Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default National Front in Corsica

There was just some type of vote in Corsica where a member of the National Front won in the Southern section of Corsica which I guess was an upset and I guess this is great news for the people of Corsica who seek their independence from France. This video shows cars driving through the streets of Ajaccio, displaying the Corsican flag and beeping their horns.
This appears to be very big news in Corsica.

https://www.facebook.com/annie.susin...type=3&theater

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 06-19-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

It appears the Nationalist movement is alive and well in Corsica:

http://www.france24.com/en/20180206-...endence-france

While I am a strong supporter of preserving national borders and the culture of nations, I think the nationalist Corsicans should be careful of what they hope for. France is still one the world's largest economies, and Corsica would have trouble standing on their own two feet economically as an independent nation.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Murder of politicians and bombings. Corsica is the murder capital of Europe. The nationalists want convicts held in mainland prisons moved to Corsica. How much of this political unrest is driven by gangsters? One-third of jobs come from the French central government. That doesn't make independence sound like a good idea. Is the move for independence a push by the gangsters to win autonomy from law and order? Would independence mean government by the gangsters? What are the real issues driving the desire to bare outsiders from establishing homes on the island? That doesn't sound like a good economic move. The more insular a community is, the more open it is to criminal activity. None of this makes me feel comfortable about the political situation in Corsica. Greater recognition for the Corsican language, what does that mean? Putting legal documents in an esoteric language could make it easier for scam artists to do their thing. Raising children to speak a language isolated on one island doesn't sound like a good idea. French is a universal language bested only by English. If Corsicans want to teach their children their tribal language that's fine, but those kids should also be fluent in an international language especially considering the driving force of the island's economy is tourism.

Last edited by Shepherd; 02-08-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Murder of politicians and bombings. Corsica is the murder capital of Europe. The nationalists want convicts held in mainland prisons moved to Corsica. How much of this political unrest is driven by gangsters? One-third of jobs come from the French central government. That doesn't make independence sound like a good idea. Is the move for independence a push by the gangsters to win autonomy from law and order? Would independence mean government by the gangsters? What are the real issues driving the desire to bare outsiders from establishing homes on the island? That doesn't sound like a good economic move. The more insular a community is, the more open it is to criminal activity. None of this makes me feel comfortable about the political situation in Corsica. Greater recognition for the Corsican language, what does that mean? Putting legal documents in an esoteric language could make it easier for scam artists to do their thing. Raising children to speak a language isolated on one island doesn't sound like a good idea. French is a universal language bested only by English. If Corsicans want to teach their children their tribal language that's fine, but those kids should also be fluent in an international language especially considering the driving force of the island's economy is tourism.
Your points are well taken, and the questions are very good.

I don't believe for a second this nationalist movement is for the benefit of Corsicans, but rather for a small group that wants power. "Recognition of the Corsican language" is just bait to lure in supporters, in my opinion. I'm just getting old and cynical I guess - there always seems to be a power and money motive behind everything political.

Look at all the liberation movements that occurred south of our border in Central America for the last 40 years or so. The standing government is overthrown, and the people suffered for years afterward. Central America is still one of the most dangerous areas of the world. France brought advanced civilization along with law and order to Corsica, and I wouldn't think the majority want to return to banana republic status.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 AM

comjoz is on a distinguished road

In the newspapers in my country they reported on the Corsican desire to expand autonomy: "Corsican people want a special stance in the French Constitution and Corsican language in official use".
Old 02-09-2018, 06:09 AM

kulli is on a distinguished road

Remember Catalonia's drive for independence has plunged Spain into its biggest political crisis for 40 years.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29478415
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
Remember Catalonia's drive for independence has plunged Spain into its biggest political crisis for 40 years.
Catalonia wants complete independence. I don't think Corsica wants to be independent from France, but I could be wrong.

An interesting sentence in the BBC article is that thousands of businesses in Catalonia has cut back operations since the crisis. There lies the economic political risk of these nationalist movements causing turmoil - it's not good for business.

There has always been a group of secessionists in Texas that wants to split the state off into its own republic. Being a very conservative state, the group has been growing as Washington continues to impose legislation that many in Texas deem immoral. And recently even California, who is as far left as Texas is far right, has threatened the same. Both are economic powerhouses, but are the pieces greater than the whole? If either actually pull out of the union (which I don't beleive would ever happen), it would be a grave mistake.

I wonder what Alizee thinks of the nationalist movement in Corsica? I know she is a proud Corsican. but she loves Paris too.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Because of my visit to Corsica and being a FB friend (and hopefully in real life) of Blanche of Chez Paulo, I've been privy to many of the posts made by her and others in Corsica over the past few years and I do think they feel strongly about Nationalism.

I also think Alizee is strongly for it too. She is certainly Corsican first and I think being French, comes in a distant second. But I doubt she'd ever support violence to obtain independence.