Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road
Cool The Next Big Thing For The Internet?

Hey i'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers

have you guys heard of "The Grid"

supposedly the next big step for the internet

some guy at the law office was talking about atoms being smashed and downloading a movie on your PC within seconds

here's an article dealing with it

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2001/03/42230
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
lililover

lilly is on a distinguished road

yeah I've heard of it CERN labs,Sweden developed it. (The same guys who gave us the internet). Its currently used to record data from their huge hadron collider( basically a 28km particle accelerator) Though the grid is extremely powerful in terms of bandwidth, I doubt it can replace the web overnight. Its something like blu-ray discs trying to replace DVDs. It may be better but still has a tough time competing with older technology.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM

GianGian is on a distinguished road

They will alway smake something new to make you throw away your thing and get a new one. $$$$$$$$. This is what technology is about. And a lot of times, the new technology is worse than the old. See CDs------>LPs
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Question

I thought DARPA gave us the internet.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

kinda funny i talked about computers earlier

i just got infected with trojan virus

and some type of "cyberlog X" spyware

can you guys tell me what type of anti-virus/anti-spyware i can use for free?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Our ability to cram more data through the pipes (or even the development of new pipes) will continue. But speed technology does not always reach you, or reaches you in unexpected ways.

I have fiber optic to the house and a CAT5 to my router. I have a capacity of 100mbs. What do I get? 5mbs down and 2mbs up. Why? Because my service provider is intentionally RESTRICTING throughput. That's because they charge a premium for faster service. If I paid for faster service, my provider wouldn't need to crank up their throughput, they would simply turn off their restriction. Hence, speed TECHNOLOGY does not always equate to speed at the keyboard...at least not for a price.

Another problem with super high speed capability is the fact it can be used for good or bad. A super high speed network tied to the exiting internet could be used by bad actors to pretty much shut down the internet as we know it through denial of service attacks.

Speed is a two edged sword. Things should, in general, get faster. But it won't come as fast as advertised and it will come with caveats, and a host of other problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
yeah I've heard of it CERN labs,Sweden developed it. (The same guys who gave us the internet). Its currently used to record data from their huge hadron collider( basically a 28km particle accelerator) Though the grid is extremely powerful in terms of bandwidth, I doubt it can replace the web overnight. Its something like blu-ray discs trying to replace DVDs. It may be better but still has a tough time competing with older technology.
The grid is not intended to replace the Internet, in fact it depends on the Internet.

From wikipedia: "CERN, one of the largest users of grid technology, talk of The Grid: "a service for sharing computer power and data storage capacity over the Internet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_computing

Quote:
This is what technology is about. And a lot of times, the new technology is worse than the old. See CDs------>LPs
Not really. CDs are superior to LPs in my opinion. They're smaller, much more robust, cheaper and offer superior sound quality (IMHO). In fact I can't think of any new technology that is not an advancement over what came before (VHS->DVD->Blueray for example)...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs View Post
I thought DARPA gave us the internet.
You're correct (altough it was called ARPA at the time), but the WWW was created at CERN.

*Edit*: The article that was linked to at the beginning of this thread is almost seven years old. Seems like the idea got nowhere (at least for the general public)...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM

GianGian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post

Not really. CDs are superior to LPs in my opinion. They're smaller, much more robust, cheaper and offer superior sound quality (IMHO). In fact I can't think of any new technology that is not an advancement over what came before (VHS->DVD->Blueray for example)...
LPs sound quality is far superior...and they were about the same price as CDs, I mean music CDs you buy on stores. Mp3 players are an advancement over portable CD players?? No way! They will stop working faster, sound quality is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

can you guys tell me what type of anti-virus/anti-spyware i can use for free?
AdAware and AVG. Both free.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianGian View Post
They will alway smake something new to make you throw away your thing and get a new one. $$$$$$$$. This is what technology is about. And a lot of times, the new technology is worse than the old. See CDs------>LPs

This is what consumerism is about...