Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Djr654 is on a distinguished road

Most of Gour/MCE for me at the moment.

Really got into Amelie m'a dit now; took a while to grow on me, but now it's such a beautiful song. Also Coeur deja pris and A quoi reve une jeune fille, which I heard for the first time this week.

Interesting observation: I prefer the French versions to the English equivalents for JEAM, JPVA, etc. Not quite sure why; maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing her sing in French that the English doesn't sound quite right. Not that I dislike them, but I'd rather listen to JPVA than I'm not Twenty, given the choice. Anyone else feel like this, or is it just me?

*Slight off-topic* I had my first Alizée-related dream two nights ago. Nothing particularly exciting; I was in a shop, and I'm Fed Up started playing on the radio. Why my subconscious chose this over JEAM when I prefer the latter, I'm not sure... *End off-topic*
Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Zéeologist

Antares is on a distinguished road

I think most people probably prefer the French versions. The lyrics are also different between the two so that they'd rhyming pattern and metre. I've actually hardly listened to the English versions myself, maybe I'm Fed Up a few times and I don't think I've even heard the others.

I once had Moi Lolita play in a dream. It was spot on perfect, I guess my brain has remembered it pretty well by now.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Jazzmin is on a distinguished road

L'Alizé ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djr654 View Post
Interesting observation: I prefer the French versions to the English equivalents for JEAM, JPVA, etc. Not quite sure why; maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing her sing in French that the English doesn't sound quite right. Not that I dislike them, but I'd rather listen to JPVA than I'm not Twenty, given the choice. Anyone else feel like this, or is it just me?
I too prefer the French ones but I am sure why and I do dislike her singing those songs in English :P . Not because of the language itself but because a. the lyrics are poorly written and b. the timber of her voice seems less interesting, more "flat" (I hope you get what I mean, I suck at describing my opinions about sounds :< ). The latter is kinda suprising for me, given that I entirely loooove the way she sings "La isla bonita". Thus, I suppose that it has more to do with editing rather than actual sound of Lilly's English .

And I don't think your preference is anything strange. All the people that I know in person (though they are rather few, I gotta admit) and who listened to at least a couple of her songs prefer her singing in French, and it's all about the sound as none of them knows a word in the language. So I guess that for you it's a more relevant and interesting piece of information than my personal revelations.
The Round belong

Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Whichever song randomly comes up next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djr654 View Post
I prefer to listen to the French versions as well. I do listen though to the English versions when they come along in the rotation. I think the reason I prefer the French versions is because the lyrics don't seem to be well-written. Some lines I can't even understand the words. But I do like hearing Alizée sing in English, and I imagine how she would sound if she gave an interview in English someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
The latter is kinda suprising for me, given that I entirely loooove the way she sings "La isla bonita". Thus, I suppose that it has more to do with editing rather than actual sound of Lilly's English .
Which version? From the Psychedelices CD or the TV appearance?

I've often thought over the years that when she covers another artist's song that she does a great job. LIB, Ella, Elle la, La vie par procuration as some examples.