Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool Alizee's Stalingrad!..Has the clock stopped ticking?

I wrote this thread a few days ago, but I've been holding off posting it, hoping to hear something more concrete from the Alizée camp, because it is based on the assumption that I think a lot of us have made, that the concert was canceled "mainly" due to low ticket sales.
So here's my thread and I'm sticking to it.

Back in May of this year, I started a thread I titled Alizée's Stalingrad. I'm posting a copy of it below for those who didn't see it. Below it, I'm posting one of the responses to it.

For those of you not familiar with the battle of Stalingrad, during WW2, the Russian army surrounded a large German army (about 250,000 men if my memory is correct) that had been laying siege to Stalingrad. Hitler refused to let them try to retreat back to Germany and relief troops could not break through to them. The Germans surrendered after losing many men to the the vast Russian army not to mention the harsh Russian winter. When the Russians had the Germans surrounded, they would play the sound of a ticking clock over the radio for psychological warfare purposes. Every few ticks of the clock, marking the death of another German soldier. So the ticks meant time was running out for the German army and in my thread too, I thought time was running out for Alizée. Stalingrad was probably the turning point in the war, and so too, I thought the Moscow concert would mark a turning point in her career.
OLD THREAD

Alizee's Stalingrad!

So Alizee has started her world tour. She looks like a house wife now. She sounds like a house wife now. It's just a question if she'll be able to sell off a bunch of her origionnal fans on her new "re-orchestrated music". You'd have better odds betting on the U.S. economy. Enjoy her while you can. I wish her the best, but I fear the worst. Tick, tick, tick.....

RESPONSE

"Why are you even here scruffy? All you do is create negative threads or hijack other ones so you can bash on Alizée. It would be one thing if she had already done her tour, but you keep saying the same things over and over as if you are hoping she has no success just because you don't like her style.

Not only have you repeated the same point you flamed other threads with, but you once again put in the extra effort to be as rude as you can with a point you could have made in one short sentence."

Why was I here? Because I desperately wanted her comeback to be a success. I heard her new album and watched her Moscow concert and was deeply disappointed. Not only wasn't her new material very good but she made the huge mistake of re-orchestrating all the tremendously beautiful music of her first two albums. I tried to look at her performances not from the perspective that so many of her fans have, that would wildly applaud her no matter how her songs sounded or how she looked, but from the perspective of someone who thought she needed to do something to bring in new fans and also bring back many of her former fans.

After the Moscow concert, I thought there was still time for her to make changes so I kept hammering away at her in these forums. I know my methods sucked, but I had to somehow try and get my message across. Anyone who in any way agreed with me was quickly attacked.

After the Mexico concert, I stopped criticizing her, mainly because at this point, I thought it was too late.. Several members in the Alizée-forum who also thought that changes should be made after Moscow, were told that their messages had been heard and the Mexico concerts would be different. If there were changes, they were few and hard to notice.I thought some of her songs were down right painful to listen to.I heard the excuses being made where people said the acoustics were terrible and they were recorded on amateurish equipment. I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that, but It was so obvious that it just wasn't that good. One of the reasons I was looking forward to attending this concert in Paris was I wanted to hear it for myself. No more trusting other people's opinions. I'd be finally able to judge it on my own.

But now the concert's been canceled and we are left to guess why as to the real reason. I am guessing, that it's due to poor ticket sales. I think a record company would rather cancel a concert than take the chance of looking bad by sponsoring one where half the seats are empty.They don't care about how much her fans have spent on airplane tickets or hotel reservations. Alizée, I'm sure cares but I don't think it was her decision to make.Two weeks ago, I was wondering how the sales were doing so I went on line to see if I could order more and it did show that they were still available which had me kind of worried.How could she not sell out a concert in a major city like Paris. A place she now calls home. It's only a mile away from the Olympia where she sold out 6 concerts in one week back in 2003. The tickets cost less than 40 euros, not expensive at all by todays standards. Why were her own countrymen so alienated against her? That's something I still don't understand.

