Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 08-31-2018, 12:03 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I am just stating that I do not want to see the web page abandoned. It is a (relatively) physical place, which Alizée fans can easily find.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:52 AM

comjoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
One thing I'd like to do on our home page is to have a different picture every week. There are so many beautiful pictures of her from many different years, that it's a shame to have the same one up for months.
Ok then, for the first week I recommend this moment captured on the pic:

25.2.2000 grainedestars

Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I am just stating that I do not want to see the web page abandoned. It is a (relatively) physical place, which Alizée fans can easily find.
Understood. The archives on this site are valuable and would never suggest we start over. I should have been more clear in my post.

To All:

It looks like we are all agreeing that the landing page needs an update. I would suggest that we get ourselves positioned to be able to make changes before too much time passes and momentum dies down.

If I am understanding correctly, Ben owns the license to the web software and he is no longer an active member. This site started back in the day when leasing forum templates in the cloud was not an option. Probably a software package was purchased and modified locally on somebody's computer (I assuming Ben) with some HTML editor tool like Adobe Dreamweaver. It was then uploaded to a web server hosted by an ISP. So, there was an initial purchase cost of the software which I would guess would be around $300 since it supported forums.

Being that I have known many people who don't do regular backups of their computer and have lost everything at least once in their life, I am hoping the original source code is still intact.

There are a couple of directions we could go.

We can see if Ben is willing to get involved again and make the changes for us and keep things status quo. If he agrees to do this, I think we should ask if he could zip up the modified source code and give it to Ray or Scruffy that could be kept on their google drive for backup. I have seen too many grown-ups cry when their hard drives decide to quit working one day and they have no backup

The other option is if he moved on or has no time to support this site. We can make an offer for the source code and hope he would sell the license outright. It would be up to one of us to make changes and we can move forward.

I guess there is a third option... that Ben never responds. We can cross that bridge if it is necessary.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Is there a draft of updates which we want on homepage? I can contact Ben for the update.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 08-31-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Old 09-01-2018, 03:23 AM

LE_LOUP_DES_STEPPES is on a distinguished road

Bring back the Alizée bar and grill
Old 09-04-2018, 03:43 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alizée Jacotey is a French singer from Ajaccio, Corsica. She has sold more than five million records and taken part in performances throughout the world.

She debuted in 2000 with the hit single, Moi... Lolita, produced by French music legends Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat, with whom she collaborated on two studio albums, a European tour, and a 2004 live recording.

After a three year hiatus, Alizée returned to the limelight with a new team of artists for the disc Psychédélices, which she supported with a successful concert series in Mexico. She followed this in 2010 by the 80s-themed concept album, "Une Enfant du Siècle". On release day, a private autograph signing was held for members of this forum.

In 2013, Alizée released her fifth album, 5, inspired by her past experiences and relationships. Later that year, she took part in France’s Dancing With The Stars (Danse Avec Les Stars), winning the competition after a dramatic season, and forming a relationship with partner Gregoire Lyonnet. Blonde followed soon after, returning the singer to her pop beginnings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
My dear, she's really answering my prayers. The dark melancholic 80ies sound and her beautiful deep velvet voice. Just listen to that intro with the 80ies drumming, awesome. The chorus, tends to get slightly repetitive, but I never ever want it to stop
The description currently says 60s-themed, which I think is incorrect. UEDS may be based on Edie Sedgwick, but the album has a strong 80s influence.

I changed that part and kept most of the original text, while adding a bit on 5, DALS, Gregoire, and Blonde. I also added a little on the private autograph session from 2010, because I felt it would add a bit more weight or relevance to this forum within the fandom to new fans who may not know about it.

What do you all think? If anyone would like to offer an edit or alternative version, please feel free to do so! When we're satisfied, we can then finally update the homepage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE_LOUP_DES_STEPPES View Post
Bring back the Alizée bar and grill
Hear hear!

Last edited by Fall; 09-04-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
What do you all think? If anyone would like to offer an edit or alternative version, please feel free to do so! When we're satisfied, we can then finally update the homepage.
I have been taking some mental notes of some things that members had commented in chat or in a forum post that would improve the web site, plus I have my own ideas. I am just going to list them all out in bullet points so I can just get them all out there in one place. This is a "wish list" only and there are no expectations tied to them.

What makes the suggestion process difficult in this case is we do not know what the limitations are, whether it be a limitation of talent, money, time or the software this site was developed with. In any case, here is the list.

* Allow non-registered users to view chat, but not be able to post until they register. Have it viewable from the landing page. (of course, some recent conversations would have to be scrubbed).

