Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 06:19 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Alizée your favourite singer?

Hello, everyone!

The question is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll write a few more words to give a bit of context.

It seems a dumb question to ask in a forum devoted to her, especially now that her career has been in standby for a few years, but most of the old and newer threads show that members are struck especially by the person behind the singer; on the other hand, others are hypnotized by just her physical appearance or, above all, her culinary skills. What I mean is that in this forum we are all fans of Alizée, but each of us is attracted to one (or more) specific part of her persona. And her being a singer is sometimes just the common theme of everything or the pretext to know her.
This leads to the second reason why I ask this question: actually I don't know what to answer. I'm very attached to her and I don't know if I like her songs so much just because I find them beautiful or mainly because of who is behind the role of singer.
Also, when I think about other singers and bands I like that I could consider my favourite, I feel bad for her.
So what do you take in account when you choose (if it's the right word) your favourite singers? Does the person behind the artist have any importance in the process? Or is it something like "it's just the music that I listen to the most"?
Personally, for now, I have a classification where there are my favourite singers/bands and another one where there is only Alizée. And no, no playoffs.

I know we're talking about something that hasn't any rule and, anyway, nobody can criticize you for, but what if someone enters the room and asks you that question? :P

Last edited by Aragorn97; 09-01-2020 at 06:22 AM..
Old 09-01-2020, 07:24 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
Hello, everyone!

The question is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll write a few more words to give a bit of context.

It seems a dumb question to ask in a forum devoted to her, especially now that her career has been in standby for a few years, but most of the old and newer threads show that members are struck especially by the person behind the singer; on the other hand, others are hypnotized by just her physical appearance or, above all, her culinary skills. What I mean is that in this forum we are all fans of Alizée, but each of us is attracted to one (or more) specific part of her persona. And her being a singer is sometimes just the common theme of everything or the pretext to know her.
This leads to the second reason why I ask this question: actually I don't know what to answer. I'm very attached to her and I don't know if I like her songs so much just because I find them beautiful or mainly because of who is behind the role of singer.
Also, when I think about other singers and bands I like that I could consider my favourite, I feel bad for her.
So what do you take in account when you choose (if it's the right word) your favourite singers? Does the person behind the artist have any importance in the process? Or is it something like "it's just the music that I listen to the most"?
Personally, for now, I have a classification where there are my favourite singers/bands and another one where there is only Alizée. And no, no playoffs.

I know we're talking about something that hasn't any rule and, anyway, nobody can criticize you for, but what if someone enters the room and asks you that question? :P

Good idea for a thread Aragorn

As to the main question, she is by far my favourite singer and only one I really follow at all. To be honest outside of Alizée I don't listen to much music other than whatever randomly comes along when browsing sites like YouTube and Tik Tok, etc. In that case if I enjoy the music that's all their is to it, I'd never feel compelled to analyse the lyrics or find out too much about the singer/band. Most of the time I'd rather listen to a podcast than an album or playlist.
Hopefully you all have a more acquired music taste as I could talk about how much I enjoy Alizée but don't have much else of a reference to judge it

For Alizée it was different as it was just everything, all at once, and completely unexpected. From the first video (Tubes d'un jour) the music, dancing, physical appearance and mysterious element with the French language were the first things that caught my attention. If any one of those 4 things were not present I'm not sure it would've gotten the same reaction out of me, it's hard to say though. I've never had anything close to that sort of reaction to a single piece of media, immediately I knew it was significant and wrote on a notepad on my computer the date and estimated time of day.

If I had just stumbled across the audio of, just a random example here, Mon Taxi Driver, even if I enjoyed the song it likely wouldn't have been enough for me to find out who this singer was.

Right now Alizée is front and centre, I've never been close to following an artist to this degree, not that I'm the most obsessed fan ever. There's creators, sports personalities and other figures I take interest in, but it's not really anything more than that.

