Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
Of course, they would have chosen the second option. But you're comparing Alizée with herself. This is not correct because she were competing with other, more pushy artists, including foreign ones. Furthermore, I'm sure there were other shows, unrelated to music, e.g. fashion shows, sporting events etc. What could Alizée offer to the potential spectators? Outfits that are not unusual to Paris, the fashion capital of the world? Dances that they have already seen on TV? Moreover, I consider DALS with its old-fashioned dances more harmful than useful to Alizée's image. The main thing that distinguishes musical tours from other shows is the music in itself, as corny as that sounds, and this is where the problem was. There were no singles like "Moi... Lolita" from the last album and those who had already bought the album and listened to it, I'm sure had said to their friends neither to do the same nor to attend any concerts related to the album.

Now imagine what it would be if Alizée was lucky enough to find more conscientious and talented composers than Pascal Obispo and Laurent Konrad. Even with that failed 'blonde' image, if she had sang something like the following songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGU_4-5RaxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKVS0eI85I

she would not only had a successful album and the Blonde tour but also a triumphant return to the stage.
How can you not compare Alizee with herself? There was the successful Alizee of the MF/LB era and there was the unsuccessful Alizee of the post MF/LB era. To even think of competing with all these great international singers, she needed to figure out what she was doing wrong. Why was the MF Alizee so successful and her first three albums, post MF, failures, at least at theatres in France? They needed to do the groundwork for an album, but instead, Blonde was built on a Friday.

As far as Dals being harmful to her image. At that point when Dals came along, she was a forgotten star. I think those who still knew of her, didn't take her seriously. She needed Dals

As I said, there are two Alizees, the successful one and the unsuccessful one. The successful Alizee was successful because of MF/LB.

Then there is the unsuccessful Alizee. Why was she unsuccessful? Well, it's not necessarily because of a lack of MF/LB. It was a lack of good direction, good production, good promotion. Of course, those were something that MF/LB had an abundance of. Her music post MF, had potential, but it was handled all wrong.

Her biggest obstacle, her biggest enemy was herself. She needed to have someone managing her career, who knew what they were doing and she didn't. She couldn't figure that out, even after 3 failures. If she could get past herself, then, maybe she could compete with the bigboys.

Getting back to Dals;

As far as the songs that she danced to in Dals, here are three I love,

Pas Toi.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73d0WYElTbM
J'te l'dis quand même https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVu_HyLKGQ
One......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjEcrrf7r0

Another three I enjoy
Video Games....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ajve4nspM
Une femme avec une femme mecano.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMZq1KSrcrE
Somewhere only we know.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oextk-If8HQ

Songs they danced to that were 'alright' but I'm sure did nothing to hurt her image;
Jai Ho, a Pussycats Dolls song. This is not one I particularly like, but I can't see it hurting there image
Watch out for this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGza1pWZ_E

Great dances that came out of the show....

Another great benefit of Dals is the people really got to see Alizee the person and I'm sure she won a lot of fans with that and I'm sure she gained a lot of newfound respect all across France.

So in no way do I think the Dals, the competition, hurt her career. I'm sure it was a huge boost to a career that was on life support at the time.

But there is one aspect of 'Dals' that I think did potentially cripple what hopes there might have been for a new album after Blonde failed and that was the Tournées. The Tournee were shows they'd put on after the competition each year was over and most of the participants and a few extras like Alizee would go around to different cities in Europe, putting on a dancing show.

Unfortunately, these shows took place at the same time as the Les Enfoires shows. Now for those that don't know, The Les Enfoires show, is a show to help feed the homeless. They put on about 6 shows in a week and it's usually early in the year and as I mentioned, it just happened to be at the same time as the Tournees.

Some of the top stars in France perform on this show and I'm sure there are several, producers, directors, musicians, etc at these shows. It's a place where Alize would have rubbed elbows with many people in the industry and I'm sure it would be the place where discussions about a new album would take place, so we lost those opportunities. This year represented a perfect opportunity for both Greg and Alizee to be in Les Enfoires. There seemed to be no other commitments except for the school which I'm sure they could easily rearrange. So it looks like she wont be in that show again. Even in the years without successful albums, it was still great to have the shows of Les Enfoires.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
As far as Dals being harmful to her image. At that point when Dals came along, she was a forgotten star. I think those who still knew of her, didn't take her seriously. She needed Dals
DALS took her in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Her biggest obstacle, her biggest enemy was herself. She needed to have someone managing her career, who knew what they were doing and she didn't. She couldn't figure that out, even after 3 failures. If she could get past herself, then, maybe she could compete with the bigboys.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Getting back to Dals;

As far as the songs that she danced to in Dals, here are three I love,

Pas Toi.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73d0WYElTbM
J'te l'dis quand même https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVu_HyLKGQ
One......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjEcrrf7r0

