Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Star Club magazine article from 2003

STAR_CLUB_02-2003_2_.jpg

SUPER O2/2003
Alizée: "My picture in Voici bothered me a little..."

Almost three years after the "Moi Lolita" phenomenon, Alizée is back with a new single, very anticipated by her fans, "J'en ai marre." Dressed in red and black, she met with us in a big Parisian hotel. She hasn't changed, the star, even if her hair has grown a little... and her tongue has loosened...a little. Results of the interview:

Delighted to see you again, Alizée. Can you tell us what you did during this long absence?
A: The last show I did in France was the Restos du Coeur, in January 2002. And from January to July, I traveled all over Europe. They called me to perform "Moi... Lolita" in all the countries of Europe, including England.

Generating interest in England is very rare for a French artist. Do you envision singing one day in English?
A: I prepared four songs in English for the next album for the international release. In fact, these versions will replace only a few French songs and will be adaptations written by Mylène Farmer.

Did you take a break at all?
A: Actually, I only had the month of August for vacation. I returned to Ajaccio, in Corsica, and I took a few days for myself. Then, from September to January, I was in the studio for my new album. I worked on the recording of the album for more than four months.

Quite a few rumors have been going around on your account these past few months. Have some of them bothered you?
A: Bothered me? No. I'd say rather that they made me laugh. From the moment when I saw myself in the press next to Olivier, my agent, that made me laugh (Ed. note: the weekly "Voici" published photos of her and led us to believe that she had found her ideal guy, when it was actually her agent). But I'd still rather have it be with him than with someone else.

How did you react to that, when you saw yourself on the cover of "Voici" taken in photograph with him?
A: At first, the first impression I had was that it bothered me, I admit. It was strange to me, because I didn't realize that they had taken our picture. I didn't see anything. And then, I thought about the fact that all the journalists know him and know that it's completely false.

Do you want to go onstage to promote this new album?
A: I hope to go onstage soon. I don't know when exactly, nor where. But we're waiting to see how the second album will be received. Following that, I think I'll go onstage.

Do you already feel ready?
A: In my head, I'm ready. But after that, I think there'll be a complete training. I'm already preparing choreography for a lot of the songs. I'd like to do a spectacle "à la Alizée," in fact... I'll try to take, as much as possible, my ideas, and not steal anyone else's.

Would you like to do a big show like Mylène or like Michael Jackson instead of an intimate concert?
A: It won't be an intimate concert because that's not my style. I won't do a concert like Michael Jackson or Mylène Farmer either because that's not possible. They're the only ones who do that. They're big artists.

Maybe...but you can have the same desire, right?
A: I can dream about it, but let's say that we're going to try to do between the two. It would be too hard to do it as well as they do.

Was your absence a little "calculated"?
A: It wasn't a strategy. But since I was seen a lot for a year and a half, I did a lot of things, but not just anything: I was a little afraid of people getting tired of me. When an artist is liked, the public is satisfied, in the beginning, but after awhile, they get fed up with it. Even if what the artist does is good, people have enough of it. They get weary. I decided to set myself aside for awhile.

To make yourself quite rare...
A: Let's say rather to come back later on...(laughs).

[Super Plus!]:
"Moi Lolita" was released in July 2000. Alizée was 16 at the time.
Her songs have been ranked #1 almost everywhere in the world.
She has sold more than 4 million records.
Her second album, still written by Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat, should be released next month.

J'en ai marre (lyrics)

Among French pop singers, Alizée figures as one of the main representatives throughout the world, according to the Bureau Export, in charge of analyzing the success of French artists abroad. Thanks to the different singles released from her first album, Gourmandises, the young Corsican has conquered a large audience, as much in Europe as on the Asian continent, between... Daft Punk and the Supermen Lovers! J'en ai marre carries the undeniable signature of Mylène Farmer and prefigures the March 2003 release of the young artist's second album. This new single is a smooth rebellion against the terrible news that confront our eyes and ears every day and against which it is often preferable to drown in a bubble bath... Alizée's goldfish wouldn't be opposed to that!