Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road
Default The Corsican Accent

I've been studying French for about three months now, and while my French tongue is still soft I'd like to learn to speak with a Corsican accent.

What are some characteristics of a Corsican accent that I should adopt?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
I've been studying French for about three months now, and while my French tongue is still soft I'd like to learn to speak with a Corsican accent.

Its the same with me, i only discovered Alizée in January this year, and i started learning the language ever since but only seriously for three or four months. Luckily, i speak spanish as well, so that helps a little. The audio podcasts i have help with the pronunciation, but its probably using the Parisian accent not the Corsican one, and i'd like to be able to choose which one im most comfortabe with. I havent thoroughly checked out the Learn French thread yet , but i will, and any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Recline yourself

what have you been using to learn besides podcasts?

I got my hands on a copy of all three levels of Rosetta Stone and I've been watching every French movie I can get my hands on
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Vista is on a distinguished road

@Jalen
Here is a link to various Corsican language sites
http://www.corsica-isula.com/languag...age%20Websites
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista View Post
@jalen
here is a link to various corsican language sites
http://www.corsica-isula.com/languag...age%20websites
cool!!!!! Thank you!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Wink Learning Corsican?!!! Zow! French & Me...

I just gotta jump in and say that this is one thing (of many) that's amazed me about Alizée: She's got us all learning French! That's like a bird that flies overhead, and inspires rats on the ground to try to build wings!

Me, I learned French starting in elementary school, 3rd grade, and continued with it through high school. That was ten years of lessons! Straight As! After which, I could actually talk with French people, in France (albeit very slowly).

After that, about thirty years went by, during which I never needed to speak or use any French at all. It's just not a sought-after job skill or the most valuable thing to know, not here in America. Then I discovered our Alizée. Bought some of her CD's. Started playing 'em. Now get this - this is the weird part....

For the first couple days with her music on my stereo, I could understand some of it. Just a bit. But not that much. Then on the third day, yikes! Suddenly, it all sounded Chinese! What had happened???!

Then my brain started really throbbing for a day or two! It was like some old, buried stuff was working its way to the surface. It wouldn't even let me sleep. So I started really studying some French again - first Lilly's lyrics, then some learning CDs & books, then some websites... Then the brain pain slowly subsided and a few days later - DOUBLE YIKES! - the next time I listened to Alizee, it was like it was totally amplified! I could hear every word, even sing along a bit. (btw, the wife & kids were NOT impressed - I don't sing so good in English, either.)

Sure, a lot of words I still have to look up. And the way French runs words together, and the way so many words sound the same - (whew) - as a non-French speaker, I'll probably always need to have some printed lyrics to look at, just to sort it all out.

So I guess what I'm saying is WOW. Good for you! But it's going to be challenging. And careerwise, you'd be better off with learning Spanish, or Chinese or Japanese, you do realize. S'il faut apprendre le français, il faut l'apprendre pour l'amour!

(sniff) Thirty years since high school! (I wonder if I got a invitation to the reunion?) It's kinda flown by. But you know what? France and French have lately been creeping back into my life. Now, I've got a nice neighbor who's a French Prof at the U, and get this ---> a family just moved in down the block (with kids same ages as ours) that are from France! He's a helicopter engineer. We've been helping them adjust. Cool! Who knows what this could lead to, but they are heading back in a couple years. Maybe we'll have weaseled ourselves an invite to France by then!

Salut! Félicitations! Sacré bleu! Chuck
(p.s.: *For what it's worth, I posted on Lillytown.net to ask if the French detect a Corsican accent in her singing -- no answer yet. But I'm pretty sure the answer's gonna be "no".) C
(p.p.s. - no, the french prof or most of the new family down the street hadn't heard of Alizée yet. But I bet their older brother, Stefan, will know...)
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Chuck
that's a pretty cool story chuck, I'm graduating June next year! Sen10rs! lol the 10 for the class of '10, get it? lol, im jealous of you, i should have taken French during school too . I only have one year left and i cant take a beginner language class now.

