Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
I only liked the mime one and the willem defoe one.

I mean that Gerard Depardieu one... what the hell was the point of that? And Nick Nolte? what's the meaning of that story?
It's open to interpretation ain't it? If you got nothing from it, that's just it I guess. I'm not too good with the artsy stuff. I only know what I like.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 AM

What did you guys think of Russian Dolls? I haven't seen it yet, mainly because I'm having a hard time finding a subbed copy online, but is it as good as the first one?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

My biggest issue with film is I can't say whether or not a film is "good" or "bad".

When I say "good" or "bad", I'm referring to how much I enjoyed/understood the movie.

If you're looking into Russian Dolls, I presume you've already seen L'auberge espagnole.

Did you enjoy that one? Did you like the clash of different personalities and culture? did you *insert some wordy crap making me sound like a credible film buff*?

I personally, I loved both films (I believe there's even a third in the process).

Take from that what you will.

If you liked the first one, you'll like the second. If you didn't like the first one, don't bother.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
did you *insert some wordy crap making me sound like a credible film buff*?
Well, actually I *insert verbose opinion that uses obscure terminology and film jargon*
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
My biggest issue with film is I can't say whether or not a film is "good" or "bad".

When I say "good" or "bad", I'm referring to how much I enjoyed/understood the movie.

If you're looking into Russian Dolls, I presume you've already seen L'auberge espagnole.

Did you enjoy that one? Did you like the clash of different personalities and culture? did you *insert some wordy crap making me sound like a credible film buff*?

I personally, I loved both films (I believe there's even a third in the process).

Take from that what you will.

If you liked the first one, you'll like the second. If you didn't like the first one, don't bother.
Well okay then, that's what I wanted to know. I mean, I did see l'auberge, and I really enjoyed it, so I guess Russians Dolls should be pretty good too then. Is it the same cast?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 PM

Just to get in the mood of things, anyone know any good French horror movies?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 PM

LE_LOUP_DES_STEPPES is on a distinguished road

Check out Martyrs!!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Red face French horror? Try "M. Hulot's Holiday"!

Wasabeeeeeee! Hey, hi!

French horror movies? Wow that "Martyrs" sounds pretty scary, I never seen it though.

How bout "The City Of Lost Children!" ("La cité des enfants perdus") - oooh, it's creepy, but really cool. From Jeunet and Caro. Same two guys that did "Delicatessen", then one of 'em (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) also directed "Amélie", "A Very Long Engagement", and the soon-to-be-released-on-US-dvd "Micmacs".

Elsewise, yeah, as some have mentioned, check out the movies of Luc Besson - they're so entertaining that you'll forget that you're not listening to English. "The Professional", "Nikita", "District B-13", and of course "Wasabi" - how could you go wrong? (He also wrote the "Transporter" movies, "The Fifth Element", "From Paris With Love", and more... but those aren't in French.) (Okay, he did the "Arthur And The Invisibles" movies, too. So, yeah, he may not be infallible)

Okay, I gotta go! But thanks for the great story about learning English by watching "The Lion King". Wondermous!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Well okay then, that's what I wanted to know. I mean, I did see l'auberge, and I really enjoyed it, so I guess Russians Dolls should be pretty good too then. Is it the same cast?
Yep and yep.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Wasabeeeeeee! Hey, hi!

French horror movies? Wow that "Martyrs" sounds pretty scary, I never seen it though.

How bout "The City Of Lost Children!" ("La cité des enfants perdus") - oooh, it's creepy, but really cool. From Jeunet and Caro. Same two guys that did "Delicatessen", then one of 'em (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) also directed "Amélie", "A Very Long Engagement", and the soon-to-be-released-on-US-dvd "Micmacs".

Elsewise, yeah, as some have mentioned, check out the movies of Luc Besson - they're so entertaining that you'll forget that you're not listening to English. "The Professional", "Nikita", "District B-13", and of course "Wasabi" - how could you go wrong? (He also wrote the "Transporter" movies, "The Fifth Element", "From Paris With Love", and more... but those aren't in French.) (Okay, he did the "Arthur And The Invisibles" movies, too. So, yeah, he may not be infallible)

Okay, I gotta go! But thanks for the great story about learning English by watching "The Lion King". Wondermous!

You're backkkkkkkkkk!!! Nice to hear from ya!

With Halloween coming up, I shall most definitely be checking out all them movies. I'm hoping that they will be better than the crap the Hollywood produces.