Another three I enjoy
Video Games....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ajve4nspM
Une femme avec une femme mecano.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMZq1KSrcrE
Somewhere only we know.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oextk-If8HQ

Songs they danced to that were 'alright' but I'm sure did nothing to hurt her image;
Jai Ho, a Pussycats Dolls song. This is not one I particularly like, but I can't see it hurting there image
Watch out for this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGza1pWZ_E
No, I'm talking about dancing styles that are practiced throughout that competition. They has nothing to do with a style of a musical performer. Can you give an example of a singer dancing rumba at the time of singing his song on a stage? Even if such examples exist, there are 3 serious problems:

1. This competition is closer to sport than to art and music. Pumping her muscles is the last thing she needed.
2. Dances used there are mostly partner dances, while Alizée is an individual performer in music. Greg is not a singer, so he cannot make a match with her during concerts. Once he tried, and it was a shame which I'd rather not see.
3. The most important. The target audience of that old-fashioned partner dancing show is 50+. Alizée needed in attracting youth to her albums and concerts and this was missed.

Quote:
Unfortunately, these shows took place at the same time as the Les Enfoires shows. Now for those that don't know, The Les Enfoires show, is a show to help feed the homeless. They put on about 6 shows in a week and it's usually early in the year and as I mentioned, it just happened to be at the same time as the Tournees.

Some of the top stars in France perform on this show and I'm sure there are several, producers, directors, musicians, etc at these shows. It's a place where Alize would have rubbed elbows with many people in the industry and I'm sure it would be the place where discussions about a new album would take place, so we lost those opportunities. This year represented a perfect opportunity for both Greg and Alizee to be in Les Enfoires. There seemed to be no other commitments except for the school which I'm sure they could easily rearrange. So it looks like she wont be in that show again. Even in the years without successful albums, it was still great to have the shows of Les Enfoires.
She has nothing to do there. Mylène doesn't participate in Les Enfoires, so at the very most, Alizée could find a composer for one more failed album there. She must search abroad. UK, USA, Sweden, Germany, as I've said before. I would add Canada as the 5th country in the list. There is French-speaking Quebec and it might be easier for her to communicate with people out there. By the way, Mylène was born and has lived 8 years in Pierrefonds (part of Montreal today).

Last edited by Silencio; 09-23-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

I think its highly unlikely Alizee will ever make another album again.

What we need are advances in CGI and deepfakes, so that Alizee can "star" in all kinds of movies and TV shows. (That's mainly what she is to us, after all--- an image on a TV screen.)

Seriously. What if someone could take the original Star Wars movie and replace Carrie Fisher with Alizee as she appeared in En Concert? It would be the talk of the forum--- guaranteed. If the Star Wars movie was well done, I think it would generate more excitement on the forum than would a new album.

Edit:

Seriously--- En Concert, with all its different camera angles of Alizee, would make the perfect machine-learning dataset. Algorithm and processing-power handles the rest. We can put Alizee in whatever movie (or TV show) we want. And she would look *exactly* as she did in En Concert.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 09-24-2019 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 09-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
DALS took her in the wrong direction.
I don't know about that. She was already going in the wrong direction, as in back to back to back album failures.

What DALS gave her was the opportunity to dance, which was a lifelong passion. It gave her some good publicity. She met her future husband and now father of her child. The experience also gave her the necessary credibility to be a dance studio owner.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I don't know about that. She was already going in the wrong direction, as in back to back to back album failures.

What DALS gave her was the opportunity to dance, which was a lifelong passion. It gave her some good publicity. She met her future husband and now father of her child. The experience also gave her the necessary credibility to be a dance studio owner.

I agree with everything you said here.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
The best songwriters are from the English-speaking countries---- such as England or the U.S. (Blondie, for instance, is an American band.)

If Alizee had been smart in 2004, she would have left France and moved to London or to Los Angeles. Britain and America are where the best songwriters are to be found.
It looks like Paris was too far away from home for Alizee, so London or LA would be torture for her.

Many French singers can also sing in English. In Les Enfoires, where a good number of songs are in English, you would never know the performers are French. There is little to no accent (some though have prominent accents). Alizee has a very tough time with English. She said in some interview that she lost the ability to converse in English because she had very little exposure to English speaking people on a regular basis. She also has a very heavy accent when she does speak English.

So would Alizee be better off with an English-speaking composer writing music with French lyrics (which might be difficult to rhyme), or English lyrics and have her accent be very evident?

Since you brought up the US and the UK, I have not been very fond of the rock music coming out the UK for quite some time. The UK definitely had their hey day, producing many of the legendary rock bands in history. But we are talking about already 50 years ago. Even the more recent epic bands from the UK, like Radiohead, formed 35 years ago.

A resurgence of rock will start in the US. There will be a new movement eventually. There are alternative rock bands everywhere, some pretty good, but "alternative" does not define a movement, but rather the band playing music that cannot be classified anywhere else. The last one I enjoyed was grunge, with Nirvana leading the way.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:05 PM

It would be very interesting to know what was going through her head in 2004. I think she is the type of person who would've given all that stardom up, just to be Jeremy's housewife, especially if she thought her MF years had given her enough financial security that money was not a concern.

