Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
J'ai pas vingt ans

Jurre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Människöpesten View Post
we create an alizee version of the song "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH"
Funny, that's something I was thinking about this morning without even reading this topic or your post.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Artistic Grant to Alizée proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
They never questioned me and I listed the value of the cd's as bein 1,300 dollars but they never mentioned anything about taxes. I honestly think they do a lot of profiling and I don't think I fit the typical smuggler, tax evader profile.

As far as what I think the letter should say, this is more or less along the idea of what I was thinking.

Dear Alizée,
I'd like to apologize for not thinking to thank you for what you did for us at the Virgin Megastore last month when I was there. I was in such a state of disbelief, never thinking this dream come true would ever take place, even up to the last minutes, that I was so ill prepared for this event, that I never thought to do the obvious of thanking you. It meant a huge amount to me personally and to this forum. There are no words that can express how grateful we are. What you did for us with this private autograph session, the gold pens, is so classy and so typical of the beautiful young French woman we all know as Alizée, that just adds another reason, to so many others, why you wil be so endeared in our hearts as no other who has come before you..
Merci beaucoup,
Those are genteel sentiments, Scruffy, and no one here has done more heavy lifting than you to really promote Alizee. But the REST of us now ALSO have an opportunity to GET REAL at long last. Let me explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlalizee View Post
send her a big pile of euros.
This is a cute jest, but maybe less removed from serious reality than one might guess. (Don't worry, Karla, I won't sic the Clown Patrol on you. )

In my post <a href="http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showpost.php?p=152308&postcount=93"><i>Paying to keep the MAGIC alive: La Possibilité Du Siècle</i></a> I argue the need for serious artistic patronage, even of a famous artist like Alizée, and suggest that a foundation to which donations could be made would be a means of doing it in a dignified way. Among the things I wrote was:<blockquote><i>What does the... [donor]... expect in return? If a foundation existed, the answer would be clear: nothing but the knowledge that the donation helps the cause... That is not to say a €100 donation might not bring a signed thank-you note or a €1000 donation a short (e.g. 30 second) personalized thank-you video.

...If America was not full of crooks ...one might have aspired to accompany the recent Open Letter to her with a NONTRIVIAL check aggregated from signer donations. (N.B. I intend NO insult to our GENEROUS infrastructure providers!!!) And I suppose much less trust might have been needed simply to bundle a bunch of smaller individual checks payable to her directly, rather than AAm.</i></blockquote>I doubt Alizée or a delegate reads every post on every Alizée fan site - of which there are many, especially in Latin America. But were Alizée to have read what I wrote above, would she be naive to possibly dream of a stipend of say 50 x €100 + €1,000 = €6,000 as post-facto reciprocation for the <b>private</b> half-hour session she, Etienne, <i>et alia</i> granted us? (That pro-rates to €120 per CD recipient, for those bad in math.)

In the context of a hypothetical "Win lunch with Alizée her entourage" videoconference lottery, I had earlier <a href="http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149528&postcount=1">suggested </a> that perhaps €10,000 might be appropriate payment for two hours. This is just €2,500 for a half hour, rather less than the €6,000 computed above, or only €50 per CD recipient on a pro-rated basis.

And you can look at things another way. If Alizée America sends a trans-Atlantic "ambassador" (albeit in fact it was the generous donation of one Scruffydog), the expenses for this are easily €1,000 (in this case, partly a benefit for employment WORK). So would it be too strange for the Alizée entourage to aspire to receiving an honorarium of €1,000 as well? (That's €20 per CD recipient.)

Perhaps Lefty might say what gross margin Alizée and Institubes sees on the sale of a CD. I would not be surprised if it was less than a couple Euros. That means no more than a lousy €100 for the 50 elaborately personalized CDs provided via the half-hour session, stipulating the session was critical to closing these 50 sales in the first place.

So what sort of thank you do EACH of the CD recipients want to express to Alizée? The pawltry €2 thank-you of the sales margin? Or a €20, €50 or even €120 thank-you, as variously computed above?

If you think the whole idea of an Artistic Grant is silly or insulting, think again! That is basically something Institubes is <a href="http://institubes.myshopify.com/products/rob-dodecalogue-subscription-world">trying to secure</a> for their client artist Rob. Their proposal reads in part so:<blockquote><i>From June 2009 to June 2010, for twelve consecutive months, Rob will write, record and produce an unknown number of songs... Each month, a new record will be released... The whole thing is ambitious, highly elusive and perilous. What if nothing comes up? ...What if the label folds? More importantly, in the age of instant obsolescence, of dwindling life expectancy, what the hell do we think we’re doing? Should we trust you? ...As of today, I do not know if these recordings will ever be compiled...</i></blockquote>Even with all the uncertainties, they are soliciting your kind patronage in the personal amount of €300. If they aspire to get €300 from a SINGLE person, can't Alizée America's nearly 2,000 registered members - including 50 fortunate customized CD recipients - come up with an Artistic Grant to Alizée of AT LEAST €1,000? And €3,000 or even €6,000 would be much nicer. Yes, friends, it comes down to "Money talks, bullshit walks!" The question simply is this: Is Alizée America just a load of bullshit or not? I don't know how much Alizée or her staff watches what we do, but I'd be surprised if they were not curious about the answer to this simple question.

