Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 AM

24Shepherd24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Fenway Park can’t be beat, in my opinion! It’s a terrific stadium in a wonderful town.

Edit:

“The Hunter” does not seem to be available on Netflix right now, but I think you can get it streaming on Amazon Prime. I see it available there to rent for $3.99 US.
The Hunter is free on YouTube.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Shepherd24 View Post
The Hunter is free on YouTube.
Thanks Shepherd

On the topic of this thread, if you went on the front page of reddit today you may have seen this:

The post title:
This magical little tarn only appears after extended rainfall and melting of snow. The last time it appeared before now was in 2018. The vibrant colour of the water is said to be caused by the sediments from the rocks below. Tasmania, Australia. 3815x5576 (OC)

This is something I hadn't seen before, supposedly quite a rare thing. That shade of blue though.....incredible

Whilst on the topic, In case you guys missed it because it kinda got buried amongst the conversation, I made a reply the other day showing some more pictures of the state if you're curious to have a look and perhaps didn't see it:
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...348#post270348

By the way, you can expect a cover of recent Instagram posts in the Social media thread within the next day, and I'll also be posting something about this forum in a few days that I hope you all find as interesting as I do, so keep an eye out.....

Stay safe everyone
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Anyway, at one point in the game a teacher on the opposition team was running out of our half with one of our flags, one of my teammates and I then both race towards him from either side to try and capture him before escaping, but he gets past us, and then...BAM.
I collide heads with this girl and it momentarily knocks me out. Some of my mates described the loud 'bonk' sound made on the collision, though of course I wasn't able to remember it as I'd had a concussion. The girl wasn't affected as bad, I think she spent the rest of the night a bit grumpy with a headache and minor symptoms, but I'd just lost it completely
I've been there. Not playing capture the flag, but football (American). The opposing team's running back lowered his helmet right before colliding with me at full speed. Caught me right on the crown of my head. Luckily we had helmets, but this was 40 years ago and the construction of them was not the same as today. I saw stars, similar to what you might see in a cartoon, then lost consciousness for a few moments and my teammates were standing around me asking if I was OK, then helped me up.

The safety aspect of the game has changed for the better. If that happened today, I would be taken out of the game immediately and undergo concussion testing. The running back would be penalized for "targeting" and thrown out the game. But that is now, and this was 40 years ago. So nothing happened. No penalties, and I just sucked it up and played the rest of the game. I am certain I sustained a concussion, and it sounds like you did too.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I've been there. Not playing capture the flag, but football (American). The opposing team's running back lowered his helmet right before colliding with me at full speed. Caught me right on the crown of my head. Luckily we had helmets, but this was 40 years ago and the construction of them was not the same as today. I saw stars, similar to what you might see in a cartoon, then lost consciousness for a few moments and my teammates were standing around me asking if I was OK, then helped me up.

The safety aspect of the game has changed for the better. If that happened today, I would be taken out of the game immediately and undergo concussion testing. The running back would be penalized for "targeting" and thrown out the game. But that is now, and this was 40 years ago. So nothing happened. No penalties, and I just sucked it up and played the rest of the game. I am certain I sustained a concussion, and it sounds like you did too.
Sounds rough, luckily safety has improved but from what I've heard concussions are still a problem, and former players who've grown old can be in big danger of developing things such as Dementia at an earlier age than others.
In Australia we also developed our own version of football, Aussie Rules Football, and it is a very physical game. I'll just call it AFL for now as that's the name of the main league, basically the same as how you may sometimes refer to your sport as 'NFL' though that's not technically its name.
Anyway, the sport has its own very unique rules I won't go over now, but in terms of the physical aspect of the game, well I'll just leave this video here if you're curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIQ7vLJYIA

Luckily this is a reel of the worst hits rather than exactly what happens every single game, it's in an incredibly physically demanding sport. The overall stamina of the players is unreal, you need to be really good with basically every aspect of athleticism; running, jumping, throwing, kicking, tackling, all parts of the game.
The sport if huge here, has been around for about 150 years, packs out the MCG (100,000 capacity) for the final every season, has the 5th highest average attendance of any sport league on the planet, you get the idea.

