Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Trick of the Tail

Shintsu is on a distinguished road
Default A true fan no more...(Long post)

Not that I'm anyone that anyone else here would even notice if I weren't here, but I must confess this to someone. To my own displeasure as well - I don't think I'm a fan of Alizee anymore. I loved the idea of Alizee as she was a couple years ago, that cute innocent young girl. The music that led me to discover Alizee was Gourmandises and Mes Courants Electriques, and this was the Alizee that I liked. The music that I enjoyed, that I listened to (And still do) so much. Was this angelic voice that of a real human being?

With Psychedelices, so much changed - she wasn't that innocent girl anymore and the music changed. Allow me to be rather straight and brash in this post as I don't care to beat around the subject - I didn't much care for Psychedelices. There were a few songs that I liked, but stuff like Decollage said too much about how she was changing. I clung to the fibers of hope that things would get better though (overall). But to me they didn't.

I loved the look Alizee has had for so long, but now with this new look - she looks kind of like Cher in ways. And I honestly hate the look, she's so naturally beautiful - all the makeup and the way she does her hair now. Please forgive this horrible comparison (because the hair is the ONLY comparison) but she looks like a dark haired version of Lady Gaga now (Sorry, I really hate Lady Gaga and she really has no right to be compared to the likes of Alizee). She got that tattoo (which I find an abomination on women in general, but especially the likes of Alizee). She's changed her look, it's not the cute stuff any more. She's trying to do more of a sexy kind of look, but again images of Cher conjure in my head and I never liked that look (Also the Cleopatra look if you rather). If this makes sense, I found Alizee sexy when she was just being naturally herself which was cute but now that she's trying to do the sexy look it's just not that appealing to me. I really feel broken now, Alizee was the angel of my dreams the one I could always say "Who needs anyone else when Alizee exists?" but now...I have no one to fill that place. The Alizee that mesmerized me I think is gone, and while you all I suppose have all transitioned to stay with her changes I just don't think I can.

Again I'm probably sharing more details than anyone here even cares about me (I mean I'm pretty much a nobody around here) but the whole way I discovered Alizee was a rather funny one. Everyone knows what World of Warcraft is, well I stumbled somehow upon videos on YouTube of people doing dance compilations using MMORPGs. One of them said where the real life dances that were in WoW came from. Low and behold, the female Night Elf dance was this amazing woman I had seen (but knew not the name of). I tracked down her name and the first full video I saw was a live performance of J'en Ai Marre. After I came down from my dazed and mesmerized state, I looked up more videos. Low and behold, I find that she went to a young girl's birthday party JUST for her...wow. Then another clip, she's with a fan of hers in I think a shoe store and she's so friendly - not even like a famous person at all! They cut back and I will never forget Alizee was crying on stage recalling the video clips of where she had done those things...so not only is she drop dead gorgeous, she has a beautiful voice and she is a great person!

For days I just kept watching videos of her live performances and showed other people at my school at the time. I actually have a large framed poster of her in my room as well. I made my best efforts to track down fan gear so I could let it be known to my classmates, but I never found any. Anything to let other people know I had found an angel. It was during this time (I think) that I discovered this forum and registered.

I used to watch every video someone would post, every song, every translation, anything related to her I wanted to see. I was even friends with a few people here on Xbox Live. But as time passed, they stopped talking to me, no more invites, then I saw they removed me (This isn't really new to me though). I became less and less interested in every little video someone would release on here. As it is now...I really don't have much interest in any videos of anything. I don't even care to watch her music videos. The news updates and stuff, all never really catch my attention. If it weren't for an email notice I had received about those signed CDs I don't know when I would have logged back on here (Nothing like thinking you realistically have a chance at something that would make you so happy only to have it stomped on by for other reasons which you had no control over, but my luck has always been bad at everything so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised).

I mean I see that so many of you on here are obsessed with Alizee (some actually quite a bit unhealthily I dare say, but I won't deny that I was unhealthily obsessed with her when I first found out about her). I mean every picture of her, someone will pour their heart out about her. Any time someone mentions anything about her people all swoop and start "fanboying" (Not really the appropriate term I guess, but you probably know what I'm getting at - just think about for example Sony fanboys on a PS3 forum raving about every update and announcement and proclaiming their utter devotion to and love for Sony). I used to be all behind that, but I find anymore if I look into myself I'm not really excited about it. I hate it, but if I have to convince myself to be excited it's just faux and there's no point in doing it.

Despite all this, I don't think it's to say that I don't like Alizee at all anymore - she is still the same person that mesmerized me a couple years ago, I just feel she is doing a lot of experimenting with her sound and look. I still think she is a great person, but I think I'm more in love with the idea of Alizee than her herself. A group which I have been a fan of for far longer and with much more certainty is Genesis, and comparatively I find great interest in hearing any news about them (But to be fair I just don't think I'm the kind of person who really cares about every little thing someone famous does unless it's autographs, special editions of stuff, tours, or other big stuff). I just think it means I'm not a true fan of Alizee anymore. I didn't actually buy Psychedelices (did listen to them all online though), but I don't plan to buy the album of it now like I originally did and I was only interested in the newest album if it had an autograph on it - I have no intention to buy one now though.

