Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by william p yoder View Post
lets just face facts that she has gone downhill in everyway artistically since she left mylene and mr boutinot..my god had she been singing the works of mylene and mr boutinot she would have still been the apex of my existense...sorry to say jeremy cant write music worth a damn ..we all know this
LOL no we don't. Jérémy sucks as a clothing designer, and I'm not at all sure he's any good as a manager, either, and as a performer, well, the less said the better, but he can write music. If Psychédélices has a flaw, it's that it can't figure out what kind of music it wants to be, but I understand that was intentional. The tunes are catchy and often very original, and although the J-man is young and still has far to go to reach his peak, he shows a lot of promise. I like his work. Lots of other people here do, too. Don't confuse your own personal taste and opinion with objective fact. Besides, he wasn't the only composer, although his work is strongly represented.

Where M&L are missed is not the composition but that they are such experienced professionals when it comes to the music business. There, sadly, their absence is telling. But hey, Mylène herself had to learn the ropes when she was Alizée's age. There's no teacher like experience.

Quote:
but for the sake of art one has to do the right thing artistically
But that's one of the main reasons she left Mylène. She wanted to strike out on her own, and perform music that was more representative of who she is.

Anyway, her career is not over. Psychédélices wasn't the walloping success that Gourmandises was, but it did well enough that she can keep going. Let's not play the funeral music just yet.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 10-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by william p yoder
I just wish she had talked to me or any of her fans we all would have told her maybe she wasnt happy with mylenes control.. but for the sake of art one has to do the right thing artistically..she could have been the next edith piaf if she really wanted it..her singing diction is still unparalled in my humble opinion

I understand your frustration but this was one thing I could not let slide.
An artist should NOT be controlled if being controlled is NOT what the artist wants.
What if you tell Megadeth to go "F*** off" and go Rap? Just cause of what, better album sales? Better publicity? Better attention?

If Alizée was unhappy with the Farmer/"Boutonnat" puppeteering, then by all means I encourage her to break off! For the sake of art, one has to do the right thing artistically? Are you serious...
There is no right way in ART, art is an expressive form that anyone can do from the first stages of birth to the last breath of life. Art can be expressed as a baby banging on pots and pans, or a chimpanzee making indents in a tree with a rock, to even advanced capabilites such as an adult painting a landscape with oils and acrylics, or a musician experimenting trying to find a style of their own.

If Alizée was neutral/did not mind/happy with the Farmer/Boutonnat puppeteering, then I agree, she could have picked up more from them, perhaps the skill of promotion and fan interaction. However, if she is not happy, then she must break off, she must be happy in her own sense.

Take it from Lars Ulrich:

"We didn't give a crap about what people thought, we wanted to play music the way we wanted it, what's true to us..."
-Lars Ulrich, Metallica
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
I understand your frustration but this was one thing I could not let slide.
An artist should NOT be controlled if being controlled is NOT what the artist wants.
What if you tell Megadeth to go "F*** off" and go Rap? Just cause of what, better album sales? Better publicity? Better attention?

If Alizée was unhappy with the Farmer/"Boutonnat" puppeteering, then by all means I encourage her to break off! For the sake of art, one has to do the right thing artistically? Are you serious...
There is no right way in ART, art is an expressive form that anyone can do from the first stages of birth to the last breath of life. Art can be expressed as a baby banging on pots and pans, or a chimpanzee making indents in a tree with a rock, to even advanced capabilites such as an adult painting a landscape with oils and acrylics, or a musician experimenting trying to find a style of their own.

If Alizée was neutral/did not mind/happy with the Farmer/Boutonnat puppeteering, then I agree, she could have picked up more from them, perhaps the skill of promotion and fan interaction. However, if she is not happy, then she must break off, she must be happy in her own sense.

