Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-27-2020, 09:11 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

When I first thought about retirement, I thought maybe I might get a part time job in aviation with the industry growing rapidly and a lack of technician's coming out of school, it looked like a sure thing. Then the Corona virus hit and was a game changer.

I recently got a postcard from an aviation technician school looking for instructors which sounds interesting. I've had some good and varied experiences in my career and bringing that to a school might be interesting.

But one thing that made me choose now is seeing what's going on with relatives and it's not encouraging and for the time being, I'll stay unemployed. I'm getting so much work done at home. The timing is great too for this work. I can't really use my travel benefits now and I usually don't like to travel in the summer so the next few months should be productive for me, something I need. Hopefully in the Fall, it will be travel season again.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:02 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Due to what's going on in the world with the Corona virus and the way it is impacting airlines, I put in for retirement today. Hardly anybody is flying in the States these days and though the government is going to help them out, they still stand to lose a lot of money.

So they made an offer to get people to retire early and I had planned on retiring around the end of the year so it's a no brainer for me.

With almost every aviation job I've had, I've really enjoyed it and it will be tough to leave. When different things get you down in life, there were 2 things that would help me forget about them. One was my work and you know what the other one is.

There's a small chance they could turn down my early 'voluntary' retirement application. Back before 9/11, we had Boeing 777 airplanes that would overnight in Boston. That ended shortly after 9/11. So it's been almost 20 years and now they planned on bringing in 777 overnighters again. The problem with that is you have to go to a school for each type of aircraft you work on. The 777 school is 2 weeks long. Only a couple of mechanics on each night are qualified to work it and it's a big plane that often requires several mechanics to work it. They usually send people to another city for the training, but that's something the employees don't want to do at the moment.

So there's a small chance they might turn me down, but I think they stand to lose so much money in the next year, it's more important for them to cut heads where ever they can.

I'll still have my travel privileges which have enabled me to see Alizee on the occasions I've seen her and I do hope to see her one more time.

On my last night of work, for the week that is, we had a pretty easy night with just an easy inspection and relamping a wing tip navigation lt.

Attachment 3023

Attachment 3024

Attachment 3025

Attachment 3026

Good luck man, but also know the industry will come back in full force and like what has never been seen before. That is once we are past the virus of course, the only uncertainty is how long will that be? But again, if you ask almost anyone what they want to do when we are past the virus, I guarantee you vacation/travel is at the top of their list and that is why I think the industry will be able to hold out and ride this wave, the demand is definitely soon to come.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:51 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Good luck man, but also know the industry will come back in full force and like what has never been seen before. That is once we are past the virus of course, the only uncertainty is how long will that be? But again, if you ask almost anyone what they want to do when we are past the virus, I guarantee you vacation/travel is at the top of their list and that is why I think the industry will be able to hold out and ride this wave, the demand is definitely soon to come.
Thanks Future Raptor Ace! I'm sure you're right and the industry will come back. It may take a while, but it will be back.