Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM

ggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
And when you come, I can guide you by the best spots of the city man!
You'll be welcome here!
Thanks, man. Maybe I'll get a chance to hold you to that someday!

My signature and Avatar courtesy of the lovely and talented Amelie!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Oviedo - Asturias

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Fu7c58zJNA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Fu7c58zJNA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://www.simonseeks.com/travel-gui...oviedo__111717

Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 03-12-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-24-2020, 01:06 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pu....8495788?hl=en

Old 02-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post

OK, you sold me. I'll get packed while you get the spare bedroom ready. I hope you like to fish!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:50 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
OK, you sold me. I'll get packed while you get the spare bedroom ready. I hope you like to fish!
And the best part is that you are actually closer to Ajaccio than most of France
Old 02-24-2020, 04:23 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
CleverCowboy, y’killin’ me…

It is so very beautiful though, adding it to the list of places that I’ve still got to see…

Well, originally i'm from what is now a “suburb” of…

20 Things to do in Edinburgh, Scotland Travel Guide

This tiny country was home…

Scotland

Now, "home" is a suburb of…

Friends - Chandler is moving to Tulsa

Still looking for something notable about this one…

Oh well…
Old 06-29-2020, 03:10 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road
Default Tassie

Right, here's a post about my local state and city. It's a long one, so I appreciate anyone who reads through the whole thing

You all know about Australia I'm sure. The Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Great barrier Reef etc. so I'll make things more specific.

I've spent my whole life (so far) in the one house, in the regional city of Launceston in the North of Tasmania.

The City's home to ~100,000 people, and acts as the regional centre for the North of the state, the State Capital is Hobart in the south (~250,000 people).
Launceston is situated right where two smaller rivers meet to create the Tamar river, which is more of an estuary. Anyway, I won't bore you guys with the geography of the place unless you want to hear more about it, if so let me know!

This picture below is an example of a view from the suburb I live in that's on the North-west end of the city, which overlooks the Tamar river and Tamar island, a relaxing walking trail. You can also see some of the local sport fields, and the sole school I've attended since 2007 is there too, though a bit hard to see from this view. So plenty of memories associated with what can be seen from here, most of which is within a 15-20 minute walk.

In terms of other things to see in and around Launceston...

There's Penny Royal, which is sort of an adventure site with a restaurant, inn, boat ride and other activities. Some of the buildings are made of bricks that were found and relocated from another site in Tassie, and the whole thing is built in an old quarry quite close to the city.

UTAS Stadium is the main place for sport, mainly hosting Aussie Rules Football and Cricket. It's not the greatest stadium ever but I enjoy going there when I have the chance.

Up one of the two smaller rivers I mentioned, just a short walk from the city is the Cataract George Basin. There's a chairlift, pool, walking trails, peacocks, food and more to discover. It's recently had some landscaping done so it looks slightly different now.

Just make sure you don't plan to go if it's been flooding. The amount of water that comes down is insane! This is from the 2016 floods, largest in my lifetime here, school was cancelled for at least one day that week due to the floods.

Here's a view overlooking the city centre and some surrounding suburbs:

I could be here all day, but here's one last thing about Launceston. In the City's open mall, there used to be a small books shop named Birchalls. You could buy books (duh) but also gifts, collectables, art tools, toys and what I would usually be most interested in, the Lego sets.

It was probably my favourite shop in the City, always busy but never overcrowded, and an iconic part of the Brisbane Street Mall. Unfortunately, the store shut down about three years ago after being open since 1844, which I believe made it the oldest running book store in the country until it closed
Just doesn't feel the same walking through the City when I can't have a peep at what's new in the store, they even held Lego building competitions where people would make models of things in Launceston and potentially win a prize. I can't find a picture of my entry right now, it was of a clock tower, anyway, onto the next thing...

Just outside of Launceston is a town named Lilydale. In hindsight they missed out on a great opportunity to call it Lillytown instead, maybe I should contact the council and ask for it to be changed, because, uh..."reasons'
Anyway, just outside of that town is Bridestow Lavender farm, I'll let this image speak for itself...

There's way too much stuff to cover about Tasmania, so I'll just point out some of the most notable ones, all of which I've been to.

The most postcarded (is that a word?) place would probably be Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake. A fantastic walk around the lake, it's a taste of the mountainous climate and forests in the state.

Here's Freycinet National Park and Wineglass Bay on the east coast:

This is a view of the Capital Hobart from Mount Wellington.

Towards the left you can see the Tasman Bridge, which actually partially collapsed in 1975 after a ship collided with one of it's pylons, but it's fixed now.

And there's the Stanley Nut on the north coast, situated next to the historic town

I've got it mentioned on my profile that Tasmania is the 'Corsica of Australia'. To further elaborate on it, both are islands off the south-east coast of the mainland, known for their natural beauty, mountainous landscape, and local cuisine. I assume the wine in Corsica has a good reputation, it certainly does in Tasmania, though I'm not an expert on that.
I mean, tell me there isn't atleast some resemblance between these two pictures:

To end out on some other things I love about the state. The Winter months are amazing, the rain, snow, frost, basically anything except wind I'm a sucker for. And when combining that with all the small inland historic towns, rivers, lakes, walking trails, and mountains always surrounding you, it's brilliant! The West Coast of the state is very low populated and is just complete natural beauty with a few small towns sprinkled in, all with their own unique character, such as Queenstown:

So much I could cover, but I'll leave it there for now. If you want to hear more just let me know and I'm happy to keep talking about it
Old 06-29-2020, 06:32 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

You get to see some breathtaking shots of Tasmania in the film The Hunter, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks for sharing Ben!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Right, here's a post about my local state and city. It's a long one, so I appreciate anyone who reads through the whole thing

So much I could cover, but I'll leave it there for now. If you want to hear more just let me know and I'm happy to keep talking about it
What spectacular photos! It makes me want to visit Tasmania. How wonderful to live in such a beautiful place and have so many lifelong memories there.
I like your comparison to Corsica. I can definitely see the similarities you point out in those pictures. Very cool! Thank you for a great and very interesting post.