Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Yeah, I think if you asked 1000 people, you'd get at least 500 different answers. I'm one of the people who never cared much for the English songs. In fact, I never listen to them. I always preferred the French versions, even when I didn't know hardly a word of French. The music always comes first for me, but lyrics are almost as important to me. I wonder how many of my fellow Americans out there have the same inclinations as me? I know I'm not the only one. There is no such thing as "one" in nature.

Part of the charm in discovering Alizée's music for me was the puzzle it offered me in figuring out what it was she was really singing. Each song provides me with that extra bit of a sense of discovery and adventure. And I have found both MF's and Jean Fauque's words very interesting. Most of these songs are not just stupid pop lyrics.

The other thing I would say is, I think the English versions of the MCE songs were written for people whose SECOND language is English. These songs were probably not meant for the USA or maybe even the UK specifically. Just my opinion...

Anyway, having said all that, I hope she has included an English song on her new album. Not a translated song or alternate version, but one that was written in English. I know it's doubtful, but still I hope...
I prefer the French versions although I only understand what has been translated by Roman and others. The lyrics are somewhat important in English language, but in Alizee's case the melody, her voice and beauty of the French language suffice for the most part. I wouldl really like her new album to include an English version if it is an original English version and not translated from French. Probably too much to hope for. It is probably too late to send her one of yours for her to sing. You are very talented in your own right Lefty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Roman, I wasn't saying I don't like those 4 songs. (I do, and my kids prefer them over the French versions.) I was merely trying to point out why they never got played on american radio. In the competitive US music biz (now slowly dying from its fear of anything different) those songs just didn't stand a chance.

Above I'd compared "Yoopidoo" to a cute bunny in the road. The real expression I was going for is "like a deer in the headlights", but I didn't know if they'd heard that one in France.

What I'm "driving at" is that all four of those songs were deer and fawns, about to get run over by semis. A corporate radio programmer wouldn't have put them out on the US radio highway, whether they like deer or not.

(---Boy, that didn't clear up anything!)
Though this doesn't apply to you and Roman's discussion here; I want to thank you Chuck for posting your conversation with the Frenchman. It was very enlightening to get his perspective on Alizee's legacy. I already thanked Roman for his translation. You both rock!

Last edited by pepelepew; 09-18-2009 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post

The other thing I would say is, I think the English versions of the MCE songs were written for people whose SECOND language is English. ...
I think they were meant for the UK audience, but yes, also the Asian audience which is where you are right.

Merci Fanny