Take it from Lars Ulrich:

"We didn't give a crap about what people thought, we wanted to play music the way we wanted it, what's true to us..."
-Lars Ulrich, Metallica
Alizee not selling out and having the courage to strike out on her own is one of the things that impresses me about her. Refusing to sell her soul in the midst of being successful and growing in fame.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Mick Jagger once said in an interview, 'I can't see myself singing Satisfaction at the age of 30.' Art is one thing, business is another. That's a hard lesson to learn in show business. First you learn your art, then you learn the business. After you've been established, then you go back to your art. The Beatles were a perfect example of this. They started out with their art. After extablishing themselves in the music business, they went back to their art. But they did it before everyones eyes. They did not take a four year break and suddenly come back on the scene with a whole new package. I can only wish Alizee the best.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Languishing Without Lili

NarutoSoul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
Alizee not selling out and having the courage to strike out on her own is one of the things that impresses me about her. Refusing to sell her soul in the midst of being successful and growing in fame.
Those willing to sell their soul never had one to begin with... Otherwise, they would know it was worth more than another human can give.

*DISCLAIMER: THAT WAS NOT A RELIGIOUS STATEMENT. I WAS NOT SPEAKING ABOUT THE SOUL AS AN OBJECT, BUT AS A NEBULOUS CONCEPT BEST DESCRIBED AS A COMBINATION OF INTEGRITY AND PERSONALITY*

Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
First you learn your art, then you learn the business. After you've been established, then you go back to your art. The Beatles were a perfect example of this.
Ah, but in the case of Alizée the "art" was already established. No one provided the Beatles some songs and compositions...and choreography from the get go. In fact, in many ways Alizée herself is part of Mylene's art. After all, was it not Mylene who was looking for someone young to fit her (Mylene's) music?

Alizée never really had the opportunity to grow "her" art, but only the opportunity to shine through someone else's. And shine very well she did indeed.

So to a certain extent, Alizée is attempting to build both her own art and her business, with the measuring stick anchored against two of the best artists in the world with combined experience twice Alizée's age.

When your faith in someone's art is shaken, look at their heart. Find comfort there.

Confiance le cœur.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
So to a certain extent, Alizée is attempting to build both her own art and her business, with the measuring stick anchored against two of the best artists in the world with combined experience twice Alizée's age.
...fighting against the stigma of the "lolita" brand of her younger days, in a market where the people have by and large dismissed her as old news, led in the effort by a team of good-for-nothing, bass-ackward baboons. Yeah, its a tall order, but she knew what she was signing up for, and she has it in her to see it through...If not in France, then elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
When your faith in someone's art is shaken, look at their heart. Find comfort there.
Best advice I've heard all week .
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Mylene made a personna. She had songs in her mind but knew she needed the right look and the perfect voice to pull it off. Then she saw Alizee on a television show. She took her and groomed her for the part. Alizee went on tours, concerts, television shows and interviews all under Mylenes watchful eye. The look, the dress and what to say and when to say it all came from Mylene. It was Mylene that made Alizee what she was. It was like watching Pygmalion come to life.

So the person who stepped out of show business four years ago is not the same person who has returned. We shouldn't compare what she was then to who she is now. They are two completely different people. Psychédélices is Alizee, the real Alizee. This is her own starting point. I don't know what is going to happen to her. I can only wish her and her family the very best of everything.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I liked everything Alizée did with Mylene, but I really like the Alizée we see now. She definitely does seem more real to me. I don't know what's going to happen to her either, and like you, Rocket, I wish her and her family well. But with her success in Mexico, she at least has something to try to build on.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Mylene made a personna. She had songs in her mind but knew she needed the right look and the perfect voice to pull it off. Then she saw Alizee on a television show. She took her and groomed her for the part. Alizee went on tours, concerts, television shows and interviews all under Mylenes watchful eye. The look, the dress and what to say and when to say it all came from Mylene. It was Mylene that made Alizee what she was. It was like watching Pygmalion come to life.

So the person who stepped out of show business four years ago is not the same person who has returned. We shouldn't compare what she was then to who she is now. They are two completely different people. Psychédélices is Alizee, the real Alizee. This is her own starting point. I don't know what is going to happen to her. I can only wish her and her family the very best of everything.
I really liked the Alizee with Mylene under her eye, but now she is independent, and she must be happier now she is free to xpress herself with more freedom. But, I think it would be pretty hard to success without Mylene, is like start again.