Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 02:11 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
When doing a Google search about "Amelie," this is some information that can be found:

............ Shot in over 80 Parisian locations, .................
I have the dvd. Having been to Paris several times, I'll have to watch it some time and figure out how many places I can recognize. I have been to the restaurant where this was filmed.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I have the dvd. Having been to Paris several times, I'll have to watch it some time and figure out how many places I can recognize. I have been to the restaurant where this was filmed.
How cool! Do you have any photos from the restaurant? Did you go there before or after this was filmed?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
How cool! Do you have any photos from the restaurant? Did you go there before or after this was filmed?
I went there after it was filmed. I'll have to do some looking to find those pictures.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:11 PM

Here's a picture I took inside the restaurant. You can see a picture of Amelie the character towards the back.

Screenshot (23) cropped.jpg
Old 07-13-2020, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Here's a picture I took inside the restaurant. You can see a picture of Amelie the character towards the back.

Attachment 3082
That’s a great picture! Do you know the name of the restaurant?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
That’s a great picture! Do you know the name of the restaurant?
Cafe des 2 Moulins

Dscf2174 resized.jpg
Old 07-15-2020, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Here is some interesting information from Wikpedia about the Cafe des 2 Moulins:

"The Café des 2 Moulins is a café in the Montmartre area of Paris that takes its name from the two nearby historical windmills, Moulin Rouge and Moulin de la Galette. The interior consists of a bar area and multiple small tables."

The Montmartre area of Paris is on a hill which made it favorable for windmills in that area at the time.

The Moulin Galette was a grain mill and had associated businesses like a bakery and this was an area people used to like to hang out and is depicted in one of Renoir's famous paintings. The Debray family took ownership of the mill in the early 19th century. They made a tasty bread which they served with milk and was very popular with the locals and was called galette and that is what the windmill took it's name from.

During the siege of Paris in 1815 three of the Debray brothers were killed defending the mill. One before he died, killed a Russian officer. After that brother was killed, he was cut into four sections with each section being attached to one of the blades of the windmill.

The Moulin Rouge was inaugurated in 1889, the same year as the Eiffel Tower.
Built at the foot of the Montmartre that got its name from the previously mentioned event that took place in 1815.

...Copyright © French Moments Ltd unless otherwise stated. Read more at https://frenchmoments.eu/moulin-rouge-paris/

I'm not sure if the "original" Moulin Rouge windmill was ever a functioning windmill. As mentioned, it was built at the base of the hill, which isn't the best place to put a windmill. It seems the primary purpose of the mill and the surrounding area was shows and exhibitions.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Here is some interesting information from Wikpedia about the Cafe des 2 Moulins:

"The Café des 2 Moulins is a café in the Montmartre area of Paris that takes its name from the two nearby historical windmills, Moulin Rouge and Moulin de la Galette. The interior consists of a bar area and multiple small tables."

The Montmartre area of Paris is on a hill which made it favorable for windmills in that area at the time.

The Moulin Galette was a grain mill and had associated businesses like a bakery and this was an area people used to like to hang out and is depicted in one of Renoir's famous paintings. The Debray family took ownership of the mill in the early 19th century. They made a tasty bread which they served with milk and was very popular with the locals and was called galette and that is what the windmill took it's name from.

During the siege of Paris in 1815 three of the Debray brothers were killed defending the mill. One before he died, killed a Russian officer. After that brother was killed, he was cut into four sections with each section being attached to one of the blades of the windmill.

The Moulin Rouge was inaugurated in 1889, the same year as the Eiffel Tower.
Built at the foot of the Montmartre that got its name from the previously mentioned event that took place in 1815.

...Copyright © French Moments Ltd unless otherwise stated. Read more at https://frenchmoments.eu/moulin-rouge-paris/

I'm not sure if the "original" Moulin Rouge windmill was ever a functioning windmill. As mentioned, it was built at the base of the hill, which isn't the best place to put a windmill. It seems the primary purpose of the mill and the surrounding area was shows and exhibitions.
That is very interesting stuff, for me anyways. Paris is such an amazing city to visit with all it's history and such a great city to walk around in because every time you turn a street corner, you see something interesting to see as opposed to London where everything is so spread out.

I wish I had known about the history of the Moulin Galette before I went there. I actually passed by it and took a picture the same day I was in the Cafe des 2 Moulins back in March of 2013.

Dscf2183 resized.jpg
Old 02-17-2021, 12:50 AM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

2006: A Good Year of Ridley Scott - additional music (the song goes into the film when the character played by Russell Crowe drives in the French countryside with his car).