Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Traceur

Fyrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
so, i hope this is the right thread.. but now that im in taking a french class, i could use some help!!

in my first week.. i've learned the alphabet, counting, and the days of the week.

BUT. i don't know how to pronounce half the stuf!

like, the week, its very similar to spanish.
french: lundi, merdi, mercredi, jeudi, vendredi, samedi, dimanche
spanish: lunes, martes, miercoles, jueves, viernes, sabado, domingo

so i feel as if im pronouncing all my french the way id pronounce it in spanish. (which makes sense, seeing as how i've studied spanish for 4 years!)
If you could get a hold of Rosetta Stone somehow *cough*, that's very useful for learning pronounciation. I hear it sucks in terms of learning grammar though, but I'm not far enough to notice it yet.

Être et durer.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrel View Post
If you could get a hold of Rosetta Stone somehow *cough*, that's very useful for learning pronounciation. I hear it sucks in terms of learning grammar though, but I'm not far enough to notice it yet.
I use Rosetta Stone for some things, I like it fairly much.
I love some Natural Learning methods though, especially those who take upon Pimsleur theories, they work the best.
In a week I could have learned so much more than I would have from any traditional class. That is no joke.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrel View Post
yeah, i've considered getting that.. but for 1, im already enrolled in a french class here at uiuc, and 2, it's kinda expensive, isn't it?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Rosetta Stone is fun to start with. It doesn't feel like work, well, not much.
I would prefer that at some point they would actually try to teach grammar and so forth, in French like they would to French children. Instead they just tell you how to say stuff and try to get you to figure out what they are talking about. It's a nice idea about learning like a native would, but 1) we are not babies and don't need to start from nothing 2) unlike babies, we don't have 24 hours a day to devote to learning a new language and how to walk, etc. 3) just purely paying attention to what others are saying is not how people learn. Learning also comes from interacting. That's why it is a good supplement to classroom learning (or interaction with French people at least), but not a replacement for it.

If you can devote the time, however, I would recommend going beyond classroom learning and if you are new to the language, something like RS is a good idea. Hey, I could sell you my RS for $100. I could still use it, but ...

Merci Fanny
Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

You have to ask yourself though. Can you justify spending so much money on something you might not use often enough, and probably forget over time? Don't rush into it. Wait until it seems like it could be a necessity. That way you can continue to practice it. You know what they say, use it or lose it.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo! View Post
You have to ask yourself though. Can you justify spending so much money on something you might not use often enough, and probably forget over time? Don't rush into it. Wait until it seems like it could be a necessity. That way you can continue to practice it. You know what they say, use it or lose it.
yeah, i don't know about rosseta stone, but taking french at school takes care of other credits that i need, so i don't end up wasting money.

im just gonna surf around this site for any info that i need.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah. If you want to do it. When I saw Alizée, I was sure I wanted to learn French. I'm still trying over two and a half years later.

Merci Fanny
Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Oh yeah. If you want to do it. When I saw Alizée, I was sure I wanted to learn French. I'm still trying over two and a half years later.
No kidding lol. Seeing her in mexico and going to france a couple of times is enough motivation for moi

Je souhaite que j'aie plus d'argent.