Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road
Default My Psychédélices epiphany

Ok, so I was listening to Psychédélices once again and I don't know why I didn't see/hear this sooner but: This album is so very good.

Some songs have really nice orchestration and subtle little details (and it is details that can make the difference between a good and a great song IMHO) that really make it special. Most of songs are not as "easy on the ears" as those on Gourmandises and Mes Courants Électriques but most of it is also more interesting. Alizée has definitely made big progress as an artist with this album. Which is good since she can't be the cute lolita forever.

So all the people who don't like the new stuff: Give it another listen!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

For the most part, I agree with you. I wrote a review shortly after the album came out saying much the same thing. My only criticism is that the album lacks a "huge hit" song. Of course you can't just "plan" on writing a song like that. They just come to you, or they don't.

The songs are all good, well written, arranged, performed and recorded. It is overall a very fine collection of songs. This album is something for which Alizée (and Jérémy too) can be very proud. I think most of the criticism of Psychédélices has been unfair and I think it should be doing much better in sales than it is. But it's hard to fight against peoples' personal tastes and expectations.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Blacksmith/knifemaker

woohoo is on a distinguished road

I agree with lefty. The album is very good but it did not have that huge hit they had hoped for. The Alizee team tried to force 50-60 to become a huge it but it did not happen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickwoo2
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

I'm still sad, very sad, that 50/60 wasn't released as a first single with the promotional capacity of M.J.
I.m.h.o. things would have turned out totally different.

Still remember that little snipped of 50/60 when it was leaked.
I was so shure of a hit...
I still love that song to death.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I always liked MJ more than 50/60 and still do. :shrug: Dunno, maybe you're right.

Anyway, I agree with dreamer and lefty again. It's a great album with lots of interesting details, just missing that one knock-out single.

Last edited by Ben; 10-30-2008 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I always liked MJ more than 50/60 and still do. :shrug:
Heh. I prefer FS to MJ, but I've always felt that both paled in comparison to Lilly Town...so there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. How anybody winds up with a hit record when music is such a subjective thing, I have no idea...but this is probably why I work in retail, and not the music business.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

I'm with everyone else on this, I like Psychédélices a lot, except for two songs (the title cut and L'effet), and even those are growing on me and I can recognize them for very good examples of styles of music I don't like much.

(I'm not sure why Her Grace likes L'effet so much other than the subject matter. Motherhood . . .«C'est MA FILLE, elle est PARFAIT !»)

Anyway, I think a lot of her old fans were expecting a return of the old Alizée, and didn't get it. I wasn't, so I wasn't disappointed. I gained a lot of respect for her ability to pull top talent together and make it all work. Also for Jérémy as a composer, although of course it's not all his work.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Heh. I prefer FS to MJ, but I've always felt that both paled in comparison to Lilly Town...so there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. How anybody winds up with a hit record when music is such a subjective thing, I have no idea...but this is probably why I work in retail, and not the music business.
Music Business?
Ways to make it big in Music in the 21st century:

1.) Be a rapper and spin a stolen beat over and over again while saying "Ho!"
2.) Join Coldplay
3.) Illegal methods of infiltrating and terminating careers of every other musician.

As I stated time and time again.
Welcome to the 21st century! (disclaimer warning)
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Psychédélices is avery good album, once you realize that its a new style and the first album without MF/LB help . And I like this new style, I get excited when I hear decollage, its something new that we have never heard.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Heh. I prefer FS to MJ, but I've always felt that both paled in comparison to Lilly Town
Yes, I feel the same way! Lilly Town is the catchiest song of the album IMHO. It has a very nice xylophone (at least that's what I think it is) playing in the background that could have been a little more accentuated because it is this interplay with the main melody that brings out the magic in the refrain. Like I said, details matter a lot.