Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

There's one problem with putting everything on YouTube.

Quote:
"MADEMOISELLE JULIETTE"
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Right, and while not happening now, I'd rather hand the site off to someone else than shut it down. But I understand Lilly Town closing, I've been pretty busy with other things myself lately, and the lack of activity from Alizée really doesn't motivate. My idea now is to move AAm to a cheaper server and get rid of the video section, since the prevalence and quality of YouTube these days makes it kind of redundant. Thoughts?

Thoughts :

Split the thread into a new one where members can put ideas about this.

Purpose of AAm video section : To provide high quality video with English subtitles.

Why youtube was not used earlier?
This is because they didn't provide high quality videos and some other limitations.

Advantages of using youtube for the site now:
1. You can provide HD videos now.

2. It would be free. Replacement of video section would mean that cost will reduce significantly. If I'm not wrong, then video streaming contribute most to the server bills. AAm comes early in google search results for "Alizée" and description of site says "High quality videos.....". Many people are attracted to that and they like to view videos here. I'm talking about the guest users. This is much better than putting ads to the sites, which makes them look bad.

3. Wider reach. With AAm videos section, only those people can see the videos who somehow want to know about her and stumble upon this site. By using youtube more people can watch the video and they can know about Alizée and AAm. That would help the site. In that case more anonymous users can discover her and the site.

4. Youtube has decided to increase the video duration limit to 15 minutes. Earlier when youtube was started they had no limit. Later they realized that no limit results are leading to uploads of movies and TV shows which was giving legal problems to them, even more after Google took over youtube. Now they have "Content ID" system, which can identify all the copyrighted material. So, now they have decided to increase the limit.

If you go to the video section of AAm, you would notice some videos which are long. Though some are longer than 15 minutes. Brad mentioned that he didn't want to split the video. http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=30

5. Videos would be playable on phones and other devices also. This is one limitation of AAm videos which can be overcome by using youtube. This once again leads to wider reach.

Limitations :

You can't all videos. Some videos will be blocked. Some will be available in selected countries.

What to do?

It's a good idea to reduce the site, but I would like to see the video section with the site.

Divide the video section in two parts. One AAm videos and other AAm youtube videos.

For AAm videos, prepare a list of must watch videos. One example of such a list : http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24 This list would contain those videos which will be must watch ones and suffer various limitations of the youtube.

At present there are 126 videos on AAm. The new list would have upto 20-25 videos which would still reduce the cost significantly. Also the new additions to this list won't be many.

AAm youtube channel : Add as many videos as possible to this channel.
There will be two ways to manage all videos.
1. Create a page for AAm youtube videos. Add the link just next to Twitter, facebook links at the top. In that page keep everything similar to the original video section of AAm. I mean the only difference would be that you would be watching embedded youtube videos just like you do in threads. Rest would be same on that page, small description, English lyrics, translation and link for discussing the video. This would certainly reduce effort for searching her all videos and finding more about them. This would certainly lead to better organization of contents and details on the forum. This is the part which will be managed mostly by Ben. If he thinks that it is time taking and he finds it difficult to take out time for this, then he can certainly ask some of members here who can help in designing such pages. He can either ask anyone to design all pages or he can design one page and ask someone to do similar pages for all videos.

2. Managing the youtube account. Ben has already mentioned that it would be a sharable one. My suggestion would be to give this account to a team of 2 people who will do all the thing. First part is growing this into a full fledged video channels. Someone who has good internet and time to upload all the videos can do this task. After that there comes the managing part which includes frequents edits and updates.
There would be different playlist on the channel which would helpful in categorizing the videos. Playlist could be similar to the ones which are in the video section like Music videos, interviews, etc.

Invite people to suggest more and contribute to this.

P.S.
I hardly use youtube for watching videos so I don't know much. I might have missed many things related to youtube, but I don't have any better ideas.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 08-13-2010 at 01:09 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Divide the video section in two parts. One AAm videos and other AAm youtube videos.

For AAm videos, prepare a list of must watch videos. One example of such a list : http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24 This list would contain those videos which will be must watch ones and suffer various limitations of the youtube.

At present there are 126 videos on AAm. The new list would have upto 20-25 videos which would still reduce the cost significantly. Also the new additions to this list won't be many.
Thanks for all the suggestions, though this one won't work. The server cost isn't due to the number of videos or overall traffic per month, it's the throughput needed to provide smooth streaming to multiple users at once at any given moment. Videos are a different beast from images and pages because once playing they can't be broken up, queued, and delivered as bandwidth becomes available. So we need to maintain a high output rate at all times. There could be one video on the site and the price would still be the same.

Last edited by Ben; 08-13-2010 at 01:29 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, though this one won't work. The server cost isn't due to the number of videos or overall traffic per month, it's the throughput needed to provide smooth streaming to multiple users at once at any given moment. Videos are a different beast from images and pages because once playing they can't be broken up, queued, and delivered as bandwidth becomes available. So we need to maintain a high output rate at all times. There could be one video on the site and the price would still be the same.
Yeah, then in that case hosting videos won't help much. My suggestion would be to consider what I said for the youtube channel of AAm

I gues you are not removing video section soon, so people can start working on the youtube channel from now. Don't add any new videos to the videos section. All the new video request can be added to youtube.

