Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 AM

kulli is on a distinguished road
Default Your musical taste?

This graphic came into my mind when Eru777 mentioned the music genre "shoegaze" in a thread. Where do you Rank?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I'm wondering if Alizée music, which I consider pop should be not considered in this because at least for me, it really tilts the scale.

So I think I'm right at 2.0. Classic Rock being my favorite, then rock, then pop, then probably country and some metal. With only a few exceptions, I don't like Rap. I can't stand jazz and I think I need to get into a topic of some subcategories, such as brass. I really don't like it and that's the main factor why I don't like jazz.
Another subcategorie is strings. I really enjoy string music. This Eagles guitar part near the end of the song 'Holel California' is probably my all time favorite. Another piece of music that really blew me away of late was an electric violin cover song by Caitlin De Ville. She has about a dozen cover songs but this one imo is far and above the rest. On YouTube, it's titled 'Subeme La Radio (Enrique Iglesias) - Electric Violin Cover'. Subeme La Radio translates to Turn up the radio. On the chart in the opening post, I don't know what it should fall under.

http://youtu.be/-nmpVYcg23c?t=259

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 03-04-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Old 03-04-2018, 12:24 PM

kulli is on a distinguished road

Yeah some genres are missing like Classic, blues etc.
I listen to Rock, Pop, Rap no matter what year.
I like also 80´s Synth-Pop/downtempo and 70´s Disco music.
My favorite genre is oldschool EDM ( Level 4....) like Techno, House and especially Trance from the 90´s and early 2000´s.

The (Steve Helstrip Club Remix) of A Contre-Courant goes in that direction.

Trance encompasses such a wide range of sounds from the different sub genres. I love how it can take you on a journey. It's like you can just close your eyes and enjoy the beats, melody, vocal (if any), of each track that it gives you.

Earth Nation - Elucidate ( 1995) (Trance)
At 2:24 when the melodie kicks in, this is what I mean....

Another example. Salt Tank- Eugina ( 1994) They don't make music like this anymore

Here is a live Version of Sasha´s Xpander ( 1999) ( progressive House) with a orchestra.

Last edited by kulli; 03-04-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I love talking music, so great topic! I have over 15000 titles in my music collection, and I have to admit that I do not have one song from the ones you posted. That song by Salt Tank is actually very good. I think there is a distinct difference in the types of modern music that is made in Europe vs the US. I find electronic music goes over much better in Europe than in the US.

I spend every Sunday afternoon listening to Classical music, so that automatically puts me in the "Weird" category.

I was a teenager in the 1970's, and for those who liked rock like I did, it was a great decade to be a teen. So many great bands released their debut in that decade, and concerts were cheap. I saw so many concerts that my ears have never been the same!

Going into the 80's, i diverged from my hard rock background and followed the New Wave/Punk scene. I didn't dress punk, but stuff from the Ramones, The Clash, the B-52's, Police, etc. was so new and energetic, it was a welcome change.

I never liked the Hair Bands during the 80's except for a select few. The British were invading our shores with bands that you didn't know who was a girl or a guy. I was very thankful for the Grunge movement, and I enjoyed a lot of the music of the 90's, with the kings of grunge, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, etc.

I went back to my roots in the last 15 years or so. I was not finding new stuff very appealing at all. I don't like Hip Hop much. There were some good alternative bands, like Weezer, that put out good music. But I find myself completing my collection of music from some of my favorite bands, like Rush and Frank Zappa. I have always had a thing for progressive rock, as the amount of musicianship is so further advanced than your standard rock bands.

Living in Texas in the past for 30 years, I did follow country for a while, but the band had to have a fiddle and steel guitar. Country moved towards more of a rock sound, and I lost interest.

A sub-genre of country would be Bluegrass, which I still listen to a lot. There is a woman with a voice like an angel named Alison Krauss, who has won 27 Grammy awards. I have seen her in concert and she sounds just as good live as on a record.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Miam Miam!

eru777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
This graphic came into my mind when Eru777 mentioned the music genre "shoegaze" in a thread. Where do you Rank?

Lol'd
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM

VitaminAlizée333 is on a distinguished road

Level 7?

Listen to what I want to hear, so anything goes.

Country has a limit though

Last edited by VitaminAlizée333; 03-06-2018 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Reason for Editing:Edited
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 AM

Listening to this on repeat <3

I like the buildup than the release at the end with these emotions
I can actually say safely this fits me and shows why I like to sleep in late, like "show what I feel" kinda thing...

Last edited by VitaminAlizée333; 06-23-2018 at 01:10 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylee View Post
Nightwish, within temptation, andrea, and symphonic metal in general.
I had to look these up on YouTube. I played quite a bit of the Nightwish concert in Wacken. They are off the metal "mainstream" sound to make them interesting. I have always been into the progressive bands in rock from way back. I seem to never tire of their music.

The whole symphonic element - do you have any musical background playing an instrument in an orchestra? What turned you on to this style of music?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Nightwish, within temptation, andrea, and symphonic metal in general.
What about Black metal?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No black metal for me. Never played an instrument. I just love orchestras and metal.
I played tuba in an orchestra when I was in school, because everybody knows chicks think tuba players are hot. Actually I was "selected" to play it by the music director (who knows why - maybe he thought I looked like I had a lot of hot air), and then forced to play it by my parents who said "it was something you will be thankful for". After a few years, I still wasn't thankful, and my tuba career graciously came to an end.

When I was little, like 8, I was "forced" to take accordion lessons by my obviously eastern European parents, as well as my sister. I thought it was the worst, but my sis got pretty good and played in accordion concerts. We laugh about it now, and every so often get it from her basement and mess with it. South of the border, I would be like a rock star with my accordion skills.

I taught myself acoustic guitar in my teens and am so-so. No time to practice now. I have a brand new bass guitar and amp in the basement that I have had for years that I wanted to learn, and there it still is, brand new and untouched.