Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajue View Post
I really see the "Julia Project" as a bust. She doesn't have that *umph* which Alizée has. Julia has a better live voice, but Alizée is better in everything else. Julia is a good looking girl but is the generic blonde, but on the other hand Prime Alizée was legitimately like a real life version of those great beauties from Mediterranean mythology. Julia tried to dance on stage, but she looked really stiff and it didn't draw any attention. Alizée on the other hand danced so fluidly, and even when she didn't have a dance routine,she had that stage presence and "wiggle" she does. Alizée just had certain charm that came so naturally. A certain mixture of innocence-sexiness that makes her Alizée.
Alizee has a huge personality and is a big part of her x-factor. Her dancing ability and flexibility was something that Mylene took advantage of. Alizee had good reasons to feel confident on stage. Julia on the other hand looked terrified on that first SEXTO video in front of a live audience to the point where it was hard to watch. She has since posted some videos on Instagram where she tries to be more playful and less uptight. These started showing up a month or so before the release of her album earlier this year. After it was delayed because of covid, she has been pretty silent.

You might have seen the below video, but maybe not. Alizee is 17 and is full of life. It just looks so natural for her.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N6Q...ew?usp=sharing
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM

BroKenSkullDG is on a distinguished road

When comparing Julia to Alizée, it is pretty clear that she can't live up to her. I sometimes wonder just how high Mylène and Laurent's expectation in her were. If they expected Julia to become the "next Alizée" - like people generally seem to assume, then yeah, she has failed them so far. But if not, if they are just trying to help out someone young to kickstart a career, then maybe those comparisons between the two are somewhat unfair. When SEXTO was released, it only charted on #28 on the French Charts and dropped out just 2 weeks later. From my understanding they didn't start production on the Album after that so their expectations cannot have been that high going in. Alizée's success came during a different time. What is going to be interesting is whether or not Julia manages to stay around without MF and LB. Maybe she can still turn things around, maybe not, maybe she picks up a useful skill from these two, like songwriting. The years 2000 - 2004 clearly had a lasting impact on Alizée's career, one that the ten years that followed didn't manage to live up to, no matter how much any of us supports her. It really is a shame that the French population gave up on her, post Lolita. I wonder what things would be like now, if they hadn't? I don't think it matters much that Alizée has a large international following - which is pretty scattered across the world - if she doesn't have the same backing in her home country, in which her music would need to do well in order for her to notice people's interest in her if she ever plans on picking her music career back up. Which I do hope happens - with - or without Mylène.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I tend to agree with you that Mylene knows her career days are numbered. She is not far from sixty, and look what happened to Madonna's career when she hit that age milestone. Her concert venues had to get smaller and has some chronic health issues. She has been desperately seeking attention to stay relevant. I think Mylene would want to retire from making albums and touring while still on top, still looking and feeling good. I could be wrong, but the writing seems to be on the wall. Her last two or three albums haven't done well as far as sales.

I think an Alizee/Mylene duet would do very well. An album together would even be better. Alizee probably has a more international following than Mylene, but needs a boost in her home country. It could be a win for both.

I had posted in another thread that I now feel Julia will be a bust. There was something in the launch of Julia's career that lacked. It was too slow. They let SEXTO get stale before the next video. Now we are almost two years since the release of SEXTO and still no album. Julia had some early momentum, but interest looks to be on the decline.

I believe it was before 2017 when Alizee said she would put her music career on hold. I think it was not long after Blonde flopped, but don't quote me on that. Maybe another member might know. It was 2018 when it looked like Alizee wanted to restart her singing. She changed her Instagram profile to include singing and she was trying to get a few concerts in Mexico going along with a fashion show. I'm not sure what the fashion show was about, but now that Annily had expressed in an interview that she wants to be a fashion designer as a career, whether Alizee would have brought Annily along to Mexico?
Madonna touring in smaller venues was actually a deliberate decision - she expressed interest in doing something smaller in scale and more personal in an Interview several years ago.

Mylène's latest Albums actually did really well in terms of sales, maybe not in comparison to her earlier work but she's definitely doing better than most other artists. Her latest Album was even called her best in a decade so I think that her writing is still top notch, even if it all has that been there - done that feel to it. But her Fans clearly don't seem to mind. She's pretty untouchable by now I think.