Also, lot more videos can be added, like many recent interviews and some other videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
AAm youtube channel : Add as many videos as possible to this channel.
There will be two ways to manage all videos.
1. Create a page for AAm youtube videos. Add the link just next to Twitter, facebook links at the top. In that page keep everything similar to the original video section of AAm. I mean the only difference would be that you would be watching embedded youtube videos just like you do in threads. Rest would be same on that page, small description, English lyrics, translation and link for discussing the video. This would certainly reduce effort for searching her all videos and finding more about them. This would certainly lead to better organization of contents and details on the forum. This is the part which will be managed mostly by Ben. If he thinks that it is time taking and he finds it difficult to take out time for this, then he can certainly ask some of members here who can help in designing such pages. He can either ask anyone to design all pages or he can design one page and ask someone to do similar pages for all videos.

2. Managing the youtube account. Ben has already mentioned that it would be a sharable one. My suggestion would be to give this account to a team of 2 people who will do all the thing. First part is growing this into a full fledged video channels. Someone who has good internet and time to upload all the videos can do this task. After that there comes the managing part which includes frequents edits and updates.
There would be different playlist on the channel which would helpful in categorizing the videos. Playlist could be similar to the ones which are in the video section like Music videos, interviews, etc.
This is just an extension of Ben's idea quoted below.

Quote:
I'll make a shared account everyone working on this project can use:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlizeeAmericaVideos
(nothing there yet)

Anyone interested, contact me. I just want to make sure things are uploaded in a very organized way, with captions where available, and only using the highest quality files possible. I can mail out some stuff burned to disc (subtitle and video files) if it would help.
For all those people who want to work on this :

Maintaining the standard adopted by AAm is important : good quality videos with English subtitles.

Make a list of videos to be added to the youtube channel. Get the high quality videos for those. As Ben suggested that he can mail some discs. They can download those from the video database also.

Most of the videos are already available on the youtube, especially the older videos. So, I think the newer videos are good to start with.

Prepare a list of new videos that should be added. Get the subtitles and add those to videos.

If anyone wants to upload AAm videos, then they can directly upload the good qualities videos directly or they can download AAm videos from here : http://alizeeamerica.com/media/ and upload those.

Only thing that would need to resolved is the case of blocked videos. Try to find a way to add those also.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 08-13-2010 at 02:53 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

As far as the blocked videos , i suggest creating a myspace fan page . Then not only do you most likely avoid youtubes stringent deleted video / sound policy as you can host videos there , as well gain a whole new audience of myspace users . Adding to that at least with myspace you can more customize the homepage and pretty it up with pics , vids , links etc etc .
Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

I can't donate much money or do it very often so I'm definitely up for donating time to help out. This site is very important for me and I'm sure it is also for many many others. I would love to help make it a better place for us all, and to make life easier for good ol' Ben

My internet is alright I guess, I can help upload the videos. I can download them too, though I'm not sure all the links on the database work. Because of this, I think it might be better if you sent the discs you mentioned, Ben, to cut the time it takes to download them so that way the uploader can get straight to it. For videos which can't be uploaded on youtube, I suggest that the videos tab here on AAm should be modified to include a screencap and short description of the video and a download link for those interested. You could also do this on the channel page of the youtube account.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Logical Progression

Tomtentp is on a distinguished road

Great idea, been waiting for this, always found the video section a bit excessive.

Sitting on a 100/10 mbit connection and would gladly help out. Just downed the video folder (Index/Media) and got most of the DC hub share on my HDDs.

Not sure which are the best qualities and full lengths etc, so someone need to help out organize things.

What do I know, maybe you guys have already started?
I'm available for duty nontheless.

... I see avatar people...

L´Ordre D'Alizée!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I'm all in favor of the Youtube channel or what ever ideas that people here come up with to reduce the cost of running this forum. I'm sure Ben has been paying way more than his fair, for way too long. I think I can speak for most of us here in saying we enjoy the way he has run this forum and we don't want to see it become a burden to him.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'm all in favor of the Youtube channel or what ever ideas that people here come up with to reduce the cost of running this forum. I'm sure Ben has been paying way more than his fair, for way too long. I think I can speak for most of us here in saying we enjoy the way he has run this forum and we don't want to see it become a burden to him.
This will certainly reduce the cost, but I see this as switching to something better.

I mentioned some of the advantages of using youtube videos here :

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...6&postcount=12

Except for the videos which are blocked on youtube, it's best to use youtube only. All we have to do is to find a way for the blocked video.

<hr>
<hr>

What we should do now is that to start updating the youtube channel. I don't know whether anyone contacted Ben for this or not. If anyone is interested in uploading and maintaining the channel, they can ask Ben for this.

While the youtube is being updated, we should try to find a way for the blocked videos. Does anyone think that using a different hosting service could help. Only few videos would be blocked on yotuube. So, the new video section can have most of the videos from youtube and some from a different hosting service.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I don't know if metacafe might be a possibility. I joined it last week but had trouble uploading a video to it for some reason. I wonder if any one else here has used it. The good thing about it is you can upload a file up to 2 gb in size.