Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road
Default Discussing sexual content in Alizée's work

Following recent tensions that arose from discussing sexual matters on these forums, I would like to see what members’ opinions on the matter are. Maybe we could poll the members at some point, but for now... Here we go!

I do understand that this is a sensitive subject for many AAm members, but somehow, I believe we have to get past this recurring dilemma. Is it acceptable or not to discuss the sexual content found in Alizée’s work on AAm forums? Two reasons are usually brought forward to explain why we have to tone down sexual topics; first, some members are too young, and second, some members (or the general public) might be offended by such content. I would say that neither are valid reasons to censor sexual content.

AAm forums’ content is purportedly “PG-13 level, or under”. I suppose this means that we have to keep the content to, let say, the level of an 8 y.o, at all times. Isn't this impossible to achieve if adults will be participating as well? As for the PG-13 level, it is generally understood as making sure the content is suitable for a teenager, 13 y.o. or over. Is it realistic to believe that any average 13 y.o. likely to read the content of AAm and whom has been exposed to so much sexual content on T.V. and in popular movies and music would cringe when reading about a few references to sexual matters in a song? Is it really likely, these days, that an average 13 year old would giggle and turn red when he/she reads the word “penis” or “vagina”?

But what about people of all ages that have a particular repugnance towards sexual topics? Well, here again, I do not believe there is a case for censorship of sexual topics on AAm because the nature of the Internet makes it a dangerous place for anyone that is prone to be shocked or traumatized by mild sexual content. From the moment one gets on the Internet, there is a very clear risk of encountering sexual content. Although I myself think this is silly, maybe we could label threads [Sexual content] to help the more sensitive ones avoid being exposed to such topics. We would also then have to make sure that no sexual content is present in other threads.

Another point I would like to make is that to actually be a fan of Alizée and to request on a fan forum that others never discuss or exposed the true meaning of her songs is, in my view, both immature and hypocritical. As I mentioned in another thread, this is like a 7 year old not capable of accepting the fact that his/her parents are having sex. Is this what we are as a group? A 7 year old covering his/her ears at night to avoid being exposed to the reality. Actually, I believe that for many, this aversion to sexual topics when comes to Alizée’s work is just that, a plain and simple refusal to see this important facet in what Alizée's concept was.

To conclude, I believe there is no valid reason to censor sexual topics on AAm. But regardless of my own views on the topic, in order to get past this endless debate, I think it would be best that AAm forums makes it clear once and for all; either we can openly discuss sexual matters (going as far as what relates to Alizée’s work – and always leaving Alizée, the person, out of it) or we just have a clear rule stipulating that sexual topics are not to be discussed in here.

Edit:

From the “J.B.G. Trivia” thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
As I said before, I'd really would like to know the true meanings of these songs, but not at all costs. The danger of discussing it in this forum is we only have a few members who have a good knowledge of the French language and we have to trust in these individuals that their interpretations are right. The only one who truely knows is MF and though we may have some very educated opinions on the subject, we could really never know for sure unless she told us what she meant.

We could have other members here come along, let's say Joe Schmo who knows a limited amount of French who might do a lot of research on the internet about the lyrics in a particular song and come up with a conclusion that Alizee is saying she wants to sleep with her dad and in the bottom of their heart, might truely believe that and other members might propose interpretations that might seem outlandish, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, so once you open up that door, you better be prepared for whatever walks through.

Most of us with our limited knowledge of the language would be hard pressed to refute claims that are made and in the process Alizee's image is sullied. I'm sure most of us know there were inner meanings to these songs, most, if not all of a sexual nature, but maybe for Alizee's sake, it should be left at that and again for her sake, we should be spared the sordid details. For in the end, what real good will it do us and at what cost?
I remember a time not so long ago when a few members here were quite thankful that people with knowledge of the French language and culture were trying to help the AAm crowd with translations and interpretations of lyrics. From what you wrote, it seems that you believe this is not welcomed anymore. Or maybe you think it is fine to have francophone people help, but only for topics that are not controversial. Is it what this is all about?

As for Alizée herself, I doubt that she can actually follow a discussion on AAm and if she can and she is visiting these forums, who’s to say what her feelings towards such issues are? Again, Alizée did sing those songs and until proven otherwise, she has never stated publicly that she is disapproving of people discussing the sexual content of her early songs. Quite to the contrary, I have posted on these forums an interview where an older Alizée explains with a big grin that, at the time, she was well aware of the trickery (pretending to be an innocent girl unknowingly singing sexually charged songs) and that she went with it perfectly aware of all the meanings. One can decide to ignore she has stated this, or one can say she is now lying about how she felt early in her career, but the fact remains that we have Alizée publicly stating that she was not that innocent Corsican girl so many people here desperately want her to have been.

So, I ask you, who do you really think needs to be protected here? Alizée? Our younger members? Or maybe some members who cannot accept the fact that our little innocent Corsican girl was an act?

Last edited by Corsaire; 05-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts