Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
You aren't too far from Middle Earth. Have you ever been there? (I mean New Zealand if you don't know lol).
Yes! A few times actually, my parents were both born there and moved to Australia after getting married. Many of my extended family (cousins, aunts/uncles etc.) live in NZ.

My Sister who travels a lot is temporarily working in Auckland until she can get a flight back here once Covid restrictions are relaxed. The family owns a shack on the Coromandel, a small peninsula on the North Island. It's near were some of Narnia in fact was filmed, this place most notably that I visited 6-7 years ago:

My parents threw around the idea of going to Hobbiton on our last trip but it never happened unfortunately :/
I've never been to the south island where most of LOTR was filmed, though I've seen it from the plane when coming into Wellington and the mountainous landscape is quite spectacular.
Is it a place you've ever been to or hope to visit?
Old 06-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Just for grins I looked up the distance (as the crow flies) from my city to Taz and it is almost 10K miles, almost half the circumference of the earth. It most likely is the furthest civilized destination that exists from here. That whole area of the world would be fascinating to explore (including NZ).
Old 06-25-2020, 12:24 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
It's near were some of Narnia in fact was filmed, this place most notably that I visited 6-7 years ago:

I didn't know Narnia was filmed there too! :O

Quote:
My parents threw around the idea of going to Hobbiton on our last trip but it never happened unfortunately :/
What a pity. I hope you manage to visit the Shire.

Quote:
Is it a place you've ever been to or hope to visit?
I've never been there but it is among those places that I would like to visit one day. But it is a bit too far from here. You will probably visit it before me lol. So make sure to post some photos if you ever go there.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Just for grins I looked up the distance (as the crow flies) from my city to Taz and it is almost 10K miles, almost half the circumference of the earth. It most likely is the furthest civilized destination that exists from here. That whole area of the world would be fascinating to explore (including NZ).
Not quite the furthest from Ohio, the furthest based on this map would be Madagascar, or maybe Antarctica. Still a very large distance from Tassie (what Australians generally use as slang for Tasmania) though.
In regards to France, New Zealand is the furthest away, almost directly opposite, with Tasmania or at least the east coast of Australia also being very far apart.

If I remember to do so I'll make a more detailed post about my home town/state with pictures and such, I believe there's a thread dedicated to that sort of thing already, keep an eye out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
I've never been there but it is among those places that I would like to visit one day. But it is a bit too far from here. You will probably visit it before me lol. So make sure to post some photos if you ever go there.
New Zealand looks to be the furthest substantial piece of land away from Italy based on the map above, so quite a distance yes!
Not sure I have any photos on me right now but if I looked around I could probably find some from a past trip, hopefully I'll remember to let you know if/when I go there again