Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road
Default UEDs: The perspective discussion.

So, let us begin with Aaron's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
AlizeeInspired requested we try to discuss Alizee's music since after all, that is what we are fans of. So here is the update to my first post:

1)Mes Fantomes makes me cry and gives me the most ecstatic feeling one can ever feel. It is like a drug to me. I just feel like crying out of joy when listening to this song.

2)This is indeed a powerful song and it really shows me that Alizee is indeed not perfect. Although Alizee didn't write this song, I think we know and she knows that this is about some mistakes she has made and that she feels bad about making them. But we don't know what mistakes it refers to since only she knows what it means to her.

3)I love how this song is created by the amazing musical talent her musicians have, and how they fit it to her voice. Her voice and the instruments are like 2 peas in a pod. I hate listening to one part it because of a note that wasn't held out by the synthesizer which is explained here: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5645

4) Music-wise I believe this is one of her best since the split from MF. It is simple and elegant, and the synthesizer just brings out the beauty in her voice. And the faint electric guitar in the background brings it home for me.....

Discuss.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Mes Fantomes is indeed a very beautiful song. Although I'm fairly certain this thread is for MUSICAL discussion, on a side note, I felt like the song was more about reflecting on one's mistakes, accepting them, and learning from them.

I believe Eden, Eden trounces Mes Fantomes, however. More detail on why when I can gather my thoughts more clearly.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I like it.

Nuff said.

Nah, but there's a certain charm to UEdS that I quite enjoy... at least with me, I pick up a sense of euphoric passion in every song, albeit presented in a different light. I'm not a fan of techo-synthesized sound, but I think the new style does succeed in giving the album a flavor of cold insincerity (or something like that)... I think this is especially prevalent in 14 Décembre....

That be-th my two cents on the matter... honestly I'd rather spend more time listening to it than discussing.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 AM

I'll be blunt. I really don't like UEDs. I'll listen to it when it comes up on my playlist that I listen to (It's all of Alizée's songs with the few Ewa Farna songs I have thrown in and set to shuffle.) but otherwise, not a fan of it. The only songs that I can say that I "like" are Limelight, Les Collines, and Mes Fantomes. The rest of the album is just.. monotone. There's no real passion to her singing. I mean, I guess there is, but the style of music is just not to my liking that I can't really pick up on any emotions that she adds to show her passion.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée Bublé?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I'll be blunt. I really don't like UEDs. [...] The rest of the album is just.. monotone. There's no real passion to her singing. I mean, I guess there is, but the style of music is just not to my liking that I can't really pick up on any emotions that she adds to show her passion.
Hey Wasabs! Hi, all!

Wasabi, I'm quoting you here because I think you've nailed it. Personally, I DO like UEDS, still listen to it several times a week, but all in all, it's my least favorite Lilly album ever. (To be more accurate, I like it a lot less than Psych, but still like it a lot more than almost anything else in my record collection.)

As you said, where's the passion? Where's the fire? Where's our girl's amazing power and range? Nowhere to be found there! With all her previous work, no matter who wrote it, she always managed to shine through, to rise above the mix, and make each of those songs distinctively her own. On UEDS, I don't see any of those things. In fact, here it seems like she's just a soft, controlled voice. One that could have been replaced by any number of other vocalists. If UEDS were her only work, I would NOT have become a devoted fan. The qualities that I admire most about Alizée, especially her warm, clever (and sometimes very funny) personality, they just aren't here.

This sounds like I'm condemning the album. I'm certainly not! I still think it's great, and great art. But what if Van Gogh had suddenly decided he wanted to radically change his style - and then began creating paintings like those of Norman Rockwell or ("American Gothic") Grant Wood? It would have seemed like a huge letdown. Sure, they'd still be really, really good paintings, but in comparison - no contest!

OK, that's kinda abstract (in more ways than one), so maybe I should stick to a musical analogy. What if Mick Jagger or Neil Young suddenly chucked it all and started singing like Michael Bublé?

(SHUDDERS)...

Okay, that's my two cent's worth.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Hey Wasabs! Hi, all!

Wasabi, I'm quoting you here because I think you've nailed it. Personally, I DO like UEDS, still listen to it several times a week, but all in all, it's my least favorite Lilly album ever. (To be more accurate, I like it a lot less than Psych, but still like it a lot more than almost anything else in my record collection.)

As you said, where's the passion? Where's the fire? Where's our girl's amazing power and range? Nowhere to be found there! With all her previous work, no matter who wrote it, she always managed to shine through, to rise above the mix, and make each of those songs distinctively her own. On UEDS, I don't see any of those things. In fact, here it seems like she's just a soft, controlled voice. One that could have been replaced by any number of other vocalists. If UEDS were her only work, I would NOT have become a devoted fan. The qualities that I admire most about Alizée, especially her warm, clever (and sometimes very funny) personality, they just aren't here.

This sounds like I'm condemning the album. I'm certainly not! I still think it's great, and great art. But what if Van Gogh had suddenly decided he wanted to radically change his style - and then began creating paintings like those of Norman Rockwell or ("American Gothic") Grant Wood? It would have seemed like a huge letdown. Sure, they'd still be really, really good paintings, but in comparison - no contest!

OK, that's kinda abstract (in more ways than one), so maybe I should stick to a musical analogy. What if Mick Jagger or Neil Young suddenly chucked it all and started singing like Michael Bublé?

(SHUDDERS)...

Okay, that's my two cent's worth.
Chuck!!! Glad to see you're still coming around!!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I had very mixed feelings about it for a long time. As an Alizée fan, I felt almost obligated to like it.. I wasn't too worried, because at first, I didn't like Psychedelices either, but after listening to it many times, I grew to love it. With UEDs however.. no such luck. It's just the style of UEDs is so colorless.

I mean all her previous works were all just the opposite. While Gourmandises and MCE were not her own work, Psychedelices, which when released was hailed as Alizée very own album, was much more cheerful, colorful, and there was some "umph" to it.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

Wasabi, I'm always glad to see you're still around here, too!

As you said, Psychedelices "was much more cheerful, colorful, and there was some "umph" to it." Again, I couldn't agree more.

But you know what? I still hold out a little hope that she'll do another album someday soon that will be more like that one was. I have no reason to believe that this will actually happen. I have no future knowledge that she'll ever be recording anything again. But it's my hope, and I'm clinging to it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 AM

AceTone is on a distinguished road

This thread is stupid. Phuk!n9 Sh!+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Discuss.
Oh wait, I thought you said Diss/cuss. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
and there was some "umph" to it."
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTone View Post
This thread is stupid. Phuk!n9 Sh!+

Oh wait, I thought you said Diss/cuss. Carry on.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTone View Post

Nicely said. I like that.