Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Seapaddler is on a distinguished road
Default A word of caution to the sharing.

Seapaddler steps onto the soapbox
As I browse around the net collecting videos, trying at least (oxyshare you suck) and then reading the post about her entire En Concert DVD uploaded to google video I got to thinking and got a bit concerned....

If it wasn't for people in France recording her television appearances and uploading them onto websites I would have never heard of her so I'm grateful for that, however other people uploading her commercial products like the DVD and mp3's will only damage her sales no matter the quality of the upload.

We are so used to sharing her content as it is due to the absence of new material that I can imagine people will automatically start sharing her new stuff when it comes out. I hope not. Only 300,000 sold in France for MCE may or may not be the main reason the MF and LB team moved on but if it is, uploading her commercial stuff new or old will certainly hurt her future.

If you think about it the ipod popularity really took off and was booming when her second album came out. The first ipod was late 2001 and MCE was released early 2003, by then probably a lot of people shared the singles with their friends and subsequently shared the album. This could happen to her 3rd album. Of course it’s impossible to know for sure if mp3’s hurt her sales it’s only speculation on my part.

When her next single/album does reach the World for her sake we should all adopt a zero tolerance for pirating her music or bought content. Never upload or share her purchased music to anyone even your best buddy. Tell people to pay for it and support her. Her commercial success in 2007 could make or break her career. If you want to enjoy her music in the future don't pirate her stuff in the present.

Seapaddler steps down from the soapbox
Addendum:

RMJ puts it succinctly, CD sales are stats and the all important indicators to a record company regarding how they proceed with the artist in the near future or distant future, it's common sense business. Whether you think she gets 1% or 50% in profit isn't the support I'm referring to. Sales numbers imply a fan base and without the numbers, the corporate suits assume there isn't a fan base to backup their investment.

All I wanted to say is the community as a whole is in a Download and Share mentality at the moment, I wanted to point out we need to make sure we snap out of it when she comes back and get into a buying mode and extend that mindset to the people we introduce her to.

Last edited by Seapaddler; 12-08-2006 at 05:28 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

You know she (and most other artists signed by big record companies) only gets about a dollar (USD) per album sold, right?

If you want to support her, goto her next concert, where she will get a good chunk of the money off the ticket..

I personally believe you should buy the album because you want the physical CD, all the inserts, and the higher quality music.. If you are buying the CD to support the artist you are wasting your time...

Of the ~500 people who will probably read your post, it might persuade one or two people to buy her CD, if that.. Congrats, Alizée just got $2 more dollars.. As if she needed it anyway..

Buy the new CD because you want it, not because it's going to make any difference in her career
Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Seapaddler is on a distinguished road

Good points, but lack of CD sales relates to whether there is a Tour or not. It's all relative.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 PM
You actually read these?

True, but it's ultimatley up to the media wether or not there are a lot of CD sales or not.. According to them, whatever they play is what we like..
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Iron and Silk

atra201 is on a distinguished road

i agree with mr hibby
and just share with us.
sorry Alizee but this is the only way i can see you since you're not answering my calls.

"Such a shame to believe in escape
A life on every face
And that's a change, till I'm finally left with an eight
Tell me to react, I just stare
Maybe I don't know if I should change
A feeling that we share...
It's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me with rage, it's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me in haste, it's a shame
This eagerness to change
It's a shame..."
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapaddler View Post
Seapaddler steps onto the soapbox
As I browse around the net collecting videos, trying at least (oxyshare you suck) and then reading the post about her entire En Concert DVD uploaded to google video I got to thinking and got a bit concerned....

If it wasn't for people in France recording her television appearances and uploading them onto websites I would have never heard of her so I'm grateful for that, however other people uploading her commercial products like the DVD and mp3's will only damage her sales no matter the quality of the upload.

We are so used to sharing her content as it is due to the absence of new material that I can imagine people will automatically start sharing her new stuff when it comes out. I hope not. Only 300,000 sold in France for MCE may or may not be the main reason the MF and LB team moved on but if it is, uploading her commercial stuff new or old will certainly hurt her future.

If you think about it the ipod popularity really took off and was booming when her second album came out. The first ipod was late 2001 and MCE was released early 2003, by then probably a lot of people shared the singles with their friends and subsequently shared the album. This could happen to her 3rd album. Of course it’s impossible to know for sure if mp3’s hurt her sales it’s only speculation on my part.