Vista
Thanks for the link vista, hopefully i'll be able to be a little fluent by this time next year with all this help.

Jalen
Awesome new sig man, i love it and the lovely pics you used. Ok, i had to get that out lol. I just use the podcast (CoffeeBreak French) and whatever help i can get from this website. I also have a small game program that's a lot like "Who wants to be a millionaire" except the questions are French vocabulary. I wish i had the Rosetta stone thing as well but i hear that it don't help with grammar. Well whatever works right? And besides that, im taking AP Spanish next year, and one of the AP Spanish teachers is also a French teacher. So im praying that i get her so she can also give me a lesson or two after school.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I just gotta jump in and say that this is one thing (of many) that's amazed me about Alizée: She's got us all learning French! That's like a bird that flies overhead, and inspires rats on the ground to try to build wings!

Me, I learned French starting in elementary school, 3rd grade, and continued with it through high school. That was ten years of lessons! Straight As! After which, I could actually talk with French people, in France (albeit very slowly).

After that, about thirty years went by, during which I never needed to speak or use any French at all. It's just not a sought-after job skill or the most valuable thing to know, not here in America. Then I discovered our Alizée. Bought some of her CD's. Started playing 'em. Now get this - this is the weird part....

For the first couple days with her music on my stereo, I could understand some of it. Just a bit. But not that much. Then on the third day, yikes! Suddenly, it all sounded Chinese! What had happened???!

Then my brain started really throbbing for a day or two! It was like some old, buried stuff was working its way to the surface. It wouldn't even let me sleep. So I started really studying some French again - first Lilly's lyrics, then some learning CDs & books, then some websites... Then the brain pain slowly subsided and a few days later - DOUBLE YIKES! - the next time I listened to Alizee, it was like it was totally amplified! I could hear every word, even sing along a bit. (btw, the wife & kids were NOT impressed - I don't sing so good in English, either.)

Sure, a lot of words I still have to look up. And the way French runs words together, and the way so many words sound the same - (whew) - as a non-French speaker, I'll probably always need to have some printed lyrics to look at, just to sort it all out.

So I guess what I'm saying is WOW. Good for you! But it's going to be challenging. And careerwise, you'd be better off with learning Spanish, or Chinese or Japanese, you do realize. S'il faut apprendre le français, il faut l'apprendre pour l'amour!

(sniff) Thirty years since high school! (I wonder if I got a invitation to the reunion?) It's kinda flown by. But you know what? France and French have lately been creeping back into my life. Now, I've got a nice neighbor who's a French Prof at the U, and get this ---> a family just moved in down the block (with kids same ages as ours) that are from France! He's a helicopter engineer. We've been helping them adjust. Cool! Who knows what this could lead to, but they are heading back in a couple years. Maybe we'll have weaseled ourselves an invite to France by then!

Salut! Félicitations! Sacré bleu! Chuck
(p.s.: *For what it's worth, I posted on Lillytown.net to ask if the French detect a Corsican accent in her singing -- no answer yet. But I'm pretty sure the answer's gonna be "no".) C
(p.p.s. - no, the french prof or most of the new family down the street hadn't heard of Alizée yet. But I bet their older brother, Stefan, will know...)
10 years?! aww man.. so how long till im barely proficient at french?

another reason im trying to learn French is that a buddy of mine and I are planning a backpacking trip through Europe, and we figured we should know a few languages. He knows German, and I know Spanish, French and Korean, though im not sure how useful korean would be!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
He knows German, and I know Spanish, French and Korean, though im not sure how useful korean would be!
Your Korean will be just useful as my Polish in Korea But English, German and Spanish is great mix for Western, Southern and Northern Europe, German should be also quite useful in Central and Eastern Europe.
And French only in France I think xP. And of course our european english xD
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post

I've been told by a number of French speakers that there really isn't such thing as a "Corsican" accent when speaking French anymore. They sound like anyone else from southern France.