Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I have been curious for a long time what genre(s) of music are the favorites of Alizee? What are her favorite songs?

What does she listen to in her car or mp3 player?

Did she even like the music written for her by MF/LB?

In a 2007 or 2008 interview she expressed that she liked the music of The Killers and No Doubt (because of Gwen Stefani), which are alt rock.

Then in 2016 in her photo shoot by Petra, she wears an Aerosmith t-shirt:

It's great for me to think that Alizee is a rocker at heart
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM

kulli is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere ( older interview) she likes Johnny Hallyday, Mylene Farmer, Lara Fabian, Madonna.. She does not like hip-hop music (excepting the French hip-hop)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post

Then in 2016 in her photo shoot by Petra, she wears an Aerosmith t-shirt:
She also has got a Guns N' Roses t-shirt
Old 10-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
I read somewhere ( older interview) she likes Johnny Hallyday, Mylene Farmer, Lara Fabian, Madonna.. She does not like hip-hop music (excepting the French hip-hop)
I remember looking at a chart of the best selling musical artists of all time. There was some lower threshold in millions of copies to get on the list, like 50 or 75 million. Johnny Hallyday was the only artist from France to make the list. He's probably treated as a national treasure.

I remember Alizee saying Madonna. I think Jo liked her too. I don't know who Lara Fabian is.

Did she say Mylene Farmer because she was supposed to say that (or expected to), or does she actually listen to Mylene? I know we don't know the answer but just speculating.

Alizee is married to somebody who is (or used to be) one of the top hip-hop dancers, so I'm sure she has learned to tolerate it. What is the difference between French hip hop and the rest? Alizee once said that anything can be sexy, except vulgarity. Hip hop is normally full of vulgarity so maybe that is part of the reason she doesn't like it.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
She also has got a Guns N' Roses t-shirt
Maybe she just likes the name, but it's fun to think of her cranking up "Welcome to the Jungle" in her car.

Aerosmith was a surprise though. I was listening to Aerosmith as a teenager ten years before Alizee was born!

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-22-2019 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevercowboy View Post
i was listening to aerosmith as a teenager ten years before alizee was born!
. .
Old 10-23-2019, 02:26 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alizee is married to somebody who is (or used to be) one of the top hip-hop dancers, so I'm sure she has learned to tolerate it. What is the difference between French hip hop and the rest? Alizee once said that anything can be sexy, except vulgarity. Hip hop is normally full of vulgarity so maybe that is part of the reason she doesn't like it.

Edit:

Maybe she just likes the name, but it's fun to think of her cranking up "Welcome to the Jungle" in her car.
Cause Guns N Roses/Axl Rose have never been vulgar in any regard whatsoever

Maybe you're just not ready for it?

All jokes aside, the best music is always considered "vulgar" before it's considered cool. Back in the day, Elvis wasn't allowed to be filmed below the waist on TV. Around that time, as much as people disliked The Beatles, The Rolling Stones made them look like saints. Now all three are considered legends and wholly preferable to somebody like Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
On for her opinion on hip-hop, there are a few interview clips for MTV where she picks out her favorite videos to play, some of which include 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, and Kanye West.

http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x470sk

^ Her pronunciation of "Snoop et Pharrell - Drop It... Like It's... (H)ot"

Bonus - The interview's relevant thread: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3327

^ Alizée explains how she is discovering hip-hop and 50 Cent's song 'Ayo Technology' with Justin Timberlake.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
Cause Guns N Roses/Axl Rose have never been vulgar in any regard whatsoever

Maybe you're just not ready for it?

All jokes aside, the best music is always considered "vulgar" before it's considered cool. Back in the day, Elvis wasn't allowed to be filmed below the waist on TV. Around that time, as much as people disliked The Beatles, The Rolling Stones made them look like saints. Now all three are considered legends and wholly preferable to somebody like Post Malone.
Axl Rose is no saint, but his vulgarity is an exception and not the rule. I couldn't post an average rapper's lyrics on this site without having to give myself a warning and delete the post.

What a person listens to and watch they watch, eventually they will emulate. We have a generation (or two) that have trouble constructing a proper English sentence or spell correctly. My niece and her boyfriend have no filter when it comes to their speech and the profanity used in their house. They have three children, the oldest being seven. He has been dropping f-bombs since he was four. This will never be cool in my book, but maybe I am just being "old-fashioned".

Quote:
On for her opinion on hip-hop, there are a few interview clips for MTV where she picks out her favorite videos to play, some of which include 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, and Kanye West.

^ Alizée explains how she is discovering hip-hop and 50 Cent's song 'Ayo Technology' with Justin Timberlake.
I am not trashing every song by every rapper because there is some good stuff out there. Eminem's "When I'm Gone" is a great song and video with a strong message. I like a few songs here and there, mainly those written by Timbaland. In fact, he wrote Ayo Technology. But as a whole, hip hop is repetitive and boring. It's probably pretty close to running it's course and fading into the sunset.