We have a chance to set a precedent for patronage. We may say we adore our Princesse Lointoine, but there no longer are any kings, at least not in republics like France, Mexico and the USA, so there will be no more royal patronage. Perhaps Proletariat Patronage is a bit too optimistic a dream, but why not some Bourgeoisie Beneficence? Is our spirit and our means so thoroughly broken that we cannot manage an Artistic Grant? Surely not every last member of Alizée America is a pauper.

We will soon have 50 happy autographed CD recipients, who paid Alizée America about €1000 for this merchandise, as anyone not wearing an aluminum-foil hat can verify from forum postings. If Ben and Scruffy have not yet PROVEN they can be trusted with our hard-earned money, I don't know what more they can do! We know they can get an Artistic Grant to Alizée - a check in her name sent US certified mail, return-receipt requested, to Institubes in Paris will do it. The ONLY question remaining is this - can the REST of us step up to the plate and pledge a total of at least €1000?

The Grant may do enormously more good than just the limited, if honorable, amount of money conveyed. It will establish a <b>precedent</b> for the palpable value of the generous no-strings GIFT of the half-hour private session and 50 personalized CDs. Perhaps Alizée and Institubes can do similar future sessions in Paris with others who want to sponsor what they are doing and understand their time is limited and precious.

Let me remind you about something I wrote <a href="http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showpost.php?p=156263&postcount=254">here</a>.
<blockquote><i>I have no idea what role a "fan club" like Alizée America might play in helping Alizée succeed in the US market. We should not feel hurt if the Alizée people thank us for the offer tendered in the Open Letter, say they will let us know, and then never contact us again. They have to budget their time and effort in the most productive way. They are not being rude or ungrateful. They must succeed.

But if we are asked to do something, it will be very important that we execute well, because any first task would be a TEST of our talent and sincerity. If we drop the ball, don't count on playing another game.</i></blockquote>Alizée and her associates may be far too proud to even suggest they be palpably rewarded for the wonderful private audience we enjoyed with them. But whether you like it or not, our reaction to their beneficence IS an <i>implicit</i> TEST, perhaps not very different from the one posited above. When you go to an elegant restaurant and your waiter does a truly extraordinary and unexpected job, do you simply tell him thanks? Or do you remember he has hopes and dreams of a better future, no less than do you?

We are all aware there is the Great Recession and not everyone is doing well. And even those who are doing well may be stretched trying to help family, friends, and community which is not. But if you are rich, perhaps you could replace a few meals at a fancy French restaurant with some at McDonald's. And if you are not rich, perhaps you can replace a few meals at McDonald's with some home-made sandwiches. It is not impossible that Alizée is worth more than any ONE of us here. But ALL of us put together are much wealthier than she is.

Ben has asked if I and a couple of others at AAm will work on promoting AAm and Alizée. I deem that license to take the following initiative. To learn if the Artistic Grant idea can work, I have created a poll I solicit you to answer <a href="http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5608">here</a>. The poll is anonymous, to spare participants potential embarrassment, so please do answer honestly! I especially hope ALL of the recipients of autographed CDs will take part. If Scruffy will share a complete list of recipients with me, I will PM each of them to read this posting and participate in the poll.

There is one final reason this idea has great potential. Have you ever heard of ANY fan club awarding an Artistic Grant to its respective artist? Neither have I! That's what makes it newsworthy! When Alizée accepts the award, we issue a press release to the major media outlets in the United States about it, which we hope causes someone to run a report on how thoughtful consumers are dealing with the threat to artistic production following from media piracy. Don't you think an important question raised in such a report would be: Why THIS artist, especially considering how hard it is to sell French music in the US? This could give Alizée some important exposure which lands her work in the US and helps her make important professional contacts.

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 04-22-2010 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: add PR fallout potential
Old 04-23-2010, 02:54 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default More translation help wanted...

Scruffy, if it helps, I tried to put your words into French. But I'm not the best expert - hopefully we can get Bigdan or Loïc (or almost anybody else) to go over this and iron it out a little more.

What's more, I changed the wording of one sentence (with apologies). Where you'd said "It meant a huge amount", I tried, but couldn't translate that directly, so now that sentence is more like: "By giving us your time, you gave a huge present to me and to this forum."

Hoping you can still use this.... - Chuck.