Similar to what you said Aragorn, Alizée is just another level above anyone else.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Your questions are pretty heavy to answer so early in the morning here. Maybe I should get more coffee and tackle this later. But I will try.

Alizee actually is my favorite singer. Also my favorite dancer. And favorite lots of things. But is her music my favorite? No, but among my favorites.

There are people in my life that I love that have special value, such as my kids, parents, siblings, friends and significant others. I can't and don't rank them because they all are important in their own way and add something unique to my life. Alizee is also a piece of the puzzle, adding significant value to my life in a way that I cannot explain.

I have several bands that I really enjoy listening to over the years and don't tire of. Once I turn their music off however, I don't think of them until the next time I want to listen to their music. I don't get mixed up in their lives, talk about them or join their fan clubs. For bands or singers that are not among my favorites, I might be attracted to listen to them because of their voice or the music is catchy or it just sounding good at the time because of my mood.

I guess Alizee is in a silo in that I don't compare her to anybody else and she has no competition. She is in a whole other category by herself. I don't know what the process was from the first time I watched JEAM to now to get her there, but she is. Maybe after a little more coffee I might figure it out.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

She is a part of my family.
They are all my family.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
............ most of the old and newer threads show that members are struck especially by the person behind the singer; on the other hand, others are hypnotized by just her physical appearance or, above all, her culinary skills. What I mean is that in this forum we are all fans of Alizée, but each of us is attracted to one (or more) specific part of her persona. And her being a singer is sometimes just the common theme of everything or the pretext to know her.

To be sure she is my favorite singer. Would she be if it wasn't for the extra qualities of her beauty, her charm, her dancing? I'd have to say no.

I spoke not to long ago about the song "Dance Monkey". When I first heard the song I really enjoyed it. I added it to the playlist in my car and I listened to it on a regular basis, but at that point I had no idea who the singer was. She had sort of a strange voice and I tried to picture what she looked like and I wondered if I should look her up or not on the net. Eventually I did and well let's just say "Tones", is no beauty queen and I stopped listening to the song. Maybe that makes me shallow Scruffydog, but the image can add so much to a song.

If Alizee looked like Tones, would any of us be here? I think not. Maybe that's a sad state of affairs, but it's reality.

The person inside too is such an important factor. If Alizée had the personality, the public vocalness of Madonna but still had all her other qualities, I'm sure I wouldn't be here.

The whole package is what makes Alizée unique, what makes her stand out. To be sure there are those who are only interested in her beauty and sexiness, but I think the reason so many fans have stuck around for so long is nobody can bring to the table what Alizée does.

She has so many good qualities, yet if you take away only one of those qualities, no matter which one it is, you lose so much. It's rare to see so much that we enjoy in people all wrapped up in one person, but that's what you have with Alizée.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
As to the main question, she is by far my favourite singer and only one I really follow at all. To be honest outside of Alizée I don't listen to much music other than whatever randomly comes along when browsing sites like YouTube and Tik Tok, etc. In that case if I enjoy the music that's all their is to it, I'd never feel compelled to analyse the lyrics or find out too much about the singer/band. Most of the time I'd rather listen to a podcast than an album or playlist.
Hopefully you all have a more acquired music taste as I could talk about how much I enjoy Alizée but don't have much else of a reference to judge it
This is a fascinating prospective. She's your favourite singer because she's the only one that was able to make music an important part of your life in a certain way (I mean, a part from the obvious, music is everywhere). I think music is the type of art that more easily reaches our feelings, so that is a great merit Alizée has from my point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post

If I had just stumbled across the audio of, just a random example here, Mon Taxi Driver, even if I enjoyed the song it likely wouldn't have been enough for me to find out who this singer was.
This is another interesting matter... Destiny? I don't know if it's a good idea to add a philosophical question, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rien View Post
She is a part of my family.
They are all my family.
These are amazing things to say.

