Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 AM

Seapaddler is on a distinguished road

I've read someone's experience of moving to France due to their job and after a month of constant exposure he could communicate satisfactorily and this person was very motivated to learn. Written and spoken is quite different, spoken words can be left out for brevity but never left out of the same when written. I think without immersion or having friends who speak it fluently would take us a very long time if ever.

I'm tending to follow aFrenchie by mastering reading and writing before I ever tackle spoken.

Last edited by Seapaddler; 01-05-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 AM

newalizeefan is on a distinguished road

hopefully my alizee obsession will make it easier for me to be committed to learning french.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie
Btw if you want to hear an American you're used to hear speaking English but who speaks an EXCELLENT French, with no accent at all, very fast, very at ease with slang or anything familiar, then here's Jodie Foster in France:

It is possible people!! aFrenchie has seen it for himself; Jodie Foster speaks French like a native - you can also speak French that well - it's just a matter of hard work.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm a listener ... reader

BlancZulu is on a distinguished road
Post One way to learn French

I have seen a few "language learning programs" in my live an the problem with most is that they teach you phrases. Thats fine for people only visiting a country, but when you want to become fluent in a language(ANY language) you have to know how to build your own sentences to use in expressing yourself.

I think the easiest way to learn a language and become fluent in it is to start at the basis of all languages - LETTERS - You can learn the way in which letters are pronounced in a language in one or two days! Next up Words! And word order at that. Learning the basic rules is all you need to do.

The next thing in line is to build your vocabulary! NO you don't have to know a whole dictionary by heart - there are words in the English language (AND MY OWN TONGUE) I have never used and will never because they just ain't needed!

Once you have the vocab and you know how to stick'em all together to create a beautifull sentence you'll be pretty fluent - if you practise enough!

Thats the way I'm doing it! And it is working pretty damn nicely
But afer all - everyone has their own way of learning any subject. I am just used to absorbing alot of info at a time.

To perfect everything you've learned just read French - novels or newspapers - anything will do! This also helps to enlarge your vocab!

There it is everything I've learned on learning languages
(Please feel free to comment on it)
Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garçoncanadien View Post
Jodie Foster speaks French like a native - you can also speak French that well - it's just a matter of hard work.
Keep in mind that she was in a French high school though. So easier for her, but still possible of course, with lots of immersion.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancZulu View Post
I have seen a few "language learning programs" in my live an the problem with most is that they teach you phrases. Thats fine for people only visiting a country, but when you want to become fluent in a language(ANY language) you have to know how to build your own sentences to use in expressing yourself.

I think the easiest way to learn a language and become fluent in it is to start at the basis of all languages - LETTERS - You can learn the way in which letters are pronounced in a language in one or two days! Next up Words! And word order at that. Learning the basic rules is all you need to do.

The next thing in line is to build your vocabulary! NO you don't have to know a whole dictionary by heart - there are words in the English language (AND MY OWN TONGUE) I have never used and will never because they just ain't needed!

Once you have the vocab and you know how to stick'em all together to create a beautifull sentence you'll be pretty fluent - if you practise enough!

Thats the way I'm doing it! And it is working pretty damn nicely
But afer all - everyone has their own way of learning any subject. I am just used to absorbing alot of info at a time.

To perfect everything you've learned just read French - novels or newspapers - anything will do! This also helps to enlarge your vocab!

There it is everything I've learned on learning languages
(Please feel free to comment on it)
Where's the grammar (other than word order)
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm a listener ... reader

BlancZulu is on a distinguished road
Default Oops

By word order I mean not only the order of the word but also the changes they under go when placed in certain contexts.
Sorry.
My original post was unclear and lacts details
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road

The french class i'm taking in college has a class forum board and i asked a question..."Has anyone heard of this singer before?" I just posted a picture of Alizee singing Moi Lolita...and posted a link to this website. (I hope u don't mind, brad Being a french class, i was curious to see if she was known in my area, Souther California..

I got 22 responses w/in 2hrs of posting it...ranging from "HELL YA, i know who Alizee is"...to "No, but wow she's hot"...to "Um, she's speaking french, huh?"...to "HAHA..elf dance".

I wonder if seeing Alizee sing and being exposed to her world, if it would spark an interest in Alizee in my area. It remains to be seen, but the responses have been positive so far. I hope my instructor doesn't get mad at me for posting that thread ..You guyz should think of ways of giving Alizee exposure in your respective locales.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You guyz should think of ways of giving Alizee exposure in your respective locales.
My favorite examples are guldebrett's work at La Creme Brulee (local French restaurant) and Cooney's liscence plates. I really want to follow suit with my own plates but I might really be counting pennies for a trip to Europe this summer.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
My favorite examples are guldebrett's work at La Creme Brulee (local French restaurant) and Cooney's liscence plates. I really want to follow suit with my own plates but I might really be counting pennies for a trip to Europe this summer.

Holy Moly!..that is an Awesome License Plate!! What exactly did guldebrett do at that restaurant?..i did a search, but came up empty