 View Post
O and I figured out that drowning yourself in it with headphones makes you love it so much more haha
Wouldn't surprise me, I thought Décollage on the last album was really odd but it grew and me and became one of my fav's.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I somewhat agree with Bandit...

yea, not the song to hint towards the rest of the album...

but, after you listen to it a lot it kinda grows on you. iTunes counter is up to 103 times.

---------

P.S. Is it "scarce" or "scares"
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Ronald is on a distinguished road

Listening to "Limelight" on repeat modus.....

What can I say?

It sounds like an 80's track

But why does she use a vocoder? I can't recognise her at all, it could be anyone singing
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like Alizée to me, but yes, a bit different. The effect is somewhat similar (but definitely not the same) to what she did in parts of "Par Les Paupières". Software and hardware are available that will double your voice an octave higher. (It's different than a vocoder.) Another option is to sing the part twice, the second part being sung an octave higher. My guess is they used one of the "artificial methods" because it matches so well and there is a slight portamento effect. It sounds like some other processing is being done too.

I've always felt that Alizée sounds a bit different when she is singing in English and also trying to reduce the effect of her French accent. Add this with the "octave" effect and I can see why some people feel it doesn't sound like her.

While I like the idea of using such effects at times on the voice to provide a different mood or color to the palette, I certainly hope she doesn't do it on every song. I still want to hear the "organic" Alizée voice as well. But for this song, I think it works.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Not my style. I've always liked Pop. I have an ear for the individually simple (but collectively intricate) style of Laurent, the rhyme and rhythm of Mylene, and the pop voice of Alizée. The power of the first triad becomes more obvious with each album Alizée releases.

That said, Psychedelices had some nice songs, albeit I did miss some of the composition dimensionality of Laurent.

The Limelight trailer seems shallow (one dimensional) both in voice and in composition. I understand that may be the intent of the song, and it is packaged in a larger album. If it is a contrasting mood song in a larger album, then it might have a place. Even then, I can't see playing it for own sake. Stand alone, it does nothing for me.

I'm happy that some here like it. That's important for Alizée's success. And I do want her to succeed.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
HAI GAIZ! I"M BACK!

I *love* the new song... Which is really weird, as I can't listen to this kind of music from anyone else...

I kinda expected this kind of turn for her, seeing as who she was working with, and totally expected to not like it...

Wifey just told me "order it and quit mooning around the house..."

my wifey too!

I heard the song on Mouloud's site first, as that is what the page linked me to... Sometimes its ok to be late!
Hi Ed. Good to hear from you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazkimies View Post
wow, it's so different but i like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballpdh19 View Post
exactly... its different than what everyone is used to.. a change.. so everyone says they dont like it because it is different... give it awhile... my first reaction was that i hated it but i listened to it a couple more times and it grew on me very quickly.

wow... pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one
Yes. It does grow on you. When I heard the partial, I was lukewarm. However, now that I have heard the entire song, I am MUCH more positive.

I am still not a fan of minimalist electronica, however it works well with what she is trying to portray so I like the song. In fact the more I hear it the more I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
It sounds like Alizée to me, but yes, a bit different. The effect is somewhat similar (but definitely not the same) to what she did in parts of "Par Les Paupières". Software and hardware are available that will double your voice an octave higher. (It's different than a vocoder.) Another option is to sing the part twice, the second part being sung an octave higher. My guess is they used one of the "artificial methods" because it matches so well and there is a slight portamento effect. It sounds like some other processing is being done too.

I've always felt that Alizée sounds a bit different when she is singing in English and also trying to reduce the effect of her French accent. Add this with the "octave" effect and I can see why some people feel it doesn't sound like her.

While I like the idea of using such effects at times on the voice to provide a different mood or color to the palette, I certainly hope she doesn't do it on every song. I still want to hear the "organic" Alizée voice as well. But for this song, I think it works.
Me too.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Logical Progression

Tomtentp is on a distinguished road

Hello guys, guess I'm late for the party.
Whoa, 14 pages of posts in like 2 days, took me like 1 hour to read through it all

Meanwhile I got the time to listen to the song a couple of times and yes, it really grows. The teaser is worthless in portraying the song itself as the full song really builds up towards the end. I would had liked a bit more texture thou, at the very end with the 8 words of wisdome the song is getting really intense, but sadly it also ends right there :C

I'm not quite sure what ya'll going on about with the "vocoder" and flat voice thingy. All I can hear is the multiple voices at different pitchings just as Lefty mentions. It's a pretty neat effect that in my ears adds dimension to the voice rather than removing it. For the song itself I can aggree it get's monotonous.

Yeah a duet like Moby vs. Mylene would be awesome, love that song and it really works having both french and english lyrics in the same song. Dunno why you post a vid that is restricted from Swedish computers Topaz, that's just wrong man

Note how they use the effect on Mylenes voice in this, not whole octaves thou which makes difference.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/auPMNYbMv_c&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/auPMNYbMv_c&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

... I see avatar people...

L´Ordre D'Alizée!

Last edited by Tomtentp; 02-13-2010 at 10:32 PM..