Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 03:53 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road
Post Alizee and football/soccer

Her local team AC Ajaccio have a chance of being promoted to the first division if/when the season resumes. They're currently third place which means if they finished there they'd have to win a playoff match to get into Ligue One. I wonder if she ever goes to their games every now and then, though it makes sense if she'd rather stay away from any journalists or media personnel potentially at the match.

It's no surprise she's a fan of Zidane being a fan of the national team in the 90s, and 2000s. Though as an Arsenal myself I've wondered if she has a soft spot for the Premier League club with the French connection established under Wenger. For those unfamiliar, during the late 90s and early 2000s Arsenal were one of the 2 best teams in England (alongside Manchester United) winning the league 3 times in 1998, 2002 and 2004. At the time Arsene Wenger was the coach, and Thierry Henry became our highest ever goal scorer, both of whom are French as well as other legendary players in the squad such as Vieira and Pires. In 2003/04 the team became the first and only team to go undefeated over the course of a full season, earning the nickname 'Invincibles'. Henry is also the top scorer for the French National team.

The French connection is still there with our 3 most expensive signings all having played in France, 2 of which were signed directly from French teams, and there are several other players we've signed from France in the current squad. Our current manager also played in France in the early 2000s.

Obviously Alizee probably doesn't follow the Premier League at all but if she were to choose a favourite team I imagine it might be Arsenal. This is all just hypothetical, I would love it if she were to choose the Gunners as her English team, but it's also good to see she's loyal to her local club and the national team. It's payed off in France winning the most recent world cup, let's hope Ajaccio get promoted and can compete in Ligue One.

Edit: The French government has ended the season due to Covid, and only the top 2 teams in Ligue 2 have been promoted, meaning 3rd place Ajaccio will miss out on promotion by just 1 point and remain in Ligue 2. Incredibly unfortunate for the local team, there are some talks of teams taking legal action against the decision to end the season but I think changing that now is unlikely. Hopefully Ajaccio can push for promotion next season.

This was a bit of a weird ramble, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Ben.Daly; 05-01-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Old 04-27-2020, 09:14 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

I took a brief look at Alizée's IG profile and apparently she doesn't follow any football-related account...
We know she used to play football with her brother and I might have read on this forum that her father is a fan of Olympique de Marseille. Also, there are some photos that shows her interest in the national team.
And most importantly, she played as playmaker for Fc Ajaccio, leading the team to Champions League! Unfortunately she retired after that and the team was relegated to the second division.

Ok, maybe... Um... No.

Anyway, I presume she has always been a football fan.
But I don't know whether she watches every match of her club or she likes watching something every now and then.
If you ask me, I think she is an occasional fan that probably prefers playing to watching .
As for Arsenal, she may know the club. I think it is the most notable foreign club for a French football fan, because, as you said, French players have had an important role in its history. Giroud also played for Arsenal some years ago and she knows him because he won the World cup.
Another Premier League team which has had many French players is Newcastle FC but I don't think she knows it.

I remember there is a photo where Alizée is holding a ball and, if I'm not mistaken, it was signed by the players of the national team. I think it is from 2013 or so. Later I'll see if I can find it.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:36 AM

I think she mentioned Giroud when being interviewed ahead of a game against Finland in 2013, and Giroud was playing for Arsenal at the time, but yeah he'd moved to Chelsea by the time of the 2018 World Cup.
She probably follows the local team quite casually, guess it's hard to know though. I did hear that she was invited to kick off a match for Ajaccio in 2006 but can't find any pictures or detailed articles about.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Her local team Ajaccio FC have a chance of being promoted to the first division if/when the season resumes. They're currently third place which means if they finished there they'd have to win a playoff match to get into Ligue One. I wonder if she ever goes to their games every now and then, though it makes sense if she'd rather stay away from any journalists or media personnel potentially at the match.

It's no surprise she's a fan of Zidane being a fan of the national team in the 90s, and 2000s. Though as an Arsenal myself I've wondered if she has a soft spot for the Premier League club with the French connection established under Wenger. For those unfamiliar, during the late 90s and early 2000s Arsenal were one of the 2 best teams in England (alongside Manchester United) winning the league 3 times in 1998, 2002 and 2004. At the time Arsene Wenger was the coach, and Thierry Henry became our highest ever goal scorer, both of whom are French as well as other legendary players in the squad such as Vieira and Pires. In 2003/04 the team became the first and only team to go undefeated over the course of a full season, earning the nickname 'Invincibles'. Henry is also the top scorer for the French National team.

The French connection is still there with our 3 most expensive signings all having played in France, 2 of which were signed directly from French teams, and there are several other players we've signed from France in the current squad. Our current manager also played in France in the early 2000s.

Obviously Alizee probably doesn't follow the Premier League at all but if she were to choose a favourite team I imagine it might be Arsenal. This is all just hypothetical, I would love it if she were to choose the Gunners as her English team, but it's also good to see she's loyal to her local club and the national team. It's payed off in France winning the most recent world cup, let's hope Ajaccio get promoted and can compete in Ligue One.

This was a bit of a weird ramble, what do you guys think?
In this interview she talks about her local team Ajaccio FC. You can see about it here 11:00-11:38
(I added subtitles so you have an English translation)

Old 04-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Obviously Alizee probably doesn't follow the Premier League at all but if she were to choose a favourite team I imagine it might be Arsenal.
Arsenal was my favourite team when I lived in England as a teenager. So...I’d love to think that Alizée is an Arsenal supporter. As for American football, let’s hope she loves those Patriots!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I think Jo is may be a big Arsenal fan, for if i'm remembering correctly, he quite frequently posted IG pics and IG stories related to the club.

Last edited by RedRafe; 04-28-2020 at 01:01 AM..
Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 AM

I found this image, it's from 2016 (June I think) and is from a charity event related to the club Lille, who coincidentally are the club that Arsenal signed Nicolas Pepe from last summer for 72 million pounds.
I'd assume the signatures are from Lille players, but could be wrong about that. There may be another photo from 2013.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

No, I was referring to this very photo. I thought it was from an event related to the national team.
Now I don't know if there was also an event in 2013 and I'm mixing up everything. Anyway, thanks for the photo!
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Tags
ajaccio, arsenal, football, soccer, zidane