Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road
Default My Review on Psychedelices

I will not get into every song but one Psychedelices I just don't like it at all.

Now for my raves I like the rest of the CD a lot. I knew Alizée had range but never like this. She went from Pop/Rock to Jazz, Piano Bar type singing to Rap and everything in between. It is so different from Gourmandises and MCE style she had in the early years.
I got some time to hear it with no one around to bother me in the car. I was sold on the CD after listening to it for over three hours today.

Damn this girl is good.

That voice and flexibility she has proves what those people back home during the Graines De Star competition knew. That 15 year old girl was very special when they voted her to go to Paris to represent Ajaccio. Mylene and Laurent also saw it when they choose her over all the others that applied for the opportunity to be produced by them.

If you feel that this CD isn't as good as the first two you're pretty shallow
in your musical interests. When people on the board say listen to it for a while it will grow on you, they are giving you the best advice they can.
The first time through the CD I was OK with it. Second time I was starting to appreciate the quality of the work. By the third time through I was realizing just how much she had matured in her singing abilities.

This is not the last CD we will see from Alizée. This CD is a wake up call or as they say a shot across the bow to the naysayers that said she was a flash in the pan.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:56 PM
moi coco

cocoroa is on a distinguished road

psychedelices rocks man!!!!

i didn´t like it at the first time i her it but the second time, i just loved it

Lili... with you till the end of the world
don´t forget to watch my alizee video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskLRxB_XFM

TA4E!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
If you feel that this CD isn't as good as the first two you're pretty shallow in your musical interests.
I don't think I could disagree with that statement any more

For one thing, I think that Mes courants électriques and Gourmandises are better than Psychédélices. The composing is superior by leaps and bounds, as is the songwriting. Alizée's singing is also more varied and lively in the earlier albums.

So, I feel that this CD isn't as good as the first two. However, I don't consider my musical interests shallow at all; for that to happen, I would have to be interested in music just because others are. But wait a second -- you're saying that if I follow behind what you think, rather than choosing for myself, I'm not shallow? Doesn't work that way, bud.

Additionally, that statement is essentially attacking one's opinion if they don't agree. I'm a big believer in the right to one's opinion, so I really couldn't agree with what you said even if it said the opposite. A person's musical interest is their own personal choice, and nobody should be deciding whether that choice is right except for the person who makes it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you posted first Espire, saved me from letting this go to my head. I hate it when people give labels to others for having their own opinion. We're all different in more ways then one, therefore we should respect each others taste. No one is saying they hate Alizée's new music. Except for a few that are saying they won't buy it, what some are saying is that it's not as good as the previous two because it doesn't have the same effect. As I remember correctly the majority of her fans including me have said that the first time we heard or saw Alizée it blew as away, took our breath away. Well this is not the same with her new album, and yes the more you listen to it the more you love it, I know I am. Also, this has nothing to do with her Lolita image, some of us saw beyond that, even then...

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Last edited by Jess; 12-02-2007 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
If you feel that this CD isn't as good as the first two you're pretty shallow in your musical interests.
While this statement may be true in a few cases, I wouldn't characterize everyone that has misgivings about the new album in this way. It’s quite a sweeping generalization to make. Personally, I’m quite happy with the new album, but I appreciate the fact that not everyone will feel that way. So much of this is subjective and has to do with personal taste.

I have analyzed the hell out of all the music Alizée has done and I could go on and on about all the technical details I’ve considered. There are many levels which you can judge or appreciate music. But in the end, it’s all about whether you like it or not. And each person can only speak for his or her self. All I ask is that everyone gives it a fair shot, and then let them have their opinion without being ridiculed for it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Espire I wasn't attacking any ones personal opinion. My comment I will admit was a little strong but this CD is a complete new direction from the first two.
My taste in music runs the gambit. Anything from classical to swing/big band to the do wop of the fifties to the sixties and on to present day. I do have a bias toward the Motown sound when Motown records were still located in Detroit.

Alizée is showing everyone just how versatile she is with this CD.
There are a lot of musical artists that try to cross over between genre's and fail miserably. What I hear on this CD, is she did it very well and with flying colors. It may not be the type of music or style you are accustomed to from her but it is Alizée's way of presenting her new work.

If she ever tries to do country I think I would have to puke.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

ALS, I'll take that as a retraction of your impositions on others' musical tastes, and we'll leave it at that
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
moi coco

cocoroa is on a distinguished road

hey if you like the album or not it´s up to you guys

it´s a personal choice

but i like it just as the other two

Lili... with you till the end of the world
don´t forget to watch my alizee video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskLRxB_XFM

TA4E!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 AM

Martin is on a distinguished road

Shallow?? I for one think that her previous albums had a more solid "heart" and far more distinguised concept. People seem to confuse versatility and complexity with good songwriting. This one is more stylish and fresh but it lacks depth and content imo. Also, Jeremy seems to borrow way too much things "as they are" from other styles without filtering them and this results in a deja vouz feeling I didnt experience with the other albums. And honestly some of his compositions are plain monotonous. I sense that he approaches music a bit superficialy and he is the "style over substance" kind of artist.

Also, there was much variety in her vocals both in MCE and Gourmandises. Decollage isnt new, she tried a similar style in Mon Maqquis in a much more succesful way. She isnt that good when trying to stretch her voice and its the first time in that track I find her vocals somewhat unpleasant. Its better to sing in your more suitable keys than trying to display flexibility. She just loses that soothing effect with fast and high pitch singing. Also, her vocie had a much greater effect on me in her previous ones. Could be a production thing but her vocals were more flourishing and rich.

Anyway, I think its a good album with some quite interesting tracks but I would hesitate to call her previous ones shallow, and worse than this one.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hi
basically this one is HER first album, previous ones were produced by farmer/boutonnat including choreography, clothes, shoes, make up, haircut etc...
she had the opportunity to choose things she really liked and I really appreciate it
the one is the first post Lolita CD, the puppet has cut the strings and proves the world she's able to run her carrier by herself
so, great work
cheers
btw, never heard of a song called "mon maquis", is it about corsica?