First, Here's Your Original Note, for the use of anyone else who can translate stuff and wants to help...
Dear Alizée,
I'd like to apologize for not thinking to thank you for what you did for us at the Virgin Megastore last month when I was there. I was in such a state of disbelief, never thinking this dream come true would ever take place, even up to the last minutes, that I was so ill prepared for this event, that I never thought to do the obvious of thanking you. It meant a huge amount to me personally and to this forum. There are no words that can express how grateful we are. What you did for us with this private autograph session, the gold pens, is so classy and so typical of the beautiful young French woman we all know as Alizée, that just adds another reason, to so many others, why you wil be so endeared in our hearts as no other who has come before you..
Merci beaucoup,

And here's what that would be in French, I'm pretty sure:
Cher Alizée,
Je voudrais m'excuser de ne pas penser à dire merci pour ça que vous avez fait pour nous au Virgin Megastore le mois dernier quand j'étais là. J'étais dans un tel état d'incrédulité, pensant que ce rêve matérialisée surviendrait jamais, même jusqu'aux dernières minutes, et j'étais si mal préparé pour cet événement, ainsi je n'ai jamais pensé à faire les évidents de vous remercier. En nous offrant votre temps, vous avez donné un énorme cadeau à moi et à ce forum. Il n'y a aucun mot qui peut exprimer à quel point nous sommes reconnaissant. Que vous avez employé les stylos d'or pour nous avec cette séance d'autographe privée, c'était si chic et si typiques de la belle jeune française qui nous tous connaissons. Cela ajoute juste une autre raison, à tant d'autres, pourquoi vous serez si aimée dans nos coeurs que personne d'autre qui est venue d'avant.
Merci beaucoup,
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Though my French skills are far from conversational, I must say that does look good, chuck. But yes, we probably should get a more natural French speaker to check it over. Just to be sure.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
And here's what that would be in French, I'm pretty sure:
Cher Alizée,
Je voudrais m'excuser de ne pas penser à dire merci pour ça que vous avez fait pour nous au Virgin Megastore le mois dernier quand j'étais là. J'étais dans un tel état d'incrédulité, pensant que ce rêve matérialisée surviendrait jamais, même jusqu'aux dernières minutes, et j'étais si mal préparé pour cet événement, ainsi je n'ai jamais pensé à faire les évidents de vous remercier. En nous offrant votre temps, vous avez donné un énorme cadeau à moi et à ce forum. Il n'y a aucun mot qui peut exprimer à quel point nous sommes reconnaissant. Que vous avez employé les stylos d'or pour nous avec cette séance d'autographe privée, c'était si chic et si typiques de la belle jeune française qui nous tous connaissons. Cela ajoute juste une autre raison, à tant d'autres, pourquoi vous serez si aimée dans nos coeurs que personne d'autre qui est venue d'avant.
Merci beaucoup,

Cher Alizée,
Je voudrais m'excuser de ne pas avoir pensé à dire merci pour ce que vous avez fait pour nous au Virgin Megastore le mois dernier quand j'étais là. J'étais dans un tel état d'incrédulité, pensant que ce rêve matérialisée ne surviendrait jamais, même jusqu'aux dernières minutes, et j'étais si mal préparé pour cet événement, que je n'ai même pas eu la présence d'esprit de vous remercier. En nous offrant votre temps, vous avez donné un énorme cadeau à moi et à ce forum. Il n'y a aucun mot qui peut exprimer à quel point nous sommes reconnaissant. Que vous ayez employé les stylos d'or pour nous avec cette séance d'autographe privée, c'était si chic et si typique de la belle jeune française que nous connaissons tous. Cela ajoute juste une autre raison, à tant d'autres, pourquoi vous serez toujours aimée dans nos coeurs comme personne ne le fut avant.
Merci beaucoup.

That's more correct now. But ,as I said before, genuine strange or funny turn of phrase could be very charming to her eyes... ( The last sentence is a typical US construction, and I can't translate it correctly without rewriting it completely.)

Last edited by Bigdan; 04-23-2010 at 07:07 AM..
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Talking Thanks, Bigdan!

To paraphrase from Scruffy's note:
"Vous avez donné un énorme cadeau à ce forum. Il n'y a aucun mot qui peut exprimer à quel point nous sommes reconnaissant!"

Or, more simply, thank you, Bigdan! We needed that. I was hoping you might come through! Very nicely done. (yes, that's the embarrassed face!)
Old 04-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
To paraphrase from Scruffy's note:
"Vous avez donné un énorme cadeau à ce forum. Il n'y a aucun mot qui peut exprimer à quel point nous sommes reconnaissant!"

Or, more simply, thank you, Bigdan! We needed that. I was hoping you might come through! Very nicely done. (yes, that's the embarrassed face!)
you' re welcome.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlalizee View Post
send her a big pile of euros.
Close Karla, but how about getting a Gift Certificate from one of her favorite
stores and including it with the letter. $10 per CD would work out to about 365€.
Some of us that could afford to add a little more could get the amount up to 500€.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I like the simple note of thanks. And Deep is probably right. Post it to her Facebook wall as a public "thank you". And please, lets get away from this notion of sending her money or gifts. Scruffy already gave her an appropriate gift.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
And please, lets get away from this notion of sending her money or gifts.
Absolutely agreed. It's neither wise nor appropriate, and has the potential to go all kinds of wrong. A simple thank you should suffice.