* Adding language packs to the site to attract international members. A few language that come to mind is Spanish, Russian, and French.

* Convert the landing page to HTML5 for a more modern, dynamic experience. Some of our younger members had expressed that a redesign of the site to something more modern would be appropriate.

* Update the forum to a more recent version but still retain all history.

* Change the strategy in which site donations are collected. There should be more transparency of annual operating costs, financial goals should be made viewable to members and progress toward goals should be regularly updated.

* A forum should be created that is private to members only. This thread is a good example of something that should not be visible to non-members.

* How about a forum for other French singers? There might be a thread created for Lorie, once the web crawlers do their business, a Lorie fan might end up on this site after a web search.

* The landing page is probably what most chatter has been about. There is at least one dead link, and the Podcast is not relevant anymore. It can be a work in progress and evolve in steps, but taking that first step has been the hardest.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Against The Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
* Allow non-registered users to view chat, but not be able to post until they register. Have it viewable from the landing page. (of course, some recent conversations would have to be scrubbed).
I think part of the attraction to the chat is the privacy that only other members can see it. It was public for a while when it replaced the "Bar & Grill" chat feature, and it was made private I think at the request of members who had used the Bar & Grill. That chat feature was sort of like an old school chat room that announced your entrance and exit from the room to others there, I suppose it helps to know who you're talking to, and who's "just watching." I'm not against making it public once again, especially if it helps the forum.

Quote:
* Adding language packs to the site to attract international members. A few language that come to mind is Spanish, Russian, and French.
Can you explain what you mean by language packs? As a native Spanish speaker I would welcome the opportunity to chat and interact with other Spanish speaking Alizée fans, I would imagine with the upcoming shows in Mexico that they will have lots to say.

Quote:
* Convert the landing page to HTML5 for a more modern, dynamic experience. Some of our younger members had expressed that a redesign of the site to something more modern would be appropriate.

* Update the forum to a more recent version but still retain all history.
Sounds good to me

Quote:
* Change the strategy in which site donations are collected. There should be more transparency of annual operating costs, financial goals should be made viewable to members and progress toward goals should be regularly updated.
I would welcome this as well, but I have no contact with Ben myself, and I've never been a mod on this forum so I don't have any insight to the behind-the-scenes stuff

Quote:
* A forum should be created that is private to members only. This thread is a good example of something that should not be visible to non-members.
I think this would help if we were to make the chat public like I mentioned.

Quote:
* How about a forum for other French singers? There might be a thread created for Lorie, once the web crawlers do their business, a Lorie fan might end up on this site after a web search.
There are multiple threads for other artists and genres. I started a Michael Jackson thread. Those threads are certainly welcome in the Other Subjects forum, but they never get much attention. Most people end up here for Alizée only.

Mylène
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7808
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2587
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248

Yelle
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4407
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731

Ewa Farna
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5098

Sade
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6369

The metal thread
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4131

The Hip-Hop Thread
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5568

Quote:
* The landing page is probably what most chatter has been about. There is at least one dead link, and the Podcast is not relevant anymore. It can be a work in progress and evolve in steps, but taking that first step has been the hardest.
The dead link I think, is Alizée's official website, but I guess the podcast isn't relevant anymore. It was a significant part of my early fan experience because at the time it was somewhat recent, but those days are now long gone. Maybe we can replace it with the Instagram page, since the Twitter and Facebook are linked as well. Merci Alizée and Ray gave me free reign to update it around January '14 and I posted regularly for about a year, a little over. I may start posting again now that there is more buzz with the shows and the forum changes.

Edit - the AAm Instagram has 250 posts and 350 followers

Last edited by Fall; 09-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: IG stats
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
Can you explain what you mean by language packs? As a native Spanish speaker I would welcome the opportunity to chat and interact with other Spanish speaking Alizée fans, I would imagine with the upcoming shows in Mexico that they will have lots to say.
Language packs are forum plug-ins to support whatever languages that you want. You have seen the language pull-down menus on web sites where it converts all the text to the language you select? I believe this is a vBulletin forum site and I checked their web site and vBulletin does support multi-languages, but I am not sure if this version of vBulletin does, since it has to be at least 10 years old.

But you are right about Spanish speaking Alizee fans having a lot to say. We have an active member right now whose first language is Spanish. At least half of the comments left on Alizee's YouTube videos are languages besides English and I am not optimistic that Alizee plans to sing in the US. It would be great to hear from those who went to her Mexico City concert and elsewhere without language being a barrier.

I have more responses but would like to wait until some others chime in.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Against The Current

We've had a few members drop by the forum who aren't usually active, just giving this thread a bump so they can see it.