Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2020, 07:03 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road
Default Considering learning French at school

Bit of a long post so big thanks to those who read through it

Subject selections for 2021 have begun for my grade, and I have a few weeks to decide on what subjects to choose.

There are 5 slots, though I only need to do 4 subjects. All the subjects I want to do or are considering doing are available on regular campus, except for French. It's one of many subjects that students can do at another school elsewhere in the city.

If French was available at my school specifically I would choose it no question, but because it's available only elsewhere in the city I've got a decision to make over whether the commute to and from town for the one subject is worthwhile.

I've never really had much interest in learning a language, but now because, well...Alizee, it's something I am seriously considering. Perhaps my priorities are out of line learning a language solely for this one reason, though of course speaking a 2nd language is a good life skill to have etc etc.

Just seems like if I'm ever going to learn French, or any language for that matter, it's best to do it now when I'm still young and have it contribute to my tertiary education.

To be fair it would only be a foundation subject, I don't at all expect to be even close to fluent if I do the course, but it's at least a good base to work off. If it goes well and I enjoy it then I could continue learning in my own time, if it doesn't work out so well then at least I had a go.

Would like to hear if there are any native English speakers here who went on to learn French, or anyone really, is it worth it? Would the commute into town and time lost be worth the endeavour? Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated