Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

I don't know of I read it somewhere in an interview or in one of this forum threads, but I think she left Mylene because during those years she was not living her life. I mean, she was just a money machine. She was certainly enjoying that success and fame but, "knowing" her nature, I'm sure that she felt kind of a prisoner. Obviously she was young and made some mistakes then, but she probably needed a bit of freedom. She didn't have adolescence years, only working. And even though we are talking about a very lucky person, she had never asked for that.

Anyway why many of you tend to think that Alizée was kind of manipulated by Jeremy? I've read many times that Jeremy might have pushed her to leave Mylene and make some bad choices. Is there any "evidence" of that or is it just your impression?
I'm asking this because it seems difficult for me to imagine that Alizée could be manipulated by a random guy, especially because she is very close to her family, but she was very young and I bet also disoriented...
Old 09-25-2019, 06:47 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
I don't know of I read it somewhere in an interview or in one of this forum threads, but I think she left Mylene because during those years she was not living her life. I mean, she was just a money machine.
Yes, there was an interview posted on the forum in which Alizee said she felt like she was a "product". I think she also mentioned something about creative differences.

Quote:
Anyway why many of you tend to think that Alizée was kind of manipulated by Jeremy? I've read many times that Jeremy might have pushed her to leave Mylene and make some bad choices. Is there any "evidence" of that or is it just your impression?
I don't think there is hard evidence--- it is just my impression that there is a high likelihood of manipulation. Jeremy seems like the manipulative type.

Quote:
I'm asking this because it seems difficult for me to imagine that Alizée could be manipulated by a random guy, especially because she is very close to her family, but she was very young and I bet also disoriented...
Alizee was young (19), and in love with Jeremy. And like you said, "disoriented" by what she experienced over the last 4 years. She could have been easy to manipulate.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The word "manipulate" is a strong word and is usually associated with somebody who is a control freak. There is evidence that Jeremy was the controlling type. There is also evidence that Alizee is the type of woman who likes the man to lead. She did take the Lyonnet name. No Jacotey-Lyonnet last name, just Lyonnet. It doesn't make her subservient, but is evidence that she leans towards traditional values. A manipulative person can exploit that.

Annily was not baptized as an infant, which is customary in the Catholic faith. She was baptized after she left Jeremy. Alizee did not seem very religious, at least at that time, but there must have been a lot of pressure from her family to have Annily infant baptized. Jeremy, being Jewish (non-practicing), could have turned the other way and let it happen, but it never did happen. My thought is that he forbade it to happen. Alizee probably would have had Annily baptized if the door was open to do so to appease her family, especially after disappointing them by eloping.

If Jeremy had that much control over their relationship, there is no telling what went on in their private life.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 09-25-2019 at 07:46 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
Alizee was young (19), and in love with Jeremy. And like you said, "disoriented" by what she experienced over the last 4 years. She could have been easy to manipulate.
I see. But this let me think that she had troubles with her family... Because when you are so young, your family is the only certainty you have and, from what I see, she distanced herself from it. I think she saw Jeremy as a sort of gateway to escape all the pressure she had had to handle, because of Mylene and probably her family as well. The way the marriage was made proves this, in my opinion. Even though I think that her family only wanted her to be happy and she was probably as rebel as any other young son/daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Alizee is the type of woman who likes the man to lead. She did take the Lyonnet name. No Jacotey-Lyonnet last name, just Lyonnet. It doesn't make her subservient, but is evidence that she leans towards traditional values. A manipulative person can exploit that.
I don't know. I've never understood why she took Greg's surname. It's something that would be dated even for my grandmother... I see it just as a tradition from Ajaccio. I don't want to think that her mentality is 100 years old. I mean, even though she might want the man to lead (in a modern way), I think that in her ideal marriage man and woman have equal rights and decision-making power. She is too young and has traveled too much to have a different idea about this. At least I hope so.
But...
Quote:
Annily was not baptized as an infant, which is customary in the Catholic faith. She was baptized after she left Jeremy. Alizee did not seem very religious, at least at that time, but there must have been a lot of pressure from her family to have Annily infant baptized. Jeremy, being Jewish (non-practicing), could have turned the other way and let it happen, but it never did happen. My thought is that he forbade it to happen. Alizee probably would have had Annily baptized if the door was open to do so to appease her family, especially after disappointing them by eloping.

If Jeremy had that much control over their relationship, there is no telling what went on in their private life.
... what you wrote here makes me think what I wrote above: she didn't like her life and saw Jeremy as a new path to follow. I don't think she knew what she was going to do, she probably dashed into that new life only to experience something different from a reality she didn't like anymore. And Jeremy probably took advantage of the situation here. And, as I said, everything was easier for him if it is true that Alizée had pushed her family away.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM

imverynuts is on a distinguished road

I know this has probably been said by one of you guys but I'm all for Alizee's current life and I'm more than glad she's happier than ever, even if this means giving up her music career.

Like others have said, since I learned about the lyrics from her album before Blonde, I think what she has with Gregoire is what she wanted with with Jeremy all along. He's obviously committed and what I think she deserved all along.

I even think Alizee may got some of those tattoos because she felt lost and that an entire decade had been just fiddling around with Jeremy doing whatever he fancied at the moment, while he lost interest in her (however quickly), and declining album sales. DALS was the light at the end of that tunnel and I absolutely do not want her to change at all. Almost like a belated fairy tale, really.