... Maybe Alizée is looking to pick music back up eventually. I mean she did go to all the effort of performing a few Songs in Poland only a few short months after Maggy's birth. So she's clearly jumping for the opportunity. Not to mention that uprise in activity in recent years around her anniversarys. In 2018 the re-release of Gourmandises and MCE, later that year the Remix Album, last July the Instrumental Albums and this May the Remastered En Concert and the aforementioned Live Performances in 2018 and earlier this year.

Last edited by BroKenSkullDG; 06-03-2020 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKenSkullDG View Post
... Maybe Alizée is looking to pick music back up eventually. I mean she did go to all the effort of performing a few Songs in Poland only a few short months after Maggy's birth. So she's clearly jumping for the opportunity. Not to mention that uprise in activity in recent years around her anniversarys. In 2018 the re-release of Gourmandises and MCE, later that year the Remix Album, last July the Instrumental Albums and this May the Remastered En Concert and the aforementioned Live Performances in 2018 and earlier this year.
We sure hope so. Of course making an album is on a whole other level to doing some live gigs here and there. I can't imagine she would've had much of a practical role in the anniversary type re-releases you mentioned, probably just a small team of producers maybe alongside MF and/or LB that worked on it, perhaps Alizée had some input in regards to selecting certain songs.

It would be interesting to see what the motivation and inspiration behind making a new album would be other than the aforementioned desire to return purely for the sake of it. I can't imagine such an album racking up any groundbreaking numbers, though you'd hope it'd do better than UEDS for example, but that'd be difficult to predict. Either way I don't think she'd be too concerned by profits.
I suppose the experiences she's had getting re-married and having a 2nd child would provide some creative inspiration.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 AM

BroKenSkullDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
We sure hope so. Of course making an album is on a whole other level to doing some live gigs here and there. I can't imagine she would've had much of a practical role in the anniversary type re-releases you mentioned, probably just a small team of producers maybe alongside MF and/or LB that worked on it, perhaps Alizée had some input in regards to selecting certain songs.

It would be interesting to see what the motivation and inspiration behind making a new album would be other than the aforementioned desire to return purely for the sake of it. I can't imagine such an album racking up any groundbreaking numbers, though you'd hope it'd do better than UEDS for example, but that'd be difficult to predict. Either way I don't think she'd be too concerned by profits.
I suppose the experiences she's had getting re-married and having a 2nd child would provide some creative inspiration.
One can only hope. I wonder if Alizée and Mylène actually communicate with each other. In 2014, Alizée said she hadn't seen her in 10 years but then they worked together again in 2018 and it is pretty clear that Alizée has plenty of love and respect left for MF. Mylène herself stated in late 2018 that she occasionally stays in touch with Sting via E-Mail, someone she collaborated with on one Song. You'd think that she maintains some sort of contact with someone the likes of Alizée, given their history.

With the re-releases, it's just interesting that they come out once a year instead of all at once. It just comes across to me as stalling for time for something bigger. Or maybe I'm reading to much into nothing. I'm not really expecting anything at all for quite some time to come, on account of Maggy being just 6 Months old. I don't think she'll go to all the effort of recording something big right now, unless she does it from home or somewhere in else in Ajaccio.

Last edited by BroKenSkullDG; 06-03-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Old 06-03-2020, 12:11 PM
MMA Teen who was thunderstruck by Alizée

Kajue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post

If she does decide to release something new, its should probably be a single to test the waters. Alizée also really needs a good team to help with the production of the song. People who really understand her strengths and weakness, exploiting the strengths, and of course while stilling finding a way to it keep it true to what Alizée wants. I'd say they need to bring back some of the charm of her first two albums, while still having her as the main point of input.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:49 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I think there is only one thing that can save Alizee and that is Mylene Farmer. There is only one thing that all her failed albums had in common and that is Alizée. She's worked with some good artists and I think had some good songs, but I think what she has done with those songs has been her downfall.

So what we have left is Mylene it seems MF wants to do an album or two with another singer and that right now is Julia. Julia is a beautiful young lady with a great voice, sexy and all that but despite working with MF, things at this point, don't appear to be panning out though it's still early. Why? I have to think she lacks the "Je ne sais quoi" quality that Alizée has.

So if Julia's career fizzles, will Mylene then realize what set Alizée apart and will that make her want to work with her again?

Film at 11.