Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road
Default BOUTONNAT IS BACK : Julia , the new Alizée ?

Hello old friends,

It's been a while, I have unfortunately lost interest in following Alizée in the Post Blonde-era but I am still very much a fan of Alizée and Laurent Boutonnat's music...which is why you'll understand my excitement when I watched this this morning...

Julia , barely 17 years old is Laurent Boutonnat's new "muse" , the similarities with the Alizée of the Gourmandises years are striking... Even this first music video reminds me SO MUCH of the L'Alizé and Gourmandises MVs ..

This kid needs our full support

More infos here (article in french) https://www.mylene.net/modules/index.php?r=4&z=4787

Bonus:

Alizée is teaching her well https://www.instagram.com/p/BnV3aUXF...taken-by=julia

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..

Last edited by lapinschous; 09-12-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Hey Lapinschous...good to hear from you. Julia is a beautiful young lady with a very good voice and I enjoy the music, but the song doesn't grab me yet. Maybe if I listen to it a few more times, plus I'm sure there will be several more to follow, some of which I'm sure I'll like if they were produced by MF/LB.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-12-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Edsel Di Meo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Hey Lapinschous...good to hear from you. Julia is a beautiful young lady with a very good voice and I enjoy the music, but the song doesn't grab me yet. Maybe if I listen to it a few more times, plus I'm sure there will be several more to follow, some of which I'm sure I'll like if they were produced by MF?LB.
Same, i didn't like SEXTO that much but let's see i hope the upcoming songs will be better, i can trust MF and LB and this song is not enough to criticize because there will be more interesting content (i hope at least)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
Julia , barely 17 years old is Laurent Boutonnat's new "muse" , the similarities with the Alizée of the Gourmandises years are striking... Even this first music video reminds me SO MUCH of the L'Alizé and Gourmandises MVs ..

This kid needs our full support
Hello lapinschous!

I cannot speak for the others, but for me, Alizee was (and remains) an anomaly. I never was a fan of any other singer enough to join a fan site other than Alizee. She knocked me off my chair when I saw her for the first time. I can't explain it, it just happened. Beauty is a dime a dozen, but for someone to hold my interest for 12 years counting is really something. It goes beyond the physical.

While Julia is certainly beautiful in her own way, that is not enough for me to become a fan of something just for the sake that she is a product of MF/LB. Julia, as she stands right now, is a product to seduce the masses for profit. One could make a similar argument that Alizee was used in the same way, but Alizee proved over time there was certain things she would not sell out for. That gave me much respect for Alizee, but is still something to be determined for Julia.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Hi Scruffy , glad to see you're still here !

No I totally get it, Julia is nowhere close to having Alizée's "X-factor" , but it's Boutonnat's unmistakeable touch and style that makes me nostalgic , I see a lot potential in Julia's first music video and knowing that Alizée stands behind her and LBs project makes me look forward to see what Julia has got in store

Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Scruffy , glad to see you're still here !

No I totally get it, Julia is nowhere close to having Alizée's "X-factor" , but it's Boutonnat's unmistakeable touch and style that makes me nostalgic , I see a lot potential in Julia's first music video and knowing that Alizée stands behind her and LBs project makes me look forward to see what Julia has got in store
I have no doubt her first album will be a success.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Alizee's "x-factor" might be as simple as the right place at the right time.

I tried listening to S.E.X.T.O. without watching the video at the same time, and I found it to be more enjoyable, and it really is a good song, except a little repetitive toward the end. In the video, the whole sexual tension squirming around and hair blowing in the wind in slow motion thing is predictable and overused. Wow, am I ever showing my age here!

Certainly MF fans will support Julia, and that alone would make her successful, but can she expand out of that circle?

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 09-14-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Lucas is on a distinguished road

However Mylene's fanbase is big, according to reactions of fans, I have doubts Julia will be very successful. Like the others, I have the same feeling they are just recycling what we had in 2000. Their project with Alizée was unique in many ways, and so it is and will be really impossible to go out from the shadow of the only and original "Lolita". They will compare everything what will be released.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM

The parallels are making me smile from ear to ear

Just look at that last little dance move at the end
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnt01Y3H...taken-by=julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Alizee's "x-factor" might be as simple as the right place at the right time.
Exactly! The right time especially ! Lolitas come in 15 years cycles in France... France Gall..Vanessa Paradis... Alizée... Julia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Certainly MF fans will support Julia, and that alone would make her successful, but can she expand out of that circle?
In order to expand out the circle of MF fans, Julia needs to succeed where Alizée failed: win the hearts of the British public , which is the door to the US market . Alizée at her peaked conquered Europe from Holland to Italy, from Spain to Russia, even managed to seduce Japan and Korea to some extent... but she never really got famous in the UK , probably due to the difficulty the Brits and Americans have with non-english songs. Julia is fluent in english , this might be the decisive factor

Last edited by lapinschous; 09-14-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly! The right time especially ! Lolitas come in 15 years cycles in France... France Gall..Vanessa Paradis... Alizée... Julia ?
Interesting observation. Thank you!

The year 2000 was quite strategic to introduce the next Lolita. The Y2K fears were unfounded and the world didn't end, the world economy was roaring. Optimism was probably at an all time high. Then comes this breath of fresh air named Alizee, this beautiful and mysterious girl from Corsica, and 90% of the world has no idea where Corsica is, adding to the mystery.

Thinking about it, how can this ever be replicated in our lifetime?

Quote:
In order to expand out the circle of MF fans, Julia needs to succeed where Alizée failed: win the hearts of the British public , which is the door to the US market . Alizée at her peaked conquered Europe from Holland to Italy, from Spain to Russia, even managed to seduce Japan and Korea to some extent... but she never really got famous in the UK , probably due to the difficulty the Brits and Americans have with non-english songs. Julia is fluent in english , this might be the decisive factor
I think Julia has a better than good chance at the UK/US market other than she speaks fluent English, but probably better in the UK. The US is very divided right now culturally between those who would welcome an "anything goes" mentality and those who see the country slipping too much in one direction and resist. The norm has been moderate throughout the decades but that seems to be breaking down. Julia would have to be packaged well but I would not want her to sell out to one side or the other, but to appeal to the middle.

The female French singers present themselves as sexy but not trashy. There is the potential of a huge amount of people in the US who would love to see that.