When her next single/album does reach the World for her sake we should all adopt a zero tolerance for pirating her music or bought content. Never upload or share her purchased music to anyone even your best buddy. Tell people to pay for it and support her. Her commercial success in 2007 could make or break her career. If you want to enjoy her music in the future don't pirate her stuff in the present.

Seapaddler steps down from the soapbox
I totally agree with this.
Even if I was given the chance to copy Alizée's work, I would not do it simply because I want Alizée to succeed and continue in her chosen work and please her fans.

The only exception to this that I can think of is if a given piece of work of Alizée's was no longer available anywhere and I wanted it, such as a discontinued song, etc.

As far as attending one of her concerts and buying stuff while at it, since I am not within a reasonable distance of her possible concert venues, I would still hope that Alizée might have a web site up to purchase goodies from where the sales will go to her and not the record company.

AND, as far as how much Alizée would receive for her CD sales, since some of the songs were written by Jeremy and hopefully, Alizée, they would get a percentage of the publishing royalites and record sales. Every little bit counts, no matter how small an individual figure it may be. Think about every dollar from world-wide sales of her CD and that could mean a lot of money. We should never just think that it is ONLY a dollar here, or a dollar there. It all counts, and Alizée deserves to get it all.
Stephen

Last edited by C-4; 12-08-2006 at 12:48 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atra201 View Post
i agree with mr hibby
and just share with us.
sorry Alizee but this is the only way i can see you since you're not answering my calls.
I'm not suggesting you go share Alizée's music...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibyPrime View Post
You know she (and most other artists signed by big record companies) only gets about a dollar (USD) per album sold, right?
Who the fuck cares how much she gets from them as long as she gets even one cent ?

It's not just about money (except to record companies), try to understand that. Every CD that has been sold will show up in stats. And those stats means helluva lotta to record companies. And if they ain't happy it's end of Alizée. If you ask me those companies go can fuck themselves but that's how it just is. We can't live without them.

Quote:
If you want to support her, goto her next concert, where she will get a good chunk of the money off the ticket..
True but there won't be the concert with your methods.

Quote:
I personally believe you should buy the album because you want the physical CD, all the inserts, and the higher quality music.. If you are buying the CD to support the artist you are wasting your time...
Yeah, I waste my time everyday when paying for my food, too. Hell why not leave the restaurant after the food. Much faster and cheaper. Who the fuck cares if the chef loses it's job because I don't pay my meals. As long as I have tummy full of good food...

Quote:
Of the ~500 people who will probably read your post, it might persuade one or two people to buy her CD, if that.. Congrats, Alizée just got $2 more dollars.. As if she needed it anyway..
And if you those 500 people would pay for the music it would be helluva lotta money and much more sales. And you don't even buy the whole album if you don't want to, you can get single tracks nowadays.

Quote:
Buy the new CD because you want it, not because it's going to make any difference in her career
No, buy the album if you are going to listen to it. If you are not going to listen to it ever, then don't buy it (unless you want to have it for some other reason). Easy as that.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

ok RMJ, on what side of whos bed did you wake up on? you should keep your pissy mood to yourself, and not on this forum
Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Who the fuck cares how much she gets from them as long as she gets even one cent ?

It's not just about money (except to record companies), try to understand that. Every CD that has been sold will show up in stats. And those stats means helluva lotta to record companies. And if they ain't happy it's end of Alizée. If you ask me those companies go can fuck themselves but that's how it just is. We can't live without them.

True but there won't be the concert with your methods.
I'm not going to respond to all of this (because you seem to be in a bad mood), but I will respond to the above statement:

I'm not suggesting you don't buy her CDs, I'm saying don't buy them thinking that you are making a difference in her career, that isn't what music is about and that should not be a driving factor to you spending $25+ (shipping from europe) on a CD.

Quote:
Yeah, I waste my time everyday when paying for my food, too. Hell why not leave the restaurant after the food. Much faster and cheaper. Who the fuck cares if the chef loses it's job because I don't pay my meals. As long as I have tummy full of good food...

And if you those 500 people would pay for the music it would be helluva lotta money and much more sales. And you don't even buy the whole album if you don't want to, you can get single tracks nowadays.

No, buy the album if you are going to listen to it. If you are not going to listen to it ever, then don't buy it (unless you want to have it for some other reason). Easy as that.
Merry christmas to you as well!

Last edited by HibyPrime; 12-08-2006 at 04:00 PM..