Now she's supposedly negotiating a contract with another record company. Is there hope here?
I don't think so. I'm sure it's because her current company doesn't see much hope in her and some other company will give her a contract that's probably no where's near as good as her current one (and I'm sure not very costly) ,just for the sake if she hits it big again, they have a lot to gain.

Is there hope for Alizée? I don't think so. If she sang more of her songs from her first two albums in the way they were origionally orchestrated and presented her self in a way that would accentuate her beauty, not hide it,she could still fill up a lot of concert halls in a lot of countries, but unfortunately, I don't think this would be the case in France. France is where she has to do well.

What does she have to do to succeed in France. She needs some new music; very good music! Not songs like Lilly town, or Fifty/Sixty, which are good songs, but song like Moi Lolita, L'Alize,J'en ai marre. These are the type of songs that when you first hear them, they immediately grab your attention. The type of song that if you first heard it on the radio, you'd be calling that station asking "What"s the name of that song and who sang it and please play it again!" The type of songs you want to play over and over. It wont matter how she packages herself. She could look like the south end of a north bound hippopotamus, she could wear a burlap dress, flip flops, shower cap, cold cream on her face and curlers in her hair,but if the music is good, very good that is,the people will come. New fans, old fans, pissed off fans, alienated fans, French fans and foreign fans will all be storming the gates.

How can she get good music? That's the big question. Mylene Farmer and Laurent Bouranat I feel may have used Alizée, but they also made her famous and if not rich, at least well off ( is she?). They produced some incredibly beautiful music and performances. The likes of which I doubt I will ever see again. They're gone. What's left. A still incredibly beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. But there's been a lot of beautiful woman come along who've had one hit and then just faded into oblivion. Without good music they were doomed and so to is Alizée's career.

I pray that she keeps trying but what I want most for her is for her to be happy whether she keeps singing or decides to retire. I'm just thankful for all the joy she has brought into my life.

To quote a line from Youpidoo
J'ai le moral au grand zéro.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 10-15-2008 at 02:47 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM
l´ordre d'Alizée

Tiwaz is on a distinguished road

c'mon i can't stand all this negative crap. This was her first attempt to stand on her own feet and it havent really worked out. Why? I dont know really. The music isnt that bad, it's just to many different styles on the album like hiphop, jazz, electro pop, pop rock etc. if you want to succeed you have to go one way, not ten. Alizee is not hiphop = doing a rap song is obviously going to fail. She needs to find her own style and get back some of that magic from the old days.
Even if she doesn’t hit it big like before, i hope she keeps on doing music the way she wants to.

<3

Last edited by Tiwaz; 10-15-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM
A man in black

MonteCristo is on a distinguished road

A doomsday speech. the world should elect you to write one, your really good at it. very well spoken scruffy (or rather, written). Alizée would either have to adapt to survive, meaning she has to compete against the songs that made her famous, and not only that, she'll have to win. Or, she can retire. I dont like her retiring anymore than anyone of her fans. Its such a waste to have her influence not recognized, after all the way shes came from age 14 to now.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I *am* okey dokey

YesterdaysAirRace is on a distinguished road
Default Regarding the Arrangements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Not only wasn't her new material very good but she made the huge mistake of re-orchestrating all the tremendously beautiful music of her first two albums.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...or scold me for having just lifted this from another thread here, for all I remember...but I thought the original arrangements and choreography were owned by her previous handlers. Thus she'd either have to license them (assuming she could) or "cover" them (which she did).
Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

About Stalingrad, it was the single most bloodiest battle in human history
Hey guys just to let you know the economy seems to be bouncing back. The other day the DJI rose 900 something points. Biggest ever in 1 secession. Its bouncing up and down now but it seems to be slowly going up. As of now its at -492.70, we shall see how it closes out for the day.
Back to Alizee, I think and hope she will pull through. I still think she shouldn't have left Farmer though

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 10-15-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Blacksmith/knifemaker

woohoo is on a distinguished road

Psychédélices was a test album to see if she was still liked and what kind music her fans liked the most. Thats why there is such a diverse arrange of genres. People responded avidly to 50-60 and Lilly town so Alizee took this and I believe that she is working on a new album that people will really like and she will come roaring back on the wings of angels.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickwoo2
Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

I agree scruffy that the new versions of her old music is not even close to the originals, that what I have seen of her Psychedelics tour isn't up to par. Because of the video and acoustic quality I can't make a definitive decision about the over all quality of her concerts. I wasn't even impressed with Psychelelics at first, but it has grown on me and I like it very much today.

