Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuisRusse View Post
You know French!?

How long did it take you? To be able to read it?

Well, there's no reason to be mad, you should be happy for him. And, keep in mind, he has a bit of a leg up on you or me, being a native speaker of a Romance language. I'm sure if your new favorite popstar was, say, Bulgarian, you wouldn't need all that long to be able to start reading articles.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

DirtyACE is on a distinguished road

Welcome all new members! Hope you find this forum and its members as enjoyable and pleasant I have when they welcomed me. You wont regret joining as this is a one of a kind place, with people from all walks of life.

Abstract Being: your English is excellent, don't worry about it
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 PM

jesuisRusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
Well, there's no reason to be mad, you should be happy for him. And, keep in mind, he has a bit of a leg up on you or me, being a native speaker of a Romance language. I'm sure if your new favorite popstar was, say, Bulgarian, you wouldn't need all that long to be able to start reading articles.
I'm not mad, I put the ":-) ". But I am trying to learn French.
>>I'm sure if your new favorite popstar was, say, Bulgarian, you wouldn't need all that long to be able to start reading articles.
Haha, I know. It totally works! But most of the time I end up using translators ;-)))
Old 11-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Abstract Being is on a distinguished road

I took me about two weeks. I can read: I don't have to look every word in the dictionary. I use wordreference (I can't post urls yet lol) but full vocabulary will take me long time.
Anyway, already knowing English and Spanish, most words are similar to either one or the other, that is, nouns mostly. Verbs have 3 forms like in Spanish according to their termination (-er -ir -re). Then I visited some sites, where I found out some constructions, like the negative with "pas", that are unfamiliar to me.
I cannot understand spoken French yet, but I'm a bit relaxed as I have some basis now (I'm not desperate any more).

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it a lot, it makes me feel comfortable
Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Let's go to France :-)

alswamprat is on a distinguished road

As you can see I am new to the forum. This website is terrific! I followed advice I read on here about letting Amazon know I wanted the new CD and by gosh the message came today about pre-order available. So I ordered and it's coming and I'm so excited!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

DirtyACE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alswamprat View Post
As you can see I am new to the forum. This website is terrific! I followed advice I read on here about letting Amazon know I wanted the new CD and by gosh the message came today about pre-order available. So I ordered and it's coming and I'm so excited!
Welcome to the forum alswamprat. You joined just in time for the new album. Hope you enjoy your stay
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Being View Post
I took me about two weeks. I can read: I don't have to look every word in the dictionary. I use wordreference (I can't post urls yet lol) but full vocabulary will take me long time.
Anyway, already knowing English and Spanish, most words are similar to either one or the other, that is, nouns mostly. Verbs have 3 forms like in Spanish according to their termination (-er -ir -re). Then I visited some sites, where I found out some constructions, like the negative with "pas", that are unfamiliar to me.
I cannot understand spoken French yet, but I'm a bit relaxed as I have some basis now (I'm not desperate any more).

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it a lot, it makes me feel comfortable
Cool! So spanish helps you. Negative with "ne" and "pas".
I don't know many words yet. I know some verbs, subjects (ofcourse), and all that... Hey, how do you understand the time, like that past tense, and others?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Abstract Being is on a distinguished road

Yeah!
Mmmm, verbs in French can be translated to Spanish almost directly, because Spanish has the same variations: indicative, compounds, subjunctives, etc. each changing according to same pronouns (I, you, he/she, etc). So the difficulty is to remember them.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 PM

What about tenses?
How do you understand them?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuisRusse View Post
What about tenses?
How do you understand them?
He was in fact talking about the tenses in his response. Spanish and French have reasonably similar tense structures (unlike Russian, which has very few tenses if I recall).
I think you may have to ask more specific questions than "how do you understand tenses?" I mean, do you want to understand the difference between the passe simple and passe compose, or the concept of a subjunctive, or etc. etc.?

Maybe this will help you:

http://lingvo.asu.ru/france/france.html

Tags
alizée gifs