OK, I realized the post is going to be pretty long. You don't have to read it if you don't want to obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Your questions are pretty heavy to answer so early in the morning here. Maybe I should get more coffee and tackle this later. But I will try.

Alizee actually is my favorite singer. Also my favorite dancer. And favorite lots of things. But is her music my favorite? No, but among my favorites.

There are people in my life that I love that have special value, such as my kids, parents, siblings, friends and significant others. I can't and don't rank them because they all are important in their own way and add something unique to my life. Alizee is also a piece of the puzzle, adding significant value to my life in a way that I cannot explain.

I have several bands that I really enjoy listening to over the years and don't tire of. Once I turn their music off however, I don't think of them until the next time I want to listen to their music. I don't get mixed up in their lives, talk about them or join their fan clubs. For bands or singers that are not among my favorites, I might be attracted to listen to them because of their voice or the music is catchy or it just sounding good at the time because of my mood.

I guess Alizee is in a silo in that I don't compare her to anybody else and she has no competition. She is in a whole other category by herself. I don't know what the process was from the first time I watched JEAM to now to get her there, but she is. Maybe after a little more coffee I might figure it out.
By the way, she has recently become my favourite make-up artist lol. I didn't imagine I could have one. But there aren't many competitors there.

But you've got a point. I wouldn't say that Alizée's is my favourite music (I can't even distinguish two different genres but I don't think I listen to other music like hers, but actually I don't know) and this is where the problem is born. I have other artists that I like and that I've been obsessed with (some that are more recent and some that I've listened to since I was a kid). The problem is that a couple of this artists give me the impression that their music is the most close to my mind/heart (and there are some that I would consider important to me, mybe is this the problem for me?) and then there is Alizée, for whom it's, above all, HER what I feel close to my mind/heart. So I can't decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
To be sure she is my favorite singer. Would she be if it wasn't for the extra qualities of her beauty, her charm, her dancing? I'd have to say no.

I spoke not to long ago about the song "Dance Monkey". When I first heard the song I really enjoyed it. I added it to the playlist in my car and I listened to it on a regular basis, but at that point I had no idea who the singer was. She had sort of a strange voice and I tried to picture what she looked like and I wondered if I should look her up or not on the net. Eventually I did and well let's just say "Tones", is no beauty queen and I stopped listening to the song. Maybe that makes me shallow Scruffydog, but the image can add so much to a song.

If Alizee looked like Tones, would any of us be here? I think not. Maybe that's a sad state of affairs, but it's reality.

The person inside too is such an important factor. If Alizée had the personality, the public vocalness of Madonna but still had all her other qualities, I'm sure I wouldn't be here.

The whole package is what makes Alizée unique, what makes her stand out. To be sure there are those who are only interested in her beauty and sexiness, but I think the reason so many fans have stuck around for so long is nobody can bring to the table what Alizée does.