But I think Jeremy was very concerned about their financial future no matter how much money they had at that time and Jeremy knew what a hot commodity he had and while she would have been happy to stay home, he had vastly different plans for her. He wanted her back on that stage. So why did that take three years to happen? I 'heard' she was still under contract with MF for a third album and in order to get out of that contract, they had to wait until 2007. I have no idea if that's true, but it seems possible.

I also have to say some thoughts I've offered before. I think these two young artists had very big heads with the success they had to that point. What young people wouldn't? I think they greatly underestimated what it would take to put together a successful album.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It would be very interesting to know what was going through her head in 2004. I think she is the type of person who would've given all that stardom up, just to be Jeremy's housewife, especially if she thought her MF years had given her enough financial security that money was not a concern.
I agree 100%. I believe that Alizee's life goals were to be a wonderful wife and mother first, everything else after that. Fulfilling her contract with MF would have given them a nice financial cushion, but Jeremy was obviously calling the shots career-wise in the relationship, and we know the rest of the story.

I keep going back to Alizee's album 5, because there is so much in there. It is like reading her diary. In Mon Chevalier she sings;

He tells me that at 30 years old
It still feels young
To have children
That it may not be the time
I ask him if he loves me
He doesn’t want to commit himself, my knight

My interpretation is that Alizee wanted her family while she was young, in her 20's. Who knows how many? 2 ,3, 4 kids? We know she loves children and they love her, as she is very nurturing. Any man who can be married to a woman with patience towards children is a lucky man, because he knows she would be patient with him!

She is having her child with Greg just a tad bit late, but these days it is not so much of a medical risk.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. I believe that Alizee's life goals were to be a wonderful wife and mother first, everything else after that. Fulfilling her contract with MF would have given them a nice financial cushion, but Jeremy was obviously calling the shots career-wise in the relationship, and we know the rest of the story.

I keep going back to Alizee's album 5, because there is so much in there. It is like reading her diary. In Mon Chevalier she sings;

He tells me that at 30 years old
It still feels young
To have children
That it may not be the time
I ask him if he loves me
He doesn’t want to commit himself, my knight

My interpretation is that Alizee wanted her family while she was young, in her 20's. Who knows how many? 2 ,3, 4 kids? We know she loves children and they love her, as she is very nurturing. Any man who can be married to a woman with patience towards children is a lucky man, because he knows she would be patient with him!

She is having her child with Greg just a tad bit late, but these days it is not so much of a medical risk.
I think musically, 5 was certainly far behind MCE and Gour, but in meaning,it was far above all her albums.

To read those lines is incredibly sad.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:37 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But I think Jeremy was very concerned about their financial future no matter how much money they had at that time and Jeremy knew what a hot commodity he had and while she would have been happy to stay home, he had vastly different plans for her. He wanted her back on that stage. So why did that take three years to happen? I 'heard' she was still under contract with MF for a third album and in order to get out of that contract, they had to wait until 2007. I have no idea if that's true, but it seems possible.
I always assumed that the 3 year hiatus was due to the baby.

If the 3 year hiatus was simply due to an exclusive contract with Mylene, then Alizee was a complete and total idiot for leaving Mylene. Better to do *something* for 3 years (remain in the public eye) rather than nothing at all.

Alizee may have had a swelled-head to some degree, but I suspect that she was pushed by Jeremy. ("She's mine, Mylene!!! Find yourself another girl!!!")

Edit:

Quote:
Many French singers can also sing in English. In Les Enfoires, where a good number of songs are in English, you would never know the performers are French. There is little to no accent (some though have prominent accents).
Singing seems to remove about 70-90% of a singers accent; I'm not sure why. This would apply to Alizee also.

Quote:
Alizee has a very tough time with English. She said in some interview that she lost the ability to converse in English because she had very little exposure to English speaking people on a regular basis. She also has a very heavy accent when she does speak English.
She's not going to master English, but in theory she could.

The accent isn't a problem--- all that would matter is that Alizee could be understood by English speakers. (The French accent can actually be a plus--- English-speakers typically like the sound of a French accent, often finding it sexually attractive.)

And as I mentioned, the accent isn't a problem with the singing because singing removes 70-90% of the accent.

Quote:
So would Alizee be better off with an English-speaking composer writing music with French lyrics (which might be difficult to rhyme), or English lyrics and have her accent be very evident?
The songs would have to be in English. I think there is something about the English language that makes it more suitable for being set to a melody.

Quote:
Since you brought up the US and the UK, I have not been very fond of the rock music coming out the UK for quite some time. ...

A resurgence of rock will start in the US. There will be a new movement eventually. ...
I agree that music definitely needs a resurgence!

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 09-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts