Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

My mistake, they are 168 gr. I think I will try out the Hornady and Nosler. I've already got an idea how the Sierra shoot, so once I manage to find the die set, I can load, then compare. I'm hoping to get 1" groupings at 100 yds or better.

I'm also really tempted to go back and get that 30-30 lever action. I've always wanted one, but I just got a new rifle. I don't know if I should spend more time with Lilly 2 before getting another. But if I wait too long, it could be gone by then.

Life's full of tough decisions.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed it's tough, I've always wanted a .357 mag. lever action but they always seem to be a little steep in price . I know I can push a 158 gr. .357 with a slow burning powder like H110 out of a 16-20" barrel in excess of the speeds of a 150 gr. 30-30 . so it'd be interesting to try, that and I have revolvers that hold the same ammo.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 AM

The main dilemma with me is right now, I cannot buy handgun ammo. So .45, .357, or .44 lever actions are out of the question. It isn't often that I see a 30-30 that is decently priced and happens to look exactly the way I want. Had I found that before I bought my Weatherby, I would have bought it then and there.

Edit:

On an unrelated note, me and some guys from work last night played a little game during lunch. It was if you could only own 5 guns in a disaster/survival situation (gov't breakdown, invasion, zombie apocalypse, etc.), what would they be and why? Thought it might be interesting to try here.

My five were:

1. SIG P226 9mm - They are reliable, built tough and accurate. Plus 9mm can be found pretty much everywhere.

2. Winchester Model 70 .308 - Good for long range shooting/hunting. Plus these are battle tested rifles that are extremely accurate.

3. SIG 556 5.56 -A more reliable AR platform good for self-defense.

4. Remington 870 12 ga. - Reliable shotgun with readily available parts and common ammunition. Good for hunting or self defense.

5. Ruger 10/22 .22 - Good for small game hunting, and ammo is really light and plentiful. Plus the 10/22 is a common gun, with easy to find parts and customizations.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
The main dilemma with me is right now, I cannot buy handgun ammo. So .45, .357, or .44 lever actions are out of the question. It isn't often that I see a 30-30 that is decently priced and happens to look exactly the way I want. Had I found that before I bought my Weatherby, I would have bought it then and there.
Not sure if it's different from state to state but I know here that you can't buy handgun ammo for a handgun, but you can buy it for a rifle if that makes any sense. Besides I don't think they restrict the sale of brass and unloaded bullets xD.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, me and some guys from work last night played a little game during lunch. It was if you could only own 5 guns in a disaster/survival situation (gov't breakdown, invasion, zombie apocalypse, etc.), what would they be and why? Thought it might be interesting to try here.

My five were:

1. SIG P226 9mm - They are reliable, built tough and accurate. Plus 9mm can be found pretty much everywhere.

2. Winchester Model 70 .308 - Good for long range shooting/hunting. Plus these are battle tested rifles that are extremely accurate.

3. SIG 556 5.56 -A more reliable AR platform good for self-defense.

4. Remington 870 12 ga. - Reliable shotgun with readily available parts and common ammunition. Good for hunting or self defense.

5. Ruger 10/22 .22 - Good for small game hunting, and ammo is really light and plentiful. Plus the 10/22 is a common gun, with easy to find parts and customizations.

I'd say that is a fine list. I don't know that I would say the sig is more reliable than an AR, they just simply have different problems that ail them

Interesting though 5 is a lot I'd probably have to go with...

1. Smith and Wesson 686 or Ruger GP100 in .357, it shoots the most common bullet in the country being the .38 special and will take the full power .357. highly accurate and reliable to boot.

2. High Standard Victor in .22 lr. reliable .22 and will out shoot most your standard .22 rifles with it's 5" barrel.

3. Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R, Heavy hitting utterly reliable accurate rifle.

4. PTR-91 in .308, can peg a man sized target at 600 plus and realiably stop them and Is the most problem free semi-auto platform in my experience which don't mean they don't have problems it just means I've had very few. The problems I do have well I can have fixed in a jiffy and have about any part I would need.

5. Remington 870 or Ithica featherlight- simply reliable

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Not sure if it's different from state to state but I know here that you can't buy handgun ammo for a handgun, but you can buy it for a rifle if that makes any sense. Besides I don't think they restrict the sale of brass and unloaded bullets xD.

I'd say that is a fine list. I don't know that I would say the sig is more reliable than an AR, they just simply have different problems that ail them

Interesting though 5 is a lot I'd probably have to go with...

1. Smith and Wesson 686 or Ruger GP100 in .357, it shoots the most common bullet in the country being the .38 special and will take the full power .357. highly accurate and reliable to boot.

2. High Standard Victor in .22 lr. reliable .22 and will out shoot most your standard .22 rifles with it's 5" barrel.

3. Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R, Heavy hitting utterly reliable accurate rifle.

4. PTR-91 in .308, can peg a man sized target at 600 plus and realiably stop them and Is the most problem free semi-auto platform in my experience which don't mean they don't have problems it just means I've had very few. The problems I do have well I can have fixed in a jiffy and have about any part I would need.