Edit:

Quote:
^ Her pronunciation of "Snoop et Pharrell - Drop It... Like It's... (H)ot"
Alizee cannot help being cute. I love it when she speaks English. She seems to have problems enunciating "H" when it is the first letter of a word.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-23-2019 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Axl Rose is no saint, but his vulgarity is an exception and not the rule. I couldn't post an average rapper's lyrics on this site without having to give myself a warning and delete the post.
I disagree that it's an exception and not the rule. Part of the appeal of both rock & roll and hip-hop is to shake things up, to rebel with and without a cause. This naturally leads some to interpret it as vulgar, but it is appreciated down the line. I mentioned an average rapper, Post Malone. I don't listen to him a lot, but there are a few of his songs that I have found enjoyable. One of his most recent hits is called Better Now, which is about looking back at an old flame and how pride got in the way of the relationship, and continues to do so because both lovers claim to be "better now" despite that not being the case. It's a common enough sentiment and situation, and if you find profanity offensive, there's only one expletive in the song, alluding to frustration. Thanks to the internet, somebody made a funny and actually pretty good 80's remake of the song:

Quote:
What a person listens to and watch they watch, eventually they will emulate. We have a generation (or two) that have trouble constructing a proper English sentence or spell correctly. My niece and her boyfriend have no filter when it comes to their speech and the profanity used in their house. They have three children, the oldest being seven. He has been dropping f-bombs since he was four. This will never be cool in my book, but maybe I am just being "old-fashioned".
I find that a lot of that is due to kids disconnecting from education and learning environments and focusing instead on the problems in their communities and across the globe. As a substitute teacher I've talked to a lot of students with difficult situations at home; while a good education may well be their ticket out of that, their everyday reality simply takes up too much of their young lives. It's unfortunate that the youngster has picked up profanity that early. I myself believe that there's a time and a place for it. However that is not so much hip-hop's fault as it is the parenting.

Quote:
I am not trashing every song by every rapper because there is some good stuff out there. Eminem's "When I'm Gone" is a great song and video with a strong message. I like a few songs here and there, mainly those written by Timbaland. In fact, he wrote Ayo Technology. But as a whole, hip hop is repetitive and boring. It's probably pretty close to running it's course and fading into the sunset.
Although I'm not a big fan of some of the more recent trends and subgenres of hip-hop, I really doubt that will be the case, but I guess we'll see in the next 10-15 years

Quote:
Alizee cannot help being cute. I love it when she speaks English. She seems to have problems enunciating "H" when it is the first letter of a word.
I'm pretty sure that comes from the French language, where the H is silent in such cases. Think for example of homme, or haute couture
Old 10-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I disagree that it's an exception and not the rule. Part of the appeal of both rock & roll and hip-hop is to shake things up, to rebel with and without a cause. This naturally leads some to interpret it as vulgar, but it is appreciated down the line.
And yet we have code of conduct on AAm regarding vulgarity. It may not be written down somewhere, but it is implied. If the f-bomb and everything else you might hear in popular songs is just our culture, why not just have a free for all on this forum and allow everything? The rules against it is not to protect a member or lurker who might be under 18, because they probably know way more choice words than I do.

Quote:
I find that a lot of that is due to kids disconnecting from education and learning environments and focusing instead on the problems in their communities and across the globe. As a substitute teacher I've talked to a lot of students with difficult situations at home; while a good education may well be their ticket out of that, their everyday reality simply takes up too much of their young lives. It's unfortunate that the youngster has picked up profanity that early. I myself believe that there's a time and a place for it. However that is not so much hip-hop's fault as it is the parenting.
My older son is a teacher at a charter school in Austin. Inner city kids, 10-11. It's like a zoo and he wants out. Lots of problem kids and he nor the principal or anybody else can administer any kind of discipline for bad behavior. No detention or suspension or sticking them in a corner or anything else that seemed to work pretty good in times past. Nobody wanted to get sent to the principal's office because he had a paddle on the wall and will call your parents after he is done, then you get a paddling from your father for good measure.

Kids should be focused on being a kid, but they are focused on growing up too fast. And now they are being told the earth will end in 10 years when it's not. I feel sorry for them.

Parents have their hands tied as well. A bad kid doesn't mean bad parenting. I've seen great kids with lousy parents, bad kids with good parents, and a combination of the above. There is a genetic component. My niece is nothing like her two other siblings who are the exact opposite.

Quote:
Although I'm not a big fan of some of the more recent trends and subgenres of hip-hop, I really doubt that will be the case, but I guess we'll see in the next 10-15 years
It will be slow, but it will come.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:12 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Johnny Hallyday was the only artist from France to make the list. He's probably treated as a national treasure.

I don't know who Lara Fabian is.
Alizee was probably a fan of Johnny Hallyday before she met him, but when she met him, he charmed the socks off her.

You should know Lara Fabian. She's fabulous.

Lara Fabian and Johnny Hallyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdq4kIpN6C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rUn610MxAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRjKFI5wpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvlmpo5g9k