Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibyPrime View Post
Edit: I just read the lyrics to the song (I'm suprised I actually remembered the song /cringe at blondie). It quite obviously referrences masterbation..
Not Blondie...Divinyls.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:28 PM

I <3 Zombies is on a distinguished road
Angry This pisses me off!

Ok, a lot of the words that they were saying the lyrics stated I didn't understand... So I looked them up, just to find that they weren't in the DAMN DICTIONARY, WHAT THE HELL!!! You can't really claim someone is saying something if the words you are using don't exist! Those damn perverts!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:55 AM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
It's not a smart ass response. It's just a short one.

Put another/longer way...
Poetry and music paint pictures in your mind. They don't just tell you what the artist is trying to say, they show you. When Elliott Smith sings about a "skinny Santa selling something to me," he's not actually talking about a guy in a Santa suit, he's talking about a heroin dealer. Not every songwriter is as literal as Fred Durst.

It seems silly for people to expect Mylene to write a song that explicitly talks about masturbation. If she wants to talk about that, she'll do it in metaphor.

Personally, I don't really care what JEAM is about. I can't understand the lyrics anyway. But some people act like Alizée singing about masturbation is like spitting on Jesus, or something. You guys know it doesn't make you go blind, right??
erm, I dont have a problem with songs about masterbation, I just don't see where it is used.

If someone is painting 5 different pictures in my mind, with no indication of what is being implied, then I'm probably missing something.. This is what I am asking for clarification on! Like what lines refer to what and so on.. If none wants to do it thats fine, I'll wait until I can understand french a little better
Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibyPrime View Post
If someone is painting 5 different pictures in my mind, with no indication of what is being implied, then I'm probably missing something.. This is what I am asking for clarification on! Like what lines refer to what and so on.. If none wants to do it thats fine, I'll wait until I can understand french a little better
I can toss up a transaltion of what the analysis says tomorrow so you can see what is being associated with the lyrics but most of it is far fetched. At first I wasn't 100 percent sure not knowing if it was more plausible in French French than in Canadian French but aFrenchie found it far fetched too. I mean literally the lyrics say nothing and the analysis tries to say the song is blatently about masturbation, and while I think there might be hints of it, its not to the level indicated. With the translation you'll see better how at times the analysis is really reaching in its conclusions, but with enough imagination you can make up meanings for anything.
And for those of you uptight about a song that might possibly hint about masterbating being marketed to children, children do not contain the necessary semantic information to understand anything but the literal meaning of the lyrics themselves. I should have never started this thread...
Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

rwd716 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
You guys know it doesn't make you go blind, right??
Thanks for the info DJ. I can rest at ease now, lol
Old 10-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Wow I missed a lot. Can anyone tell me in short what is the final outcome of the analysis of the song. From the English version I can see none of this.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I agree with alot of what DJ_Greg has been saying. First guys, keep in mind that the "official" English version, I'm Fed Up, is not the same lyrically as the French original. That means you've got to look at some translations if you don't understand French, and preferably more than one translation because no single go at the song will yield every single nuance from French to English. Some good translations to look at are the ones here, the one on alizee-fanpage.com, and the one on mf-international.com. From those I think it's pretty obvious that the song isn't only about masturbation, but that is one of the things alluded to (just look at the last verse). You've got to listen to the song too, it's not all in the lyrics but in the sounds (the "oui"s, etc.), and watch the videos. I mean, just the goldfish for example - it's a bit weird to be taking a bath with a Fish, so clearly this is a metaphor for several things. I think the sexual connotation is fairly obvious, though of course it's not the only one because there's also the expression someone says when they feel trapped and scrutinized: "I feel like a goldfish in a bowl". I think that's what the official video is mostly about: Alizée is the goldfish, in her glass cage, being watched by us her audience / the camera. I've always taken the throwing of the still camera to be a reference to paparazzi.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Only Americans get bent over sexual overtones when it comes to music or movies. Compare USA to rest of the world... USA is mostly christain conservative and so uptight when it comes to sex

Come to Las Vegas, we will change your conservative ways, lol

Alizee, help us Americans become more sexually in tune with France, lol
Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Alizee, help us Americans become more sexually in tune with France, lol
She already is, but it would be better if she can come here and do it.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

For those of you still bothered by this, here is a bad translation (Alizée is translated to Geostrophic, lol ) of the first page I linked in the thread, didn't see the point in spending the time to translate it better, a lot is lost in translation but you should be able to see why it was described as far fetched and inacurrate. http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

And here is a link to a better translation and more reasonable analysis of the song. Which discusses issues like it sounds like it is sung as poisson rouge (red fish/goldfish) but is actually poisson bouge in the CD booklet (It is I checked). And how French idiomatic phrases can be interpreted differently, like deux balles can be meant to mean two balls, or two francs which in pre Euro days meant really cheap, low quality.
http://www.mf-international.com/view...156c3dbb5bcc11

Clilcking on Alizée Transalations will also bring up other translations and discussions found here http://www.mf-international.com/viewforum.php?f=8