Perhaps you all can persevere and keep hopes she'll come to America, but I have my personal doubts. She's been to Mexico where her music apparently sells well (I didn't know this until I looked it up) but not even to a big US city like LA or NYC. I know if ever she did tour here she'd maybe go to the huge cities like NYC and LA, not sure where in the middle of the US she'd go but I live in Kentucky and all possible destinations are unreasonably far for someone in college like myself (Would require expensive plane tickets + hotel stay OR lots of gas to drive there + hotel stay + lots of time). Genesis came on tour (Turn it on again tour) and I was able to drive to Columbus, OH for that one - about three hour drive. Given the changes in Alizee's music and look, I can't personally justify the great expense of going that far to see her concerts if she ever even had them. Maybe you all think she cares about you, but in my head I don't think so. She's a nice person and would never say she doesn't care about any of her fans no matter where they are but some things just aren't feasible and I think a US concert is one of them. Again, maybe I'm wrong and some of you all will be able to go and enjoy it - I just don't think it will happen and if it did I honestly have to say I wouldn't go unless it were in a bordering state. If it were the Alizee I was originally infatuated with and that music - yes I would, I would find a way and a how.

On a somewhat more creepy note there do seem to be quite a bit of considerably older fans of her. It kind of seems like a 50 year old guy being crazy nuts fanboy over Hannah Montana or Justin Bleiber - it just creeps you out. I'm not going to say I think it's impossible for someone older to be a fan of someone younger, but again it does border being a little creepy. I imagine Alizee's biggest fan base is the 13-19 and 20-30 demographic, but to see people outside that demographic be infatuated fans creeps me out - no offense.

The Alizee which is immortalized in my mind as the image of perfection will always look (in my own head) something like these:

Her face combined with the way she had her hair (stunning body doesn't hurt either) just dumbfounded me - there is no better looking person than her in these photos. These pictures are at least I think pretty recent - and allow me to say the pictures of her at the autographing made me think Cher, but these pictures - does anyone watch MadTV? If you don't, look up on YouTube "Mrs. Swan". NO she still has a beautiful face, but the hair makes her look like that little lady and I never thought that lady looked good.

The makeup hurts her beauty so bad - it's like putting a big ricer wing on a Murcielago or something, the car looked great as it naturally was don't put stuff on it!

I'll end my long winded post (I find discussing this subject can't be taken lightly) by saying I still am a fan of Alizee - but not a "true" fan who wants to know all about her every moves and stuff. For me the image of Alizee was this cute young girl with a beautiful voice and fantastic body who was compassionate and kind bringing smiles to everyone she was around who was totally innocent. To me, the tattoo, now she's married, she has a kid, the makeup - it's stomping all over my personal image of Alizee, she's not that innocent young girl I was in love with in high school anymore. I would rather stop following Alizee as a true fan now and retain the high image I have of her in my head than to have it lowered and then not hold her in as high of a place as she should be.

This isn't a farewell post per say, I still will check back every few months but after reviewing several threads I don't think there's much here I could discuss with others here. This being an Alizee forum, I don't expect there to be either. I wish you all well, please take no offense at anything I've said in this post - I just needed to vent these bottled up feelings somewhere that people would at least comprehend them (perhaps not understand though). Again I'm no body so anyone who reads this has my thanks for listening (reading). It was a euphoric experience to me and I have to say having known Alizee as she was certainly has had a large impact on my life. I don't know if anything will ever top my initial discovery of her and her music (Close to the same date I went to the Genesis concert, which I've been a fan of since 5 years old - I actually was wishing at the time I was going to one of her concerts).

Au revoir forum, vous voyez autour (Forgive if I screwed this last part up, German I can speak somewhat - French, next to nothing)

Shintsu
Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
:)

Jeff is on a distinguished road

Yup, I'm the same way.

I don't care much at all for the new Alizee. She's destroyed her body with stupid tattoos and she doesn't perform like she use to.

I'm only a fan of her when she was 16-18.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck in your endeavors to come.

Regards,

Jung

P.S. Just cause you are a more quiet fella with less posts than some others, that does not make you a nobody.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
n

Karlalizee is on a distinguished road

i agree with you shintsu. i liked her better during her first two albums. i was introduced to her music by a female student while i was attending college near st. louis a year ago. i loved the first two albums and three of the songs on the third album. i am not convienced yet if i want to buy the newest one.

i do not care for her new look either. the hair, too much make up and those tattoos (barf), but it is none of my business. she is going on her own and i say good luck to her. i think you are disappointed because she is getting older. i saw her pictures at the signing session and thought to myself how much she has changed since moi...lolita. ten years do take thier toll. lol

everyone changes shintsu. tastes in food, art, music, movies changes throughout your years. you said you were creeped out that older men in this forum love her. could it be that they enjoy her music without sexual undertones? just because you wanted to jump her bones when she was 16 does not mean everyone in here feels the same.

i can understand your feelings. i feel less and less of an alizee fan and more and more of a fan of the people on this website. sometimes it creeps me out a little that i am one of the few girls in this site while the majority of her fans in europe are girls. i am not sure how long i will last on here. the girl who introduced me to this site has long gone, and i have thought many times of leaving myself. guess we will just have to wait and see.

much love and good luck shintsu,

karla
Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM

RadioactiveMan is on a distinguished road

Alizée's music is not the same as it was years ago, so it's reasonable for many people to lose interest, but it is important to note some things.

