Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I wonder, is there any way of preventing a new member from creating new topics until they have posted at least 10 times (or 30 times)? It might reduce the number of bogus threads that end up being displayed on the home page.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

It sounds like a good idea to me Rev, I'll pass it along to the other mods.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

I like that idea Rev!~

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I wonder, is there any way of preventing a new member from creating new topics until they have posted at least 10 times (or 30 times)? It might reduce the number of bogus threads that end up being displayed on the home page.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I made some changes on the very same day when you posted this suggestion.

I was wondering what's better. Not allowing new users to post threads or not allowing new users to post at all. Deleting all spams is itself a time wasting process and considering that this site doesn't get flooded with genuine users, I guess it's better if we don't allow new users to post anything before getting filtered by moderators. That's what I did.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM

mzracing76 is on a distinguished road
Default New Features

Know what this forum needs? A "Like Button" so we can like each others thread, lol.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I AM BOXXY, YOU-YOU-YOU-YOU SEE?

DopeBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzracing76 View Post
Know what this forum needs? A "Like Button" so we can like each others thread, lol.
I don't want to come off as a jerk but I completely oppose that idea... There's little point as post count and views serve a similar point, though maybe not in all cases. Threads with hundreds of pages are popular or well 'Liked'. I dislike Facebook and Twitter and all this other 'social networking' BS, pun intended.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzracing76 View Post
We have something similar, the 1–5 Stars thing. There's also the reputation button (in the top right corner of each post). But nobody seems to use it.

+rep this post, you know you want to
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I was on a board with a like and dislike buttons on posts. You do not want to go there, it can really get ugly between members. One member rubs another member the wrong way and it becomes a competition on how many dislikes can be piled on another members reputation. The owner finally disabled it and that really upset the "get him" side of the board. It must have taken at least a year for a certain segment of the board to finally get over the inability to trash other members anonymously.

You did notice I said WAS on a board.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

what ALS said!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
I was on a board with a like and dislike buttons on posts. You do not want to go there, it can really get ugly between members. One member rubs another member the wrong way and it becomes a competition on how many dislikes can be piled on another members reputation. The owner finally disabled it and that really upset the "get him" side of the board. It must have taken at least a year for a certain segment of the board to finally get over the inability to trash other members anonymously.

You did notice I said WAS on a board.
I was on a forum that didn't even bother keeping the likes/dislikes anonymous.

I was originally on a good board but it got bought out and we had to merge with a bigger forum that had the bully tactic rules already in place so the royalty (mostly mod's and their friends) wouldn't lose their status. And of course none of the mods from my board had their power transferred.

It didn't matter what anybody said because the instant you disagreed at all with the royalty the dislikes would pile up by the dozens. And if anybody liked what you said they would automatically become the enemy like you. It was almost a small crime to not like/dislike the same comments the king dogs voted on.

Tags
forum, suggestion box