Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 04-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Dead Island day in Corsica

It looks like Macron is flying into Corsica today to discuss nationalism with leaders of the island. Many of the island residents are calling this Isula Morta day (Dead Island), I guess in the belief that Macron has no desire to grant Corsica independence.

http://www.corsematin.com/

Attachment 2602

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-03-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
It looks like Macron is flying into Corsica today to discuss nationalism with leaders of the island. Many of the island residents are calling this Isula Morta day (Dead Island), I guess in the belief that Macron has no desire to grant Corsica independence.
It will be very interesting to hear the outcome of these discussions. You have to wonder, though, how accurate any press reporting will be. I guess we'll know based on the results.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
The desire for independence is a double-edged sword, in my opinion. "Be careful of what you hope for, in case it comes true" comes to mind.

Corsica must be a drag on the France GDP, so I don't really see the benefit of holding onto it outside of Corsica being in a very strategic location. It is so strategic that outside of a hundred plus years, they have never been independent. Corsica unemployment rate is higher than the mainland, and the residents definitely receive perks being a French citizen.

I think the Corsicans should think about post-independence (if it ever comes) and the fallout. Prime example is the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Both countries share the same Caribbean Island. While DR has enjoyed being one of the most affluent of the Latin American countries, Haiti is... well.... you know. The DR has diversified beyond being a tourist destination and hats off to them.

Corsica, like the DR, should look beyond being a tourist destination and offering services, like technology and medical. It is hard to survive as a country selling wine and produce only... just saying.