Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool JAM - did Alizée know?

Me and a co-worker are going to Alizée's concert in Paris next month. I figured if I was going to go to her concert, I would try and learn a couple of her songs that are written in French. I've learned 3 so far and hope to learn 3 more by the time of the show.
Way back in junior high school, We had 5 terms per year. I hated french class. Didn't apply myself at all. I flunked the first 2 terms and for the first time in school, I was in danger of having to go to summer school, if I flunked one more. In the third term, We had one last test near the end of the term. All I needed to pass was a 35%. I didn't bother studying and what did I get? A 30. Couldn't believe it. My teacher called me aside and said if I promised to apply myself, he'd give me a passing grade. Awesome! He did me a great favor and I was determined to reward his faith in me. I busted my butt studying at night. In the fourth term, I did so much better. I was really disappointed when the last test of the term was canceled because I was hoping to get my average up to an A. The last term of that year and then next year which was my final year of french, I studied hard and did very well. What I'm getting at, is because I applied myself so hard in that year and a half. I learned not a whole lot of words, but more importantly how their sentences are structured and a lot of the smaller words that are use so much in most of their language. Le, la les, de, des,au, aux, et,sur, si, moi tu, vous, etc which has been such an enormous help in trying to learn these songs. I found it's like riding a bike after years of not riding. The basics come quickly back to you.
As I'm sure a lot of you have noticed, There are several songs of hers that have a line or two which are difficult to interpret directly into english, but in order to try and learn her songs in French, you have to be able to understand pretty much every line of the song. If you find a line that doesn't make sense, you have do like I did and look up the meanings of each word, then read through the many interpretations that people have offered, then decide for yourself, which is right, or which is most believable, then turn all the lines into a story that you can easily remember. Only then is it possible learn the song in it's native language.
In trying to understand the story of J'en ai marre, I've read through numerous interpretations on different forums. Most seem to think it's about her just being in a bubble bath with her beloved gold fish. Some seem to think that she herself is a fish in a relationship with a gold fish. Something that would seem to be supported by the fact that at the point in the video where she is waving her arms behind her, she resembles a female fish laying eggs.
Then there is the interpretation by Anthony brought to our attention by Garconcanadien that speak of a relationship in much more Freudian terms.
Which kind of makes some sense when you look at some of the lines which don't make much sense otherwise. Plus you have to consider who wrote the songs, Mylene Farmer, who I've seen described on some web sites as being raunchy. I haven't seen enough of Mylene's material to be able to offer a qualified opinion of her. All I know is that a lot of the songs she wrote for Alizée are off the charts beautiful. But if these other opinions of Mylene are true, I think it's very possible that on the surface, Mylene wanted it to appear the song was about a relationship between Alizée and her gold fish, but deeper down, she was talking about what was going on with Alizée in the bath in Freudian terms.
The questions I'd like to ask here are, do you think there may be some truth in Anthony's interpretation of J'en ai marre and if you do believe this interpretation is correct, do you think Alizée knew about it?
I personally don't believe she did and I don't think she would have sung this song if she did know.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-28-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old 09-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Runner Simon is on a distinguished road

We'll Alizée said herself in a intreview that her song both had a childish and an adult interpetation.

But that's all I know.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Lili Addict

Idéaliser is on a distinguished road

I think at first she didn't, but later on she figured it out and that's what aided in the split <_<

Oh, and maybe you'll see some of us at the convert
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
A man in black

MonteCristo is on a distinguished road

well, she did moi lolita, so why not this song? besides, just because of its meaning, do you think it can come to mean less to the person? its a song, yes, its a symbol for the thoughts behind it, but it still is a song, and a song is nothing more than the work of an artist, just because mylene wrote it of one meaning doesnt mean alizee cant find another within that song, and maybe thats why she sang it, because the song came to mean something else to her. then again, she might have just sang it because it sounded nice, or sang it simply because it was there. I know i sing songs just because they sound pleasant, why not anyone else?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idéaliser View Post
I think at first she didn't, but later on she figured it out and that's what aided in the split <_<

Oh, and maybe you'll see some of us at the convert
Nah I think Alizée "got" it.

And I think the story was she split from MF and LB because she just wanted to create her own music with Jeremy.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 AM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Of course she got the double meanings in the song, she is not that naive/stupid/innocent.

Quote:
Then there is the interpretation by Anthony brought to our attention by Garconcanadien that speak of a relationship in much more Freudian terms.
Huh? It's about masturbation, not about "a relationship in Freudian terms".

http://www.moi-alizee.us/forums/show...3&postcount=40
Old 10-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Je suis l'Ouragan :O

Yaceman is on a distinguished road

Its possible that she did only see the innocent part, the relationship between her and her goldfish. (whats goldfish? Poisson doré?) Its probably not a matter of IF she saw the provocative connotation, its a matter of when. Im sure that during the making of the sexy JEAM video she made, she took a step back and saw herself and thought 'damn, im sexy'.

Last edited by Yaceman; 10-01-2008 at 03:38 AM..
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Roflolmfao
Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
A man in black

MonteCristo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Oh dear.....
Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Oh, for pete's sake...seriously? You could just as easily make an argument that the whole thing's an allegory for the Cuban Missle Crisis!

Not that I object to the idea of Lili double-clicking her mouse by any means, but c'mon...that theory reaches so ridiculously far at points, it's practically the love-child of Stretch Armstrong and Plastic Man. The vomit-inducing cucumbers symbolize what, now?

No offense, but...eesh.