With all of that said, this is the first attempt for Alizee to make a comback after 4 yrs. out of the limelite. A tough hill to climb for any music artist especially someone famous In France, parts of Europe and Asia. The numbers just aren't there. Mexico is still her best hope.
A true artist as I think Alizee is and part of her character that I love she took a chance to leave a safe and successful music career that didn't obviously fit Alizee to pursue what is truly Alizee come what may.

A true artist is motivated by that fire in the belly to produce what moves their spirit and not necessarily will be popular to anyone else. The icing on the cake is to be successful monetarily to be able to continue to practice their art. I think that she made a calculated decision as real artists do to not let fame and success to be the endgame.

Alizee has given much joy to her fans and the fans have given their hard earned money in appreciation. Nobody owes anyone anything. To my knowledge Alizee has never broken promises to anyone or done or said anything that she has not come through on. The concert being cancelled was beyond her control.

I hope selfishly that Alizee continues to make music, but if not I support her on anything she chooses to do. I would much prefer her to do what is in her heart than be miserable as a pop star. Someone with character will not make that choice.

Last edited by pepelepew; 10-15-2008 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Vista is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee's Business Skills

Following is an excerpt of a post I made yesterday on a different forum:

"Alizee, in her time with Mylene Farmer, developed her innate artistic talent. Also during this process, she probably learned a few business skills as well. I view Alizee’s current situation as that of developing her business skills. Given time, I have faith that Alizee will incrementally develop her success, both as an artist and as a business."
Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I like Alizée's current album and music. I agree that the album doesn't have a song on it that has "huge hit" potential, but it's still a fine collection of songs that are well done. She has been very successful in Mexico. I think it's mostly a matter of not being able to reconnect with the French people. She had her moment there in the past and it's hard to recreate those kinds of moments again.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Logical Progression

Tomtentp is on a distinguished road

Here we go again...

Nice guesses you got there Scruffy, but guesses they remain. Please, don't waste more time by dwelling in such thoughts. Have it ever occured to you that the reason for the retilation on these thoughts of yours is simply because they are unnecessary and not because they are unlikely?

Sure, Alizées career might end tomorrow, sure her music might never reach
the glory of her previous work and sure, her current management teams lousyness might bring her to a certain doom. But it's still just speculations, you can't know this, so how about just leaving it and do something creative instead?

You might be right thou, im not saying your ideas are stupid or unlogical in any way. But what do you wish to achieve by discussing them over and over again? Being able to say "I told you so" when it happens?

I think we should direct this energy on better things such as supporting Alizée, finding solutions to the problems and most importantly doing something about it to improve the situation (for us and indirectly for Alizée). Cus if we don't do anything to change the situation, all we can do is guess, and that will get us nowhere.

Im not saying your not allowed to discuss what you want, but this subject have been stressed to the limit already and in my eyes only contribute nothing but negative energy towards Alizée. Let's concentrate on the important thing instead, Alizée. Put her management her music aside for a second.

Do you think she would do anything to deliberatly hurt anybody or anything in this world for money or welfare of any kind?

She is one of the most compassionate creatures I know of, she is the female version of Ghandi. She wouldn't hurt a fly damnit! Well, maybe if it were really, really, REALLY small and annoying...

Do you think that if she, while knowing her career were going for a certain doom or while not supporting her music with her full heart, would still go on without caring?

The reason that she jumped off the whole Mf/Lb charade was just because of this...

Im my eyes, she have fully proven these two statements to be false. I have full confidence that she will always do the right thing, and that's all that matters to me.

... I see avatar people...

L´Ordre D'Alizée!