Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 AM
lililover

lilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post

I have watched all to many female performers (I will stress performer as a stage show is always more than just the singing) who have started off as very energetic early in their careers. Then, as they become very popular, they settle into a quiet stage performance (thinking the audiance is there to see her) and wonder why the audience startes to drift away. They come for the performer, but also for the performance.
How true! I remember this one concert by Elton John in my city. 7000 people attended it. And you know what he did? just sat on his damn white piano and pretended we didn't exist. I mean his stage voice is one of a kind, still it wouldn't hurt to get off your butt for the audience!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
How true! I remember this one concert by Elton John in my city. 7000 people attended it. And you know what he did? just sat on his damn white piano and pretended we didn't exist. I mean his stage voice is one of a kind, still it wouldn't hurt to get off your butt for the audience!
Might have been hard to dance around a lot if he had to play that white piano the whole time.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 AM

Gatchaman is on a distinguished road

She needs to do whatever it takes to get the old music arrangements back. Sure she wants to reinvent herself, but do it through the new songs and don't screw with the old school ones.

Otherwise, I'm glad that she's touring again. Oh and I do think that she needs to show off her dancing skills more often. Bssides that is what she started out as.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonchops80 View Post
I know it's probably not for this thread, but is there any story, however detailed, about what happened between Alizee, Farmer, and Bettannat(I think that's how you spell it)?
Not really, I think...

Alizée, as far as we know, simply wanted to separate herself from M/L to meet new people, produce her own music, etc. She has repeatedly said in interviews that they separated on "very good terms." When Psychédélices was completed, Alizée apparently sent Mylène a copy but received no response.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post
Not really, I think...

Alizée, as far as we know, simply wanted to separate herself from M/L to meet new people, produce her own music, etc. She has repeatedly said in interviews that they separated on "very good terms." When Psychédélices was completed, Alizée apparently sent Mylène a copy but received no response.

No response eh? Has Mylene or LB made any statements at all about Psychédélices? If not I wonder what they think of the new album.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

no but they are very private people and never really make any statements to the public it seems.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

The performance of L'Effet from the Moscow concert is wonderful! The band plays quietly in this song, and there are clearly two keyboard instruments: an organ and a piano. The acoustics of the hall sound fine here. A piano compliments her voice very nicely as does an acoustic guitar because those instruments have rich harmonic overtones and they are not overpowering. I think it's imperative that the band not overpower her delicate voice, and that the arrangements of the songs leave plenty of "space" for her vocals. The 99 Red Balloons performance is an example of the band competing with her, and Alizée is going to loose that battle every time.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Wannabe Minstrel

Infatuated is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post

I'm sure she is testing the waters and trying out ideas with these early performances, just like many of the shows that end up on Broadway go on the road first to iron out the bugs in places far (sometimes very far) removed from New York.

This is a good point to raise. With her performing in Moscow for the first show, she possibly thought she would be farther removed from the critics and loads of cameras. In this day and age that is impossible, as most of us have already watched a good chunk of that performance already (albiet terrible recordings). I was often wondering why she started the tour off in the frozen tundra of Mother Russia? But it makes more sense to me now, if she had given that same performance in Paris, people would be screaming and crying this is curtains for her.

This first performance of the tour has many kinks to work out. And people have already gone on and on about that in this and other threads. I keep saying to myself that she will take a good look at that show and vastly improve on it for the Mexico dates.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuated View Post
This is a good point to raise. With her performing in Moscow for the first show, she possibly thought she would be farther removed from the critics and loads of cameras. In this day and age that is impossible, as most of us have already watched a good chunk of that performance already (albiet terrible recordings). I was often wondering why she started the tour off in the frozen tundra of Mother Russia? But it makes more sense to me now, if she had given that same performance in Paris, people would be screaming and crying this is curtains for her.

This first performance of the tour has many kinks to work out. And people have already gone on and on about that in this and other threads. I keep saying to myself that she will take a good look at that show and vastly improve on it for the Mexico dates.

agreed!
i think also the low lighting and rather grayish feel of the whole concert is fitting for a place like Mother Russia - not exactly comparable to places like Mexico, California, Paris...
I would bet good money that her performance in Mexico will be much better
Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Perfecting tmesis

Par mon paupieres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
For me the key is the music. Alizée is a singer and it’s a musical concert, so I think the music is the most important thing and must come first. The singing, the sound, the arrangements, and the musicianship have to be spot on. I only mention it because I think there still is work to do in this department. All the clothes, lights, hair styles, and other window dressing can never make up for a lack luster musical performance. If the music really has energy, really touches your heart and inspires you, you probably wouldn’t care if she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Of course, a good visual show is the icing on the cake, but you gotta have a cake first.
Completely agree with this point.I've been to many gigs that have been stunning and all that's on stage is the band.Alternatively I've seen terrible shows were all the stage pyrotechnics in the world couldn't disguise the terrible sound and performance.

As others have pointed out already I believe the audience has a large role in the success of any performance as the artist can feed off the favourable reactions increasing the performer's confidence (particularly important in Alizee's case maybe).It's like at sporting events where often the crowd can be silent waiting to be entertained when if they provided support from the start the morale of the performers is lifted straight away enabling a better performance.I suppose it could be argued if you pay your money you should expect to be entertained regardless but this synthesis between artist and audience can make such a difference to a show's success.

From what I've been hearing the audience in Moscow was pretty ambivalent whether this was due to the seated venue , cultural differences or the demographic of the crowd I just don't know.Although from what I'm hearing the crowds in Mexico should be a lot more enthusiastic which should hopefully create a more tangible atmosphere.

Also may I just say that this is the kind of thread that persuaded me to register here in the first place with well thought out arguments and constructive criticism without resorting to back-biting.Thanks.