Doux est le satin
Quand la nuit noire s'habille de white
Ta lampe d'Aladin
Soudain brille de cinq cent mille watts

Acide est le temps qui s'en va
Vacille autour de toi
Tu n'en reviens pas
</TD></TABLE>

Last edited by garçoncanadien; 12-09-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Iron and Silk

atra201 is on a distinguished road

thanks RMJ
although i didn't understand a word

"Such a shame to believe in escape
A life on every face
And that's a change, till I'm finally left with an eight
Tell me to react, I just stare
Maybe I don't know if I should change
A feeling that we share...
It's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me with rage, it's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me in haste, it's a shame
This eagerness to change
It's a shame..."
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

hmm...very interesting song. i just read translation of this song for the first time. anyone else think this song is very "mylene-ish" in lyrics and mood? it has that dark, morbid, and mysterious tone. i am looking at the lyrics and i can totally imagine mylene singing this song...

anyways what's with the french singers and angel gabriel? is it their official angel or something? i've heard it in mylene's music and of course najoua's.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

hi
actually it's more like: "where does the man come?", "homme" is used as "human being" not "man"
"d'où est" and "d'où vient" are translated the same way in english but the meaning is a little different in french
it's something like :where is he located? where does he comes from? from an original place to a destination
"Close the shutters" is a metaphore for "close your eyes"
cheers

Last edited by ajaccio corsica; 12-05-2007 at 07:02 AM..
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Matze is on a distinguished road

It's a pity that this song isn't so much discussed than ofters though there is definitly a lot of myterious and unclear things in it.

If RMJ should read this, why did you translated "l'halali" with "it kills"? It is just a term which describes a cry of hunt, called "halali" or in English "mort".
Furthermore I would translate "Tu pourrais te pendre pour lie" with "You could think that you are he (the bird)" because of the allusion to the trips of drugs in this songs which is there definitely, e.g. in the same strophe with "The bird is thilled of your jelousy" and the dangerous to jump out of the window to fly like a bird.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze View Post
It's a pity that this song isn't so much discussed than ofters though there is definitly a lot of myterious and unclear things in it.

If RMJ should read this, why did you translated "l'halali" with "it kills"? It is just a term which describes a cry of hunt, called "halali" or in English "mort".
Furthermore I would translate "Tu pourrais te pendre pour lie" with "You could think that you are he (the bird)" because of the allusion to the trips of drugs in this songs which is there definitely, e.g. in the same strophe with "The bird is thilled of your jelousy" and the dangerous to jump out of the window to fly like a bird.
You know...I am glad you brought this up. A week ago or so I was trying to decipher this song, and I had a hunch it was about drugs. I mean, especially with the title of the song. It also sounds like something you would maybe listen to while on acid (never done any drugs, but it just sounds like it:P) Anyways, I would love if someone could translate this a bit more, instead of a direct translation, this is my favorite song on the album.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

The title Psychédelices is actually a pseudo-combination of two words and meanings. It does not mean Psychedelic, or so I hear. It is, in my study, a combination of Psyché, meant to reflect on the mellow and trance, almost trip-out part of the album, and Delices, the poppy, fun, and cheery side of the album. Much like her album cover to show two women representing maturity and mischief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria
It also sounds like something you would maybe listen to while on acid
My old gaffer used to do some LYsergid Acid Diethylamide, there were times he was queer as a butterfly, there were times he just seemed like he was going to rip someone's head off. It isn't pleasant, there's a 50% chance you will or won't regret it. Or so i've heard.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
The title Psychédelices is actually a pseudo-combination of two words and meanings. It does not mean Psychedelic, or so I hear. It is, in my study, a combination of Psyché, meant to reflect on the mellow and trance, almost trip-out part of the album, and Delices, the poppy, fun, and cheery side of the album. Much like her album cover to show two women representing maturity and mischief.

My old gaffer used to do some LYsergid Acid Diethylamide, there were times he was queer as a butterfly, there were times he just seemed like he was going to rip someone's head off. It isn't pleasant, there's a 50% chance you will or won't regret it. Or so i've heard.
Haha, I wasn't being literal. I've heard the translated meaning is psychedelights. Either way, it still refers to psychedelics in one way or another. It just doesn't seem like too much of a coincidence that the song subtly refers to drugs, especially when the album has a big retro feel to a lot of the songs.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I read the translations at the link below, just for another interpretation. I'm not saying they are any closer to being right than any other translations, but I like to at least consider all the options when I'm trying to sort them out for myself.

http://alizee-reflections.net/
Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Matze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
You know...I am glad you brought this up. A week ago or so I was trying to decipher this song, and I had a hunch it was about drugs. I mean, especially with the title of the song. It also sounds like something you would maybe listen to while on acid (never done any drugs, but it just sounds like it:P) Anyways, I would love if someone could translate this a bit more, instead of a direct translation, this is my favorite song on the album.
I'll try to translate the translation which I've made for me in my head.

From where is, from where comes the human?
This is the question we ask
From where is, from where is the soul?
So who has invited the code?

With code is meant the basic of live, so DNA. Because of the existing of these code it's probably that there is someone who have it invited. This is also a little bit aimed to the religious part of this song.

Before you so much others have tried
To touch the sky
Even artificial

Maybe that describes one of the basic wishes of the humans to touch the sky like in the old mythology (e.g. Daedalus and Icarus, you know it?) or trough modern technology, so to touch the sky with airplanes. There are much examples where you can see the humans want to get this target.