She started her career by being chosen to sing a song by Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat. For the next two albums she performed the music they wrote, wearing recycled costumes from Mylene Farmer's own career. This isn't a bad thing; all three involved are wonderfully talented.

After, she gets married, has a child, commissions a large tattoo, and releases two more albums that were created in a much different manner. This time she wasn't the performer, she was in the driver's seat. Everything that has happened in that time we know was [based on] her choice, and as such offers us a window into her personality.

If we agree that she still sings beautifully, then the difference between then and now is that her efforts are much more organic and personal. That is an exciting thing for an admirer of Alizée.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Oh, man! This thread is depressing! Of corse you don't like the new stuff. I spent today flipping through age old threads. A year ago, there were a different group of people here. Same thing the year before that. So on. Saw this happening to people. I knew it would. In another three years or so there'll be more fans leaving again. It's inevitable. But more will come. That too is inevitable. I like the new stuff. I can see myself staying quite a while. True, MCÉ is the best of Alizée, but that isn't to say UEdS isn't good at all. Well, to me. She is still beautiful. And she still has the best voice to ever grace my ears. I guess I just like her differently than you. I find myself believing more active current members will not stay around. They won't. Even ben recently sad he will not be with this site forever. But I feel that, for me, Alizée is finally that one singer that I shall always love. I am lucky to have found her. so lucky! But you are just moving from a temporary love of her. That has happened many times. And will keep happening. It's perfectally normal, please don't excuse yourself for it. We understand. I haven't been around as long as ben, brad, or other mods, but they surely have seen a million fans just like you. You do love Alizée, just not UEdS Alizée. I admit that Gourmandises Alizée was cuter, but that's how nearly everyone sees it. MCÉ Alizée was the most attractive. Psychédélices Alizée was hottest. This new UEdS s most mysterious and intriguing. Just read the everything changes thread. No, she's not 'Lolita' anymore, but do you really think she could or even wants to? After all, if she was still making the same music for ten years, she would be as forgettable as Brittney Spears, or in your words, Lady god-forsaken Gaga. Be true to yourself, don't pretend you like her if you don't, but keep your favorite Alizée closest to your heart. If this is what you need to do to continue liking Alizée at all, then do it. Leave, and remember her as the Lolita/goldfish that stole you heart.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Shintsu, it seems odd you would pick what is probably the most exciting and uplifting moment in this forum's history to "rain on the parade" so to speak. Maybe you aren't as unlucky as you think, and it's more of a matter of your own choice of timing in life. But I believe the feelings you expressed are honest and sincere.

Regardless, I understand completely what you're saying and I know there's nothing anyone can say or do to change how you really feel. You have to do what you have to do. Like Karla said, tastes change, things change. And lines that once converged or crossed can end up going separate ways. It's no fault of yours, or Alizée's for that matter. I'm well aware that someday I could be in your shoes. But for now I'm enjoying Alizée and her music. Trust me, this won't be the last time in your life this happens. It's completely normal and happens more often than we'd like sometimes.

Good luck to you, Shintsu.

@Karla, It would be sad to see you leave here. A lot of this really is about the people.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Just know sir Shintsu you are not alone.
I, and many included, understand perfectly, point to every point.

This forum, is like a school, a classroom, a university of sorts.
You come, and you learn, you absorb, and you will never stay forever. You leave with the partial gains of the institution, positive or negative, and fly Into the New World.

She was your cradle, and was the cradle for many of us...
...and for many of us that cradle can no longer fit.

Best regards, and should you decide to appear yet again, it doesn't hurt to say an active hello to some of us in the Chatbox.
Your opinion matters not only a good amount, but it matters at a high priority.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM

sumi1 is on a distinguished road

I think there are a lot of people who think like Shintsu. They all adored the teen "image" of Alizee. So as she matured, they lost interest as she was not the same girl they used to love. Even I was forst introduced to Alizee of MCE era. But slowly, as I came to know about her, I became a fan of Alizee the person. As discussed in other thread by Deepwaters, she may not be the best singer out there, she may not be the most beautiful woman out there, but certainly, she is among the most wonderful human beings I have seen in my life. So, I am cool with her choices. Atleast she does what she wants to do. I like this a lot
Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Brent is on a distinguished road

it happened to me. i wish her no harm and if good things come they do.

but i went from true fan on/off the music scene to a straight music fan. i do not know her in real life obviously, so ill leave it at that.