5. Remington 870 or Ithica featherlight- simply reliable

Regards,

Jung
Illinois gun laws suck majorly. If you aren't 21 you cannot buy ammunition that is considered handgun, even if it for a rifle. Plus, we are the last state in the country that doesn't have some form of a Concealed Carry Law. Didn't even think about reloading pistol ammo, so that could be an option.

I would say that the Sig is more reliable if not easier to maintain. Since it isn't a direct impingement system, it can run longer without lube, and if fouling becomes an issue, you can switch the gas rod to stage 2 to allow more gas to flow. The other day, a guy had a smith and wesson mp-15 and a casing blew in the chamber totally locking it down. There was no way to get it open without taking the barrel out, which takes time and tools. The Sig, like I said earlier, just needed a swift hit in the charging handle to get it unstuck.

I learned never play this game with people that play Call of Duty. They were saying guns like a Barrett .50, Desert Eagle, Rocket Launchers, Flame Throwers, etc. All I could do was It's nice to do this with someone that actually knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-01-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Plus, we are the last state in the country that doesn't have some form of a Concealed Carry Law.
Along with Wisconsin unless they've come to see the light recently

Quote:
Didn't even think about reloading pistol ammo, so that could be an option.

Quote:
I would say that the Sig is more reliable if not easier to maintain. Since it isn't a direct impingement system, it can run longer without lube, and if fouling becomes an issue, you can switch the gas rod to stage 2 to allow more gas to flow. The other day, a guy had a smith and wesson mp-15 and a casing blew in the chamber totally locking it down. There was no way to get it open without taking the barrel out, which takes time and tools. The Sig, like I said earlier, just needed a swift hit in the charging handle to get it unstuck.
it's all about the experience you have with them, there are things that can go wrong with a piston design that cant' with DI and the same applies the other way around. It even applies to my Delayed Roller Blowbacks. if you trust your system though that is what matters. I would trust a sig anyday myself

Quote:
I learned never play this game with people that play Call of Duty. They were saying guns like a Barrett .50, Desert Eagle, Rocket Launchers, Flame Throwers, etc. All I could do was It's nice to do this with someone that actually knows what he's talking about.
I could see picking a Dessert Eagle as they are honestly a very reliable handgun. I wouldn't take one in .50 AE though as they are the only ones I've found to actually have a high recoil.

Now if you could only pick one what would you pick?

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Along with Wisconsin unless they've come to see the light recently
Ironically, their new law took effect today at midnight.

Wisconsin concealed carry law takes effect

Quote:
it's all about the experience you have with them, there are things that can go wrong with a piston design that cant' with DI and the same applies the other way around. It even applies to my Delayed Roller Blowbacks. if you trust your system though that is what matters. I would trust a sig anyday myself
That is true. Personally, I find my Sig to be simpler and easier to figure out than an AR-15.

Quote:
I could see picking a Dessert Eagle as they are honestly a very reliable handgun. I wouldn't take one in .50 AE though as they are the only ones I've found to actually have a high recoil.
They just aren't my cup of tea. And based on the firearms experience these guys had...

Quote:
Now if you could only pick one what would you pick?
You had to make me think on my night off. Let's see...

It would have to be the Sig P220 in .45. In most disaster based scenarios, the action is usually going to be close range. Plus pistols are light and can provide decent firepower while giving you high mobility. And while it would be difficult to hunt with it, it would not be impossible. I chose the .45 instead of the 9mm to make up for the lack of rifles with power.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
They just aren't my cup of tea. And based on the firearms experience these guys had...
fair enough and true

Quote:
You had to make me think on my night off. Let's see...

It would have to be the Sig P220 in .45. In most disaster based scenarios, the action is usually going to be close range. Plus pistols are light and can provide decent firepower while giving you high mobility. And while it would be difficult to hunt with it, it would not be impossible. I chose the .45 instead of the 9mm to make up for the lack of rifles with power.
Not a bad choice, I'd probably take a Mosin Nagant or similar battle rifle in bolt action, as in a shtf I head for the country.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Not a bad choice, I'd probably take a Mosin Nagant or similar battle rifle in bolt action, as in a shtf I head for the country.
As for where I live now, it wouldn't make sense for me to have a long range weapon. Most of my fighting would be urban/suburban, and at that point the goal is to get the hell out of Dodge. I wouldn't want to be engaging targets long range if they don't know I exist. Basically, I'd probably rely on stealth and hopefully be able to escape unnoticed.

And while I love the Mosin Nagant, it would be way too loud for it to be practical for me.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:59 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
As for where I live now, it wouldn't make sense for me to have a long range weapon. Most of my fighting would be urban/suburban, and at that point the goal is to get the hell out of Dodge. I wouldn't want to be engaging targets long range if they don't know I exist. Basically, I'd probably rely on stealth and hopefully be able to escape unnoticed.

And while I love the Mosin Nagant, it would be way too loud for it to be practical for me.
Well it is actually quite a practical short range weapon too... you can take out hundreds with the fireball it spews 'least with the M44.

Regards,

Jung