Able to fly
The bird excites your jealousy
Close the windows
You could think that you are he

So, like I've side at the top, that's an allusion to trips of drugs, more precisely to LSD. The human in itself will probably never get the target to touch the sky but with the illusion you get per drugs you could think that this target is accessible for you. So there is a danger to kill yourself by jumping out of the window.

Acrid is the life that surrounds you
Around you the love
Has so much fear of emptyness

I think meant is this the feeling of emptyness caused by drugs. We have one of the most important things on earth here, the love. But it has fear of emptyness. Probably because there aren't anymore persons around the human who take drugs, love needs mostly at least two persons and the love has fear to doesn't find this second person. But also it's possible that this want to say that caused by drugs your feelings are blurred. You don't represent yourself anymore but that, what the druges have done with you. So you represent a human being without any feelings and the love has fear of emptyness at you. But don't forgot, it's just speculation.

Psychédélices
The helix disappears
You drink of the calyx
Until the mort

So, that's really interesting and I can say a lot about it. At first, "Psychédélices" isn't a selected term in French speak, so there is a big place for interprating it but bearing in mind that there are some signs that the song is about drugs that probably means psychedelic drugs. The word "helix" is a link to the basic code of living, you remember? The two following lines are very interesting and also not translatable if you want to preserve the expressiveness of it. We have to take a look to the original text. "Tu bois le calice jusqu'à l'hallali". There is a phrase in the French language which sounds very close to that, even "boire le calice jusqu'à la lie", so it is a play with the sounds. This phrase means "to drain the cup to the dregs", so it means suffering a long hurt. So probably it is changed with "hallali" because the hero of the story thinks he is totally intransparent. I told you the "hallali" is mort, so a call of hunt. He's ready to go until the end, so the "hallali" is the beginning of the death, of the end.

Psychédélices
There is just Alice
To believe in miracles
After the awakening

So I don't really have a clou what this want to say. But I think there's a link between all the topic of the songs. The miracles, which have the character of some religious but also of some abstract, some mysterious, a sense you've just by taking drugs. There is just Alice (That's close to "Alizée", isn't it?) to believe in miracles ALSO after the awakening, the illusion caused by drugs. I hope Alizée doesn't want to say that she self is taking drugs.

From where is, from where comes the human?
Little walker in the reality
From where are his atoms?
From which star, which spark?

Here we have again this question of the beginning. From where are his atoms. I mean, that is another suppostion. It comes from some star or something like that. But I think it's interesting that we have still this feeling of a sky, of a universe in the whole text. And actually the topics religion and drugs aren't that far away from each other in this song, because both have this sky, this infinity in itself.

You think that your body has wings
That the archangel Gabriel
Is there for the announcement

If you didn't believed that this songs handles also with religion a bit, not lather than yet you must get that it has. The angel Gabriel is the envoy of god. Maybe the announcement has to do with the end of all, with the apocalypse. Maybe with something other, but I like this way of thinking. But in any case that shows that there is an important announcement, that something will be different after it. You think Gabriel is there and has to say something. This delusions of grandeur could be naturally refered to the drugs theory.
And we have this illusion of being able to fly in this strophe also. It describes that yourself have wings like an angel. You are an angel and you are important, that is the strange sense of his own caused by drugs I describes further up.

EDIT: The day before yesterday I got that the angel Gabriel is the angel of death in the Jewry. I think that's interesting because so the hero of the story thinks that the angel of the death is coming, it's another link to his impression that he'll die.
(Addition)

Soft is the satin
If the dark night wraps itself in white
Your lamp of Aladin
Suddenly glares with five hundred thousand watts

Here we have also a description of a "comic star" like in the refrain, namely Aladin (and Alice at the refrain). Also I think we have it to do with extreme hyperbols and illusions. One thing, but probably it's just luck, I find interesting is the fact that we have it to do here with satin like in Fifty Sixty (Velvet, although there "velvet" isn't meant in this way, but maybe it isn't here as well...).

Acrid is the past time
It glints around you
You doesn't come back

Why the past time is acrid? Which time is meant? The time where the hero of the story doesn't take drugs? Or the past time where he alredy did? It isn't clear, so this strophe is very fuzzy. But the hero doesn't come back. If he died or not, he won't be the person he was.

Psychédélices
Délisoleil
You drink of the calyx
Until the mort

Psychédélices
There is just Alice
To believe in miracles
After the awakening

So just the refrain again. We have a play with the words here, namely at "Délisolei" which is consisting of "Délice" (pleasure) and "Soleil" (sun), so it means something like "pleasure of the sun". And that means that also at the end of the song we have a link to the imagination of a universe, we started with the sky, than there were some stars and at the end we went to the center of our sun system, the sun.

Ehh, actually I didn't wanted to talk so much, but ok. Maybe somebody will find it interesting. I just can say that the most of it is just interpration. Some things are facts, the code as a synonym for the DNA, the influence of the religion in the text and the play with the sound in the refrain, that's sort of official.

Please don't be angry if there are some mistakes in the text, it's late here in Germany, I'm very tired and for sure not this big English talent.

One thing at the end of this long post: Make you minds about the textes! Doesn't see my post as the official way to think. Good songs are these which have more than one way of interpration. And this song definitely have many of it. It is hard to interpretate a translation, especially if we have it to do with a French text. The only way to make a nice and good interpretation is to learn French and research much things, this language is very complicated but also an instrument to create very mysterious and also nice textes, I think this one is a very good example.

Last edited by Matze; 08-07-2008 at 05:26 PM..