Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM

tbailey is on a distinguished road
Cool Alizee In America? But How?

Alizee in America?

Upshot: Alizee can probably do whatever she wishes to do if she is really committed and really motivated. She definitely has the looks and talent to make it big here.

It may be said that there are too many obstacles but all in all i think Alizee has a very complete package: talent, singing, looks, maturity, money, connections, and perhaps even a niche in the U.S. market.

Last edited by tbailey; 03-31-2008 at 02:41 AM..
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

I agree with about everything you said, except I think she could have been big, but I don't think she can now...basically because she is more mature than the society of music in America. She already had her stage of being the hottest thing on the planet, and the road she is taking now just isn't what mainstream America wants. I respect her much more now, but thats not the name of the game.

However, I think her coming to America hinges on one person - Madonna. If Alizee was to produce a few more english songs and then personally contact Madonna, then maybe something could happen.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
2. Time and work: this will basically consume her life and considering she has a child and husband i don't know that she can balance the two.

3. Effort: why should Alizee invest so much time and effort into a venture (that may fail) if she's already a millioner and lives in one of the most beautiful countries in the world?
Those are both correct and, along with some other factors, combine into one killer reason against: Desire. She doesn't want to do it. And we know she does what she wants. Even if she were somehow convinced to try, it would be doomed to fail if her heart wasn't in it.

Last edited by Ben; 01-08-2008 at 04:44 AM..
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 AM

knight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
These are both correct and, along with other some factors, combine into one killer reason against: Desire. She doesn't want to do it. And we know she does what she wants. Even if she were somehow convinced to try, it would be doomed to fail if her heart wasn't in it.
Heart is a strange organ.
Yes but for the moment it seems she don't want any more success. That desire has some how vanished.
I am not an American (still I am on this forum) so I won't gain anything even if Alizee visits America. The only thing is she is missing on one big market.
English factor is a big hindrance.
We will see for how long her heart doesn't tempt her to be in America. Remember she is still only 23.
yups I'm twenty.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 AM

clique is on a distinguished road

If Alizée actually wanted to be big in the US (I don't think she wants to) there's one big reason it will never happen: her singing in a language that's not English. Can anyone tell me of any artist that made it big in the US not singing in English? It can't be many.

Besides, I think you made a good point with your post. It would take a lot of effort if she wants to succeed, and she already lives a good life in France, so why bother?

(BTW, I think you're giving her a bit too much credit for her English skills. )
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

While you are describing a good way to gain acceptance in america, why would a person, having become famous on a world-wide basis, except for in america, want to start again from scratch just because it is america?

She has the money and is secure in her feelings about what she does. She is ahead of the game but for america, which in the long run is not all that great to begin with from an entertainment standpoint. There is too much corruption, devious business practices, atrocious popourotzi practices, etc. going on here.

I believe Alizée is smart to continue to do what she is doing until and only when and if she desires to do so, come to america on her own terms.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
=ω=

Konata is on a distinguished road

While it is nice to have the idea of Alizée in America, I'm afraid that just isn't really necessary in reality, or rather possible (As the posters above mine have already pointed out the facts). Even if she did came, most ignorant people would basically just say: "If you don't speak english, then GTFO." Harsh it may be, but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

Although as a fan, it would be nice to see her here, but my mind is leaning more towards the safe side of "Don't bother coming to America."

There are just too much issues going on in America, as C-4 mentioned already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey
I always wondered why Alizee isn't big here - and i think she can be.
She is, just in our heart. I believe that is more than enough, than to have her coming to this craptastic society in America, tbh.

Last edited by Konata; 01-08-2008 at 07:39 AM..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I don't expect Alizée to come to the USA. There may be opportunities here for her but I don't think she is interested.

Could she if she wanted to? It all depends on what goals she would have. To be a big hit could take a lot of time, work, risk and/or a lot of luck. Just some TV exposure to try to sell a few CDs, maybe not as hard.

As Rocket pointed out in a post in another thread, there have been foreign language hits in the US in the past. It is not unprecedented.

Quote:
Rocket: There have been several artists that made it to #1 that came from a forgien country. In the 50's there was a song from Japan, and in the 60's there were two french nuns who hit #1. And in the 80's there was a group called Nena who had a #1 hit called 99 Luftballoons.

Here are some that I know of or have discovered:

Nel Blu Di Pinto di Blu was written by Domenico Modugno and Franco Migliacci. Modugno took the song to #1 in 1958.

Sukiyaki was written by Rokusuke Ei and Hachidai Nakamura and released by Kyu Sakamoto. It climbed to the top of the US charts in 1963.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtXQ31F1A-k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtXQ31F1A-k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Recorded in 1962, "El watusi" became a hit and helped start a dance craze.

The Singing Nun became famous in 1964 for her #1 hit song “Dominique.”

"Eres Tú" was a hit for Mocedades in 1974.

Feliz Navidad, bilingual hit by José Feliciano.

The Spanish dance of this name (it was recorded in various mixtures of English and Spanish) was all the rage in 1996.

Oye como va, a 1971 Santana hit by Tito Puente.

Guantanamera, The Sandpipers.

It's not impossible to sell foreign language music in the US. It's been done many times before. And none of these performers were as beautiful as Alizée...
Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM

clique is on a distinguished road

It might not be impossible, but it's not really everyday non-English artists make it big in the US (the fact that you listed 9 songs for the last 40 years is pretty telling). And if Moi Lolita didn't as much as made a dent in America, what makes us think that Psychedelices will?

Edit: BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of those songs/artists one hit wonders? There's a difference between having one chart topping song and actually establishing yourself as an artist.

Last edited by clique; 01-08-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Rocket said SNL would be cool, I agreed. I also said Regis and Kelly would be cool.

All you need is 1 Truck.