She has so many good qualities, yet if you take away only one of those qualities, no matter which one it is, you lose so much. It's rare to see so much that we enjoy in people all wrapped up in one person, but that's what you have with Alizée.
And, Scruffy, you also have a point and make me want to say another thing. I mean, I'll be more specific. I didn't feel comfortable about it, but you made it kinda easier. The first singer of the other classification I make (the one without Alizée) is Dua Lipa. I started to listen to her in 2017. You must know that I'm very lazy and easily obsessed with things (duh lol): I mean, I like (relatively) few things but I like them a lot (for example, The lord of the rings and pizza Margherita, if we talk about fantasy world and pizzas). So if I find an artist that I truly like, I always listen to the same songs that made me know them, but I'm too lazy to look for other songs (obviously Alizée is the only exception to this). So when I first saw Dua, I notice she was beautiful and that I liked her voice and so I started to listen to those 2-3 songs.
One day, 1 year and a half ago I think, I decided to make a cd to put in the car. I was undecided between Dua and Muse. Since I'm very secretive about Alizée, I told myself "This time everyone knows Dua, it wouldn't sound wierd". So I chose her and put all her songs in one playlist. So I discovered all her songs at once and I was struck by them. I basically like every song she made (and has recently made). Now, it was different from what happened with Alizée: Alizée was like an angel epiphany, I still remember my heart going faster. And then I couldn't stop looking for her songs and listening to them. As for Dua, ok she was beautiful and now I can even say that I care about her, but actually what made me develop an "obsession" for her was her music.
Now I would say that 90% of the songs I've been listening to since then are either Alizée's or Dua's (and I have many other artists that are among my favourites).
So now you know why I'm undecided. So, if you want an example:
Who would I put in CleverCowboy's silo*? If it depends only on the person, Alizée, no doubt. If it depends only on the music... I don't know. I even tried the thing of the coin (you know, flip a coin and you will know the answer before you grab it), but it didn't work lol. They are both part of CC's puzzle (you make very useful metaphors lol) in different ways.
But actually, I would feel terribly guilty for not letting
Alizée entering the silo... Does this make her my favourite singer? That's why I asked you if you consider the person behind the artist (and I'm happy to read what you all wrote).

By the way, I don't do it on purpose, I don't know why I always make these mental journeys. Forgive me lol

*did I understand well the silo thing? xD

Last edited by Aragorn97; 09-01-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Old 09-01-2020, 02:31 PM
MMA Teen who was thunderstruck by Alizée

Kajue is on a distinguished road

It depends on what aspect of singing we are talking about.

If we are talking about the technical vocal aspect, then no, she would not.

BUT, if we are talking about the performance and stage presence aspect, then that is a definite YES.

What makes her is her charm, dancing, beauty, and stage presence (and she has an absolutely massive stage presence for such a small person).
That's just what makes her, well, her. If you remove one of those qualities, then it isn't Alizée. I agree with Scruffy on that.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe. Kind of. Sort of. It was meant to be a word picture to describe Alizee's place in my life. She is "untouchable". My musical interests might keep evolving and I might discover new musical acts that I enjoy and listen to, but Alizee remains a constant and nobody will unseat her from the prominent role that she has reached. The only person that can affect how I see her is Alizee herself.

Scruffy had mentioned that taking one piece from Alizee's persona would be a major loss and I agree. She has the right combination of everything. But I should say that adding to her could have a negative effect as much as taking something away. I'm over it now, but I had one heck of a time dealing with her tattoos. I know she lost fans over them and while that was not enough for me to turn my back on her, I had to go through a period of adjustment. Now it is like I don't even notice them anymore. But I digress...

I don't see why Dua and Alizee cannot coexist in your life as they are without having to make a choice as to which one is your favorite. I did not know who Dua was, so I looked her up, and yes she is attractive but most important you like her music. If you choose to listen to Dua over Alizee, that's OK too. In a year or two it might be somebody else.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:27 PM
MMA Teen who was thunderstruck by Alizée

Kajue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is a fascinating prospective. She's your favourite singer because she's the only one that was able to make music an important part of your life in a certain way (I mean, a part from the obvious, music is everywhere). I think music is the type of art that more easily reaches our feelings, so that is a great merit Alizée has from my point of view.

This is another interesting matter... Destiny? I don't know if it's a good idea to add a philosophical question, too.

These are amazing things to say.

OK, I realized the post is going to be pretty long. You don't have to read it if you don't want to obviously.

By the way, she has recently become my favourite make-up artist lol. I didn't imagine I could have one. But there aren't many competitors there.

But you've got a point. I wouldn't say that Alizée's is my favourite music (I can't even distinguish two different genres but I don't think I listen to other music like hers, but actually I don't know) and this is where the problem is born. I have other artists that I like and that I've been obsessed with (some that are more recent and some that I've listened to since I was a kid). The problem is that a couple of this artists give me the impression that their music is the most close to my mind/heart (and there are some that I would consider important to me, mybe is this the problem for me?) and then there is Alizée, for whom it's, above all, HER what I feel close to my mind/heart. So I can't decide.

