Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Mexican popularity theory

Why is Alizée so popular in Mexico? I would like to suggest a possibility.

The "Parler Tout Bas" music video reminds me of the Latin American Quinceaños celebration. You have the doll, the cross and the chambelán. To top it off, in real life, Alizée even has a "Chatelain" (sic. - close enough!) And supposedly an admiration for French culture inspired this custom. Ok, you do have to wait for the "Mes Courants Électriques" album cover for the shoe change!

I also find it interesting that the departure point for the plot in the very telenovela in which Alizée appeared was Candy's trauma as a Quinceañera.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Tontas_No_Van_al_Cielo ).

What do you think of my theory, Karlalizee?

Perhaps this suggests a way to make and keep Alizée popular in Latin America. If Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" can be a staple at weddings, why can't we try to introduce playing "Parler Tout Bas" at the Quinceaños? Or make giving a copy on CD/DVD to the Quinceañera a modern tradition?

Forgive me for being practical, but if one could gift decoratively-cased CD/DVDs, maybe many of them could even be legitimately licensed and sold! And at the worst, even counterfeit copies could help recruit a few new fans.

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 01-11-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Change CD to CD/DVD to admit use of the music video
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

an interesting theory, but I don't think so... that's like saying Michael Jackson likes Marilyn Manson because they both look like scary-ass white women...

Mainly because she was (and is) a hell of a lot more popular for Mes Courants and Psychédélices than she is for Gourmandises.

I think it has to do with her sex appeal, personally. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's an undeniable significant reason.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM

-OC- is on a distinguished road

Nice theory, but i don't think you're right, partly because Parler tout Bas and Gourmandises as a whole wasn't as popular as her two other albums were in Mexico (at least not what i know of).

Wasn't the huge boost she gained in Mexico mostly because of JEAM and the dance that followed with it? I would guess you would have to ask an mexican member of this forum (Alex perhaps?) to be precisely correct, but i've heard that's practically the reason she, "got over" so to speak, in Mexico. Of course, the fact that she covered Madonna's "La Isla Bonita", a sung inspired very much by latin rhythmics, didn't exactly decrease her popularity.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Yes, Alizée says it was because of La Isla Bonita, which is why she did a reprise of it in 2008 and included it on a Mexican edition of Psychédélices. However, from what I have noticed, it's all about J'en ai marre. Maybe Alizée just doesn't want to say that.

Merci Fanny
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Post Follow up

Thanks for your responses. I agree, -OC-, it would be nice to have some Mexican input. Karla is of Venezuelan extraction, but surely must know a lot about Mexico from friends, having grown up on the Rio Grande. Roman, I will accept at face value your assertion about Alizée's explanation. But I also think she said at least once that her Mexican fans like best when she sings in French, rather than Spanish (she did not mention English in that context).

The Hispanic references aside, "La Isla Bonita" is of course ("Corse", haha once again) a half-decent translation of Corsica's sobriquet, "L’Île de Beauté," which keeps it in the "Alizée tradition" of referencing her origin, her name and its meaning. Add to that it started as a Madonna song, and covering it was probably most irresistible for our favorite chanteuse.

Is there some reason Alizée's Mexican breakthrough can't be repeated elsewhere in Latin America? Mexico is among the wealthiest states in the region, but there are others. There are lots of strange things happening in Venezuela now, but maybe it is on the list, too. Karla, you listening yet?

And here's another question: Concentrating on Mexico again, can you guys think of any ways to put some more pesos into one of Alizée's leather handbags, other than fostering a new Quinceaños custom, as I suggested?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Hypebeast

Plaz is on a distinguished road

i'm mexican but certainly not enough (never actually been to mexico) to answer this...

---------------------------------------------------

Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM

mercenaries16 is on a distinguished road

im 100% my english is so bad sorri for that but i only want to answer your question. ok if anywone want to translate my english to a better english it will be a big help XD. ok nop you are3 wrong alizee before jen ai marre apear on internet was nothing in mexico if you ask to the 99 % of people in mexico alizee begins her career with jen ai marre XD but not me of course if you ask someone in mexico for moi lolita they never hear about that even mes courants electriques in mexico only the jen ai marre la isla bonita and the psychedelices album are famous the other songs only are for fans i hope this be usefull if anyone understand my english XD sorri im mexican if you want me to speak spanish oh sure im pretty good english not sure XD
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Talking hey dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenaries16 View Post
im 100% my english is so bad sorri for that but i only want to answer your question. ok if anywone want to translate my english to a better english it will be a big help XD. ok nop you are3 wrong alizee before jen ai marre apear on internet was nothing in mexico if you ask to the 99 % of people in mexico alizee begins her career with jen ai marre XD but not me of course if you ask someone in mexico for moi lolita they never hear about that even mes courants electriques in mexico only the jen ai marre la isla bonita and the psychedelices album are famous the other songs only are for fans i hope this be usefull if anyone understand my english XD sorri im mexican if you want me to speak spanish oh sure im pretty good english not sure XD
Thanks for the input mercenaries. And actually you have really good english. It's at least very understandable
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM

mercenaries16 is on a distinguished road

i just want to help did anyone here see mexican parties for alizee birthday on youtube there is no moi lolita :S how is possible to like alizee and dont like moi lolita and the tabata jalil video dancing like alizee in mexico aizee have alot of presence but nothing of moi lolita
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Michael Jackson likes Marilyn Manson because they both look like scary-ass white women...
That's not very nice of you
"Before you judge me, try hard to love me" - "Childhood" MJ

Tags
latin america, mexico, parler tout bas, quinceañera, quinceaños