Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Favorite song on Une Enfant du Siecle?
Eden Eden 17 16.67%
Grand Central 12 11.76%
Limelight 4 3.92%
La Candida 5 4.90%
Les Collines 17 16.67%
14 Decembre 3 2.94%
A Coeur Fendre 10 9.80%
Factory Girl 10 9.80%
Une Fille Difficile 4 3.92%
Mes Fantomes 20 19.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrick View Post
Having lived with the album for a couple of weeks I honestly can't pick a favourite song , I just love it from beginning to end. From Alizee's career point of view, I just wish their were a couple more easily accessible tunes to appeal to the masses. To me, it seems to be and album for existing fans to love rather than to attract the millions of new fans she deserves. Just my opinion, what do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I think a bit differently than you. To this, this album is definitely not aimed for her existing fans. I mean, it's just way too different than what her existing fans like her for.

I don't think she was aiming really high with this album either. Rather than trying to get back on top during the Moi...lolita craze, she seems more intent on just being successful with the new style.
From some of the very good text interviews, it seems that this album appeals more to people who appreciate music on a more artistic level, rather than something to be consumed in order to assimilate with the popular crowd. The themes and sounds are almost all taken out of the 60s, 70s, and 80s which almost certainly won't necessarily appeal to the youth market which would seem to be driving sales, especially thing like iTunes. There's no denying the new album is still pop, but it's almost a sample history of certain elements of pop rather than pop of the now. These are the kinds of stories and sounds that interest her; the musicians and producers she worked with she chose because she liked the kinds of music they were producing. She's also said she doesn't want to produce music which is too complicated and can't appeal to the mainstream; but I think that comes more from a place of Alizée doesn't enjoy music that's so complicated or obtuse that it can't appeal to the mainstream.

Does Alizée wish she could sell millions of copies and be a massive hit? I'm sure she would. But she's made it pretty clear that when it comes to setting priorities, that producing work that interests her and that she can be proud of is far more important than just sales. She's said that when working with Mylène she started to feel a bit like a product, but when she split from Mylène she was really concerned about losing her fans. I think there were a lot "fans" that were more fans of what Mylène had created, and with Psychédélices and Une Enfant du Siècle many of them have fallen by the wayside. But with Alizée's active fan-base on the internet (of which she is now well aware), and also the international fans which keep showing up at her autograph signings (of which AAm, I think, is now a quite visible component ), I think she now knows that there is a loyal group of fans that appreciate her more than Mylène's image.

In short I don't think this album was specifically meant for existing fans nor for an audience that was necessarily not her fans. I think this album was for her and that she just hopes other people will enjoy it too.

Last edited by CFHollister; 04-13-2010 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

See, that's what I like about this place. If I can't say it, someone can!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Draw Me A Sheep

Eldrick is on a distinguished road

I totally agree that she has made the album she wanted to make with no overt attempt to be massively commercial. From a purely selfish point of view I just hope that she remains commercially viable enough to continue recording because with both Psych and UEDS I believe she shows true talent and promise and I want to continue enjoying her music and her beautiful voice for years to come.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrick View Post
I totally agree that she has made the album she wanted to make with no overt attempt to be massively commercial. From a purely selfish point of view I just hope that she remains commercially viable enough to continue recording because with both Psych and UEDS I believe she shows true talent and promise and I want to continue enjoying her music and her beautiful voice for years to come.
Kinda preachin' to the choir I don't think you'll get any argument here
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I can't get over this little tune...

(her voice sounds angelic and sensual)
<center><embed src="http://static.flashwidgetz.com/swf/slim.swf?id=FIIZPOVFRW2GRYLYIT" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" wmode="transparent" name="slimslider" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" align="middle" height="110" width="220"></center>

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

I can't get over this little tune...

(her voice sounds angelic and sensual)
<center><embed src="http://static.flashwidgetz.com/swf/slim.swf?id=FIIZPOVFRW2GRYLYIT" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" wmode="transparent" name="slimslider" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" align="middle" height="110" width="220"></center>
Oh, I totally agree. Unfortunately, in 14e Decembre and in Grand Central too, I'm less of a fan of the less melodic sections that comprise the verses which is what bumps them below the like of Eden Eden and Mes Fantômes in my preference rankings.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hard to pick just one

The thing for me is that even after playing the album well over a hundred times since last Friday I still don't skip any tracks. I give it an A+.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

As the Comic Book Guy would say: "worst..album..ever."

Sorry. I'm not feeling it. If you'll excuse me I am going to go live in the past when Alizee was decent.

FAVORITE? Hardly: A Coeur Fendre.

Last edited by BlackAnthem; 04-13-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Ahh, see, I was waiting for a post like that. I have no problem with it, I just wanted to see what a detractor of this album might say. Thank you, blackanthem. I really hope you don't mean worst ever, maybe worst Alizée ever? We all love the old Alizée, but some more than others I guess.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Although I've read the lyrics of this song "14 Decembre" in French, Spanish and English, I still don't see the connection with this song and Edie Sedgwick. Does anyone know what the connection is ?? Can someone shed some light please or should I say Limelight...

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com