And, Scruffy, you also have a point and make me want to say another thing. I mean, I'll be more specific. I didn't feel comfortable about it, but you made it kinda easier. The first singer of the other classification I make (the one without Alizée) is Dua Lipa. I started to listen to her in 2017. You must know that I'm very lazy and easily obsessed with things (duh lol): I mean, I like (relatively) few things but I like them a lot (for example, The lord of the rings and pizza Margherita, if we talk about fantasy world and pizzas). So if I find an artist that I truly like, I always listen to the same songs that made me know them, but I'm too lazy to look for other songs (obviously Alizée is the only exception to this). So when I first saw Dua, I notice she was beautiful and that I liked her voice and so I started to listen to those 2-3 songs.
One day, 1 year and a half ago I think, I decided to make a cd to put in the car. I was undecided between Dua and Muse. Since I'm very secretive about Alizée, I told myself "This time everyone knows Dua, it wouldn't sound wierd". So I chose her and put all her songs in one playlist. So I discovered all her songs at once and I was struck by them. I basically like every song she made (and has recently made). Now, it was different from what happened with Alizée: Alizée was like an angel epiphany, I still remember my heart going faster. And then I couldn't stop looking for her songs and listening to them. As for Dua, ok she was beautiful and now I can even say that I care about her, but actually what made me develop an "obsession" for her was her music.
Now I would say that 90% of the songs I've been listening to since then are either Alizée's or Dua's (and I have many other artists that are among my favourites).
So now you know why I'm undecided. So, if you want an example:
Who would I put in CleverCowboy's silo*? If it depends only on the person, Alizée, no doubt. If it depends only on the music... I don't know. I even tried the thing of the coin (you know, flip a coin and you will know the answer before you grab it), but it didn't work lol. They are both part of CC's puzzle (you make very useful metaphors lol) in different ways.
But actually, I would feel terribly guilty for not letting
Alizée entering the silo... Does this make her my favourite singer? That's why I asked you if you consider the person behind the artist (and I'm happy to read what you all wrote).

By the way, I don't do it on purpose, I don't know why I always make these mental journeys. Forgive me lol

I don't think you need to get yourself worked up over it. Just listen to whoever you want to, you can admire both and have a special place in your heart for Alizée too, so if it's confusing, as we say in Chicago, "forget about it!"
Old 09-01-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post

I don't see why Dua and Alizee cannot coexist in your life as they are without having to make a choice as to which one is your favorite. I did not know who Dua was, so I looked her up, and yes she is attractive but most important you like her music. If you choose to listen to Dua over Alizee, that's OK too. In a year or two it might be somebody else.
Hmm, you're right... Actually, I like to have another person to follow besides Alizée: it is as having a point of reference. The thing is that I've always had one single favourite artist at a time, and the "choice" has always been innate. And now this dualism is a different situation. Perhaps I made it sound too serious. It's just that I tend to "organize" certain thoughts, especially when it is about something I care a lot. But there is Alizée that messes everything up. I guess time will tell and yes, the silo you were talking about is for Alizée.
I don't talk about this kind of things anywhere else so I tend to let myself go and emphasize things here. I hope I don't bore you too much, guys.
Now that I think about it, the coexistence of both of them on the same level is nice... It's like the Sun and the Moon. Both fascinating in their own way.

And I'm still keen on hearing what other members have to say about their favourite artist(s)!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajue View Post
I don't think you need to get yourself worked up over it. Just listen to whoever you want to, you can admire both and have a special place in your heart for Alizée too, so if it's confusing, as we say in Chicago, "forget about it!"
Yeah, I don't have problems to choose who to listen to (that's something lol), it's more like a "need of organization" in my head. I think I'll follow your advice.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 09-01-2020 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts