Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 AM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

How can a tattoo company can sued over a tattoo of character. That would mean hardly anyone anywhere would have tats of movie characters and what not. And that's obviously not the case, since I see those all the time.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
This feels like a pretty dumb question, but here we go -

Since Alizee has Sailor Moon and several other characters tattooed onto her arm, if they were visible in future music videos, would her team have to ask the people who own the rights to those characters permission before releasing said videos? Or would it not count because they're tattoos..?
They should pay Alizee instead for promoting those characters for free!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

It's different for personal use. Most people are not using the images in a commercial capacity. Alizee clearly has Sailor Moon on an album cover though. She either got cleared for permission or yeah, they could get in trouble.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 AM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Until anyone can give an example of a singer being sued for a tattoo, all you are doing is talking science-fiction.

Rappers, rockers, heavy-metal singers --> all clear
Petite french singer with a couple of tattoos --> Call the lawyers!!!!

lol
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

No one is saying she is going to get sued. Her record label isn't stupid, and I'm sure they're aware of laws. All you have to do is contact the publisher of the image for permission. The difference with a celebrity vs. a normal person is their tattoo of a copyrighted image is being used in content that makes them money. Normal people aren't in the public eye and aren't profiting off of their tats. It's considered an advertisement and companies want their cut.

"Yes, it’s possible to get sued over the copyright on a tattoo. Ask Rasheed Wallace, the now-retired NBA All-Star. In 1998 Wallace had an Egyptian-themed tattoo—showing a pharaoh, his queen, and their three children—inked onto his right upper arm by tattoo artist Matthew Reed. In 2004 Reed saw Wallace in a Nike TV commercial in which the tattoo was re-created via computer simulation while the basketball player explained its significance. Affronted that he’d received neither credit nor money, Reed sued Wallace, Nike, and the ad agency for publicly displaying what he claimed was his copyrighted work (the tattoo) without his consent. The parties evidently settled out of court."

I looked it up though and it looks like Sailor Moon (the comic) is out of print and currently unlicensed. Doesn't mean it's public domain, though, there are just currently no companies that have the licenses to distribute it. It defaults to the original owner. I don't know about the Tinkerbell or Snow White though. These companies, including Sony, have tons of lawyers.

So, is it possible that she and Sony could get sued if they didn't have permission to use copyrighted images in her album covers and videos? Yes, but the company/artist has to be notified in the first place. I mean they don't go searching for people who have used a copyrighted image of theirs, but there is a thing called word of mouth.

So yeah, it's extremely unlikely. Maybe if Sony was making like millions of dollars from her albums and videos. But if you think companies don't sue over copyright, you're delusional. It happens ALL the time.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianO1 View Post
How can a tattoo company can sued over a tattoo of character. That would mean hardly anyone anywhere would have tats of movie characters and what not. And that's obviously not the case, since I see those all the time.
Its illegal to recreate a licensed logo or character as a Tattoo or anything else that you dont have permission to do. The reason why you see so many of them is because Tattoo places do it to make money.

In the case of Alizee, she is not just another person...she is using her IMAGE to sell her music to make money.

Soooo if she puts a licensed image that EVERYONE loves...on the cover of her album, people may think Disney approves of this and buy her album. Disney does not want to hurt there image, so they sue...it's as easy as that....

Disney does not care about you and me who might have a Disney Tattoo...they will go after the people who make the money....the Tattoo parlor or the person making money off of showing the Tattoo off to sell more CD's.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
Until anyone can give an example of a singer being sued for a tattoo, all you are doing is talking science-fiction.

Rappers, rockers, heavy-metal singers --> all clear
Petite french singer with a couple of tattoos --> Call the lawyers!!!!

lol
Guy sues Hang Over 2 Movie for use of his image as a Tattoo.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...hangover_2.php

Last edited by Mon Maquis; 08-17-2012 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM
For me... formidable

Exactly, not a single example of a singer being sued... I did talk before about Rasheed Wallace, he is not a singer, and he had a problem about the copyright of the design of his tattoo, it has nothing to do with commercial use.
You have to be delusional to think that megastars, where millions of dollars are involved can get away with it but an unknown french singer which sells a few hundreds of copies could be sued...

If anything, Alizée would have to be paid for promoting Disneyland Paris, they know they need it.

Of course, anyone could get sued for everything, it happens all the time. In this picture Alizée could be sued by her hairdresser, by Disney, by the designer of the clothes she is wearing...
Oh and for the use of that font for the song titles!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Maquis View Post
Here is the answer on the Tattoos if it is licensed image. Alizee will only get sued if she is using it as a commercial product. Like on the album cover, you cans see Sailor Moon. Because now your using that image to promote your product to make money.

The real person who they will go after is Tin Tin for selling licensed image like Disney / Sailor Moon Tattoos for profit to make money. Another bad thing is he is taking licensed images and adding things to them like Guns. Now your giving Disney the ammo they need to say your taking licensed images and giving our product "Snow White" a bad image.

I know "Scruffy" does not like Tin Tin and it would be VERY damaging to him if someone notified Disney that he is selling Disney Tattoos to make money. I'm not telling anyone to DO that...but Disney would go after him in 2 seconds to protect there image...

For those of you who ask how I know this, I work for a Tattoo promotion company. Disney has gone after my ass many times, but I have the paperwork to prove they give me the license to use there image for there promotions. I assure you Tin Tin does not have this permission to do this.
Interesting. I could see Disney being unhappy over the Snow White tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
It's different for personal use. Most people are not using the images in a commercial capacity. Alizee clearly has Sailor Moon on an album cover though. She either got cleared for permission or yeah, they could get in trouble.
Very true, especially for the Disney designs. Disney DOES protect their characters, and their overall image, very carefully.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default Misc. Question

Who would have thought this is how I'd end up going deaf? Not working with air tools... Not helping a drag race team. Listening to a Corsican girl singing songs I can't understand way too loudly in the car. (I don't care about grammar.)

Edit - I'm not sure how I did with on/off topic compliance here, but one thing I love about AAm is that we don't really seem to care!

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 08-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Fear of forum police
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
For me... formidable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
Edit - I'm not sure how I did with on/off topic compliance here, but one thing I love about AAm is that we don't really seem to care!
Yes... Except maybe in the tattoo thread, where everytime there are new replies my mind starts thinking about what will be next... After the last two tattoos, I can't rule out anything...

Tags
chronology, dates, events, misc., questions, timeline