Grand Final last year

On the note of what I was saying about Port Arthur in the previous reply, here's a picture from that school camp with myself on the furthest on the right.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:43 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds rough, luckily safety has improved but from what I've heard concussions are still a problem, and former players who've grown old can be in big danger of developing things such as Dementia at an earlier age than others.
In Australia we also developed our own version of football, Aussie Rules Football, and it is a very physical game. I'll just call it AFL for now as that's the name of the main league, basically the same as how you may sometimes refer to your sport as 'NFL' though that's not technically its name.
Anyway, the sport has its own very unique rules I won't go over now, but in terms of the physical aspect of the game, well I'll just leave this video here if you're curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIQ7vLJYIA

Luckily this is a reel of the worst hits rather than exactly what happens every single game, it's in an incredibly physically demanding sport. The overall stamina of the players is unreal, you need to be really good with basically every aspect of athleticism; running, jumping, throwing, kicking, tackling, all parts of the game.
The sport if huge here, has been around for about 150 years, packs out the MCG (100,000 capacity) for the final every season, has the 5th highest average attendance of any sport league on the planet, you get the idea.

Grand Final last year

On the note of what I was saying about Port Arthur in the previous reply, here's a picture from that school camp with myself on the furthest on the right.
Did you ever attend a cricket match at MCG?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Did you ever attend a cricket match at MCG?
No, not yet. I was lucky enough to do the stadium tour just last year I believe, which was a great experience, but going to an actual game of any sport really is still on the bucket list.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
No, not yet. I was lucky enough to do the stadium tour just last year I believe, which was a great experience, but going to an actual game of any sport really is still on the bucket list.
I watched India v Australia ODI match in Hyderabad last year. But Hyderabad has got one ugly stadium.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
I watched India v Australia ODI match in Hyderabad last year. But Hyderabad has got one ugly stadium.
Yeah not the greatest looking ground.
Though I will say fans on the subcontinent generally create much more lively atmospheres at games, the culture we have in Australia surrounding the spectating of cricket is much more relaxed, which brings its own charm, but sometimes I think I'd prefer the noise and ruckus.

What about that new Sardar Patel stadium? I believe it's overtaken the MCG as the largest cricket stadium in the world. Looking at pictures and videos of it, the structure is massive, though maybe the size of the ground itself makes it look a bit bigger, still a huge stadium regardless. I think I heard of some controversy behind it's construction, could be remembering that wrong.
Have you been to visit the ground?

Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah not the greatest looking ground.
Though I will say fans on the subcontinent generally create much more lively atmospheres at games, the culture we have in Australia surrounding the spectating of cricket is much more relaxed, which brings its own charm, but sometimes I think I'd prefer the noise and ruckus.

What about that new Sardar Patel stadium? I believe it's overtaken the MCG as the largest cricket stadium in the world. Looking at pictures and videos of it, the structure is massive, though maybe the size of the ground itself makes it look a bit bigger, still a huge stadium regardless. I think I heard of some controversy behind it's construction, could be remembering that wrong.
Have you been to visit the ground?

I have never been to Ahmedabad. I go to stadium to watch IPL every year. I have seen lot of matches (IPL, World T20 2016, one test match) at Eden Gardens, Kolkata, amazing experience during my 4 years (2012-2016) stay there. I went to Bangalore and watched one IPL match there. IPL matches and Ind-Aus ODI match at Hyderabad where I have been living since 2016. Few domestic FC matches at Ranchi (my hometown) and one Champions trophy 2017 match at Edgbaston England, where I went as journalist. I am not a jurnoulist, but got invitation for that match.

MCG is one the places I want to watch cricket match. Stadium at Ranchi looks beautiful.

Dharmsala, Lords are other ones where I have to go sometime.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had completely missed your post here. It was the day I left on vacation for a week.

I am familiar with AFL, but not enough to know the rules of the game. I have seen some video highlights like the one you posted out of curiosity. My first impression was that you must be ready, willing and able to sacrifice your body for that ball! No protective gear. Just like people who watch NASCAR races for the possibility of an impressive car crash, the crowd watching the AFL matches are waiting for the next crash of bodies.

One thing that is obvious of the players is that unlike American football players, it looks advantageous to be quick and lean with the ability to jump well.