I'd only want her to make an album if she really really wanted to and that didn't incur stress again in her life.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know. I've never understood why she took Greg's surname. It's something that would be dated even for my grandmother... I see it just as a tradition from Ajaccio. I don't want to think that her mentality is 100 years old. I mean, even though she might want the man to lead (in a modern way), I think that in her ideal marriage man and woman have equal rights and decision-making power. She is too young and has traveled too much to have a different idea about this. At least I hope so.
I'm not sure what it's like in Italy, but a wife taking a husband's surname is still pretty much the norm in the US, even for young couples. Exceptions are women in show biz or some other kind of public figure. Middle America is by and large still pretty conservative about these things.

I'm sure Greg treats Alizee as an equal partner and they share decision-making. Their studio is, after all, A&G and not G&A.

I think women still like a strong man with the confidence to make tough decisions for the benefit of both. Nobody can be an expert at everything, so hopefully the final decision is made by the person who knows the subject area the best.

Quote:
... what you wrote here makes me think what I wrote above: she didn't like her life and saw Jeremy as a new path to follow. I don't think she knew what she was going to do, she probably dashed into that new life only to experience something different from a reality she didn't like anymore. And Jeremy probably took advantage of the situation here. And, as I said, everything was easier for him if it is true that Alizée had pushed her family away.
Getting married on a whim in Vegas, moving to Paris, having a child all sounded exciting to Alizee at first. Was it her rebellious period that she never had in Ajaccio? Possibly. Did she want an escape from Corsica? That is a possibility too, at least for a short period of time.

But yes, things went crashing down very badly for Alizee. In 10 ans, she sings

I became a ghost,
I became a bird in a cage.
You, you only spoke to the walls.
Without the cage,
I smiled at everything,
But I cried for nothing.

Very tough lyrics. They imply she was somehow trapped and he wasn't.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imverynuts View Post
I even think Alizee may got some of those tattoos because she felt lost and that an entire decade had been just fiddling around with Jeremy doing whatever he fancied at the moment, while he lost interest in her (however quickly), and declining album sales. DALS was the light at the end of that tunnel and I absolutely do not want her to change at all. Almost like a belated fairy tale, really.
I read at some point in the past that tattoos can mean closure. It certainly makes sense in Alizee's case.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imverynuts View Post
I know this has probably been said by one of you guys but I'm all for Alizee's current life and I'm more than glad she's happier than ever, even if this means giving up her music career.

DALS was the light at the end of that tunnel and I absolutely do not want her to change at all. Almost like a belated fairy tale, really.

I'd only want her to make an album if she really really wanted to and that didn't incur stress again in her life.
I totally agree with that.

Quote:

I'm sure Greg treats Alizee as an equal partner and they share decision-making. Their studio is, after all, A&G and not G&A.
Exactly. This and other little things are the reason why I can't imagine her "obeying" a man (as long as she is not fragile, I guess)

Quote:
Nobody can be an expert at everything, so hopefully the final decision is made by the person who knows the subject area the best.
Yeah, this is how it should work.

Quote:
But yes, things went crashing down very badly for Alizee. In 10 ans, she sings

I became a ghost,
I became a bird in a cage.
You, you only spoke to the walls.
Without the cage,
I smiled at everything,
But I cried for nothing.

Very tough lyrics. They imply she was somehow trapped and he wasn't.
Again This album is so sad...

Quote:
I'm not sure what it's like in Italy, but a wife taking a husband's surname is still pretty much the norm in the US, even for young couples. Exceptions are women in show biz or some other kind of public figure. Middle America is by and large still pretty conservative about these things.
Here we don't do that. A family is still called by the father's surname, but it's nothing really important. It is only useful when you call someone at the house phone and want to be very, very formal.

We have some traditions for this kind of things and I think Italy and France are similar about this. But we aren't too strict. Obviously there are some exceptions like my grandfather lol
That's why I think that Alizée took Greg's name because of a possible tradition. Or, now that you said it, it can be that she took that name to emulate what you do in the US, like a sort of imported American trend. Europeans do this for many, many things. And I guess you notice it is true for Alizée, too.

Edit:

Anyway tell me one thing about the US: when women get married, do they legally change their name or is it just a new way to be called?

Last edited by Aragorn97; 09-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Anyway tell me one thing about the US: when women get married, do they legally change their name or is it just a new way to be called?
It is a legal name change, however, the maiden name stays on record. If the couple should divorce, the woman can take the option of legally changing back to her maiden name. It it not automatic. I knew a woman who divorced but retained the last name of her ex-husband. Reason? She never liked her maiden name.

Also, it's not common but it does happen, a husband can take the surname of the wife.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Cool

Quote:
It is a legal name change, however, the maiden name stays on record. If the couple should divorce, the woman can take the option of legally changing back to her maiden name. It it not automatic. I knew a woman who divorced but retained the last name of her ex-husband. Reason? She never liked her maiden name.

Also, it's not common but it does happen, a husband can take the surname of the wife.
Oh I see. Thanks :P

Anyway the fact that the wife can keep her name and give it to her husband is